Make Deep Cross-Cultural Connections Through Music with a Master’s in Ethnomusicology – Global Studies
Music is at the heart of almost every culture in the world. As an ethnomusicologist, you can gain a deeper understanding of cultures across the globe. If this sounds interesting to you, Liberty University’s Master of Arts (MA) in Ethnomusicology – Global Studies online degree might be what you are looking for. This unique degree takes the musical skills of ethnomusicology and combines them with the intercultural communication skills learned in global studies for a career-oriented degree that prepares you for global engagement.
In addition to providing a strong foundation in scholarship and research, non-Western music theory, and the application of resources to the field, this degree can help you learn how to communicate with people who hold diverse global worldviews. Ethnomusicology is a perfect degree that matches the ability to communicate cross-culturally you can learn from global studies.
Gaining a basic understanding of the music of another culture can be vital to establishing trust and a relationship with its people. This program can equip musicians like you to pursue music careers in cross-cultural environments, education, and research, which is an essential part of what global studies is all about. Liberty University’s online ethnomusicology global studies degree is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and offered 100% online – giving you the flexibility to further your education without putting your life on hold.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Ethnomusicology and Global Studies Online?
Our master’s in ethnomusicology and global studies online degree program is taught by trained musicians, ethnomusicologists, and global studies experts with real-world experience in various cultural settings. Our professors have worked in locations around the world – studying a broad range of music while teaching and engaging with other cultures.
If there is a particular area of music that fascinates you, then this program will provide the vehicle you need to study it. From the music of Eastern Europe to the sounds of China and more, you will have the opportunity to collect material related to your interest. This global studies and ethnomusicology online degree provides the training you need to reach other cultures and experience a cross-cultural exchange that is made possible through music.
Our master’s in ethnomusicology program is offered completely online. This allows you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus – all while you are being equipped to make a difference in the world!
What Are the Benefits of Earning Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology – Global Studies Online?
- Be a part of one of the largest and fastest-growing music schools in the nation
- Compose music in the style of the people you serve
- Develop skills in communicating through oral storytelling
- Engage with cultures across the globe
- Establish records for music history and promote knowledge of world music
- Gain a well-rounded education emphasizing research, performance, and application
- Pursue opportunities to work in settings and cultures throughout the world
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Ethnomusicology – Global Studies Online Degree?
Every person on earth is like a piece of music – no 2 people are the same. We designed our ethnomusicology master’s degree to take that into account and to be as unique as you are. You can personalize your study and choose the course that best meets your professional or personal goals. Additionally, our faculty have taught and worked in locations across the globe. They will help guide you as you gain foundational knowledge in ethnic music theory, anthropology, organology, and transcription.
One unique aspect of this online global studies degree specialization is the chance you have to combine cross-cultural communication using stories and other forms of engagement with the power of music. You can develop your skills in oral communication and learn how to use stories to bring communities together. You will also be able to choose from a wide range of seminars in world music from the cultures of your choosing. Some examples of the seminars available include Native American, Middle Eastern, Indian, Eastern European, Indonesian, and more.
Your studies will culminate in a thesis or capstone project that will integrate knowledge you have gained through this program with practical research in the field of ethnomusicology. Our faculty’s vast years of experience and leadership in this field can help guide you on this fascinating journey as you finalize your studies. Join Liberty as you learn how to reach other cultures at the heart of who they are.
- ETHM 530 – Worship and Culture
- ETHM 611 – Arts in Global Engagement
- GLST 650 – Intercultural Communication*
- GLST 655 – Orality – The Power of Story*
*For more information about the specifics of these courses, please contact an admissions counselor at (800) 424-9596.
Highlights of Our MA in Ethnomusicology Online – Global Studies Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online ethnomusicology degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- This program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- You can complete our graduate ethnomusicology global studies program in as little as 1.5 years!
- This degree offers networking opportunities with other ethnomusicology online students from across the country.
Potential Career Options with a Global Studies Ethnomusicology Degree
- Cross-cultural worker
- Global nonprofit and non-governmental organization (NGO) service worker
- Intercultural music outreach worker
- Music anthropology researcher
- Music director
- Music teacher
Master’s in Ethnomusicology Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Ethnomusicology Degree Online Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
- Online Database Resources: As one of the world’s leaders in online education programs, Liberty University has the technological capacity and resources to provide for the unique needs required in the ethnomusicology program. This includes library database subscriptions to Groves, Smithsonian Global Sound, Garland Encyclopedia, Oxford Handbooks, and JSTOR, to name a few.
Admission Requirements for the MA in Ethnomusicology – Global Studies
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree in music or a related field with a GPA of 3.0 or above is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Recommender Contact Information
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.