Why Choose Liberty University’s Helms School of Government for Your Minor?
A minor is a way to supplement your degree with knowledge in a specialized area of either personal or professional interest. Your bachelor’s major will be the focus of your degree, but this secondary area of study can expand your career options by incorporating another field of study. Even if your major isn’t in government or criminal justice, you can add a minor from the Helms School of Government to widen your marketability for public service roles.
Just like in Liberty’s online bachelor’s degrees, you can take 100% of our minor courses online. This online format allows you the flexibility to stay connected with your family, your church, and your community while studying in the comfort of your home or office. With many bachelor’s degrees, adding a minor (or two) may not add any extra time to your degree completion, so a minor can be a great way to expand your options at no added cost!
Your Minors from the School of Government Will Be an Added Plus to Your Degree
Your minor does not have to be related to your degree, but it does help to reduce the number of credits you might have to take to graduate. Some minors pair well with any degree, while others are better suited for a specific area of study. Here are some suggested pairings for the minors offered from Helms School of Business:
- Criminal Justice – Pairs well with our Bachelor of Science in Social Work and the Bachelor of Science in Political Science
- Ethics – Pairs well with a Bachelor of Science in Government or Bachelor of Science in Political Science
- Homeland Security – Pairs well with a Bachelor of Science in Government or Criminal Justice: Strategic Intelligence
- Public Administration – Pairs well with a Bachelor of Science in Government or Political Science
- Strategic Intelligence – Pairs well with a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice – Homeland Security
If you have any question about which minor might be right for you, contact an Admissions Counselor at (800) 424-9595. Please note that you will declare your intended minor(s) after beginning your bachelor’s degree.
How Many Minors Can You Have?
Minors can only be added to bachelor’s degrees and may be used to fill in general electives in your degree plan. You can pursue as many minors as you want, but more than one minor will likely add to the overall length of your degree plan beyond the normal 120 credit hour length. Speak with an Academic Advisor about adding a minor and how it will affect your degree completion time once you begin your online bachelor’s degree.
What are the Highlights of an Online Minor from Liberty University?
Our online degree programs offer students great benefits:
- Earning your degree or certificate from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility sets you apart from others.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years and counting. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set log in times.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 for undergraduate (per credit hour).
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set log in times.
- Potential college credit for military training.
Minor Program Format
- 15 -18 credit hours
- 50% of minors must be completed through Liberty University courses unless otherwise specified*
- Only available to add to an online bachelor’s degree
- You must be currently enrolled in your bachelor’s degree to declare a minor
- More than one minor can be pursued but may add to overall program length
* Military students are required to complete at least one course in their minor at Liberty.