Protect and Serve the Nation with a Bachelor’s in Homeland Security
When natural and humanmade hazards hit, the Department of Homeland Security is there to keep both lives and property safe. Liberty University’s online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice – Homeland Security degree can help you develop your professional skills and understand the delicate internal workings of the Department of Homeland Security.
At Liberty, we have created our homeland security degree with your success in mind. You can gain the knowledge you need to work in a variety of careers in criminal justice, government, and homeland security. Designed to be completed in 4 years or less, this is more than an anti-terrorism degree online. You will gain broad foundational knowledge of the criminal justice system as well as other topics related to homeland security.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Homeland Security Bachelor’s Degree?
Are you looking for a career that will help you protect and serve your country? Liberty University’s homeland security degree program will help you make a difference in the lives of those affected by disasters and prevent terrorist attacks before they occur. Also, we strive to teach our programs from a Christian worldview and use the power of faith and education to transform people and the world.
Our homeland security degree program can help you stand out as an ethical and value-driven professional. Learn to serve your community and country with the skill set necessary to serve in security, disaster response, anti-terrorism, and intelligence.
What Can You Do with a Homeland Security Degree?
Americans living and working abroad have had systems and measures in place for their protection for a long time. After 9/11 happened, our government realized the need for a specialized agency that was dedicated to the protection of Americans here at home. The scope of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is quite broad. Still, the agency itself has a highly focused commitment to protecting us from human-made threats such as terrorism, natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires, and floods, and public health crises, which could be human-made or natural.
There are currently 22 departments and agencies which fall under the umbrella of DHS. Here are just a few of the areas you might be able to work for if you choose to pursue a career with DHS:
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- U.S. Secret Service
There are other agencies outside of DHS that handle domestic law enforcement and protection of lives and property such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice – Homeland Security Degree Program?
Liberty’s homeland security major can equip you with the skill set needed to protect your country and its citizens. Reviewing the history of terrorist threats and the United States’ strategic responses to those events will prepare you to react to future incidents. You will be introduced to emergency preparedness tactics, such as command arrangements, coordination, and budgetary issues seen among emergency responders.
Identifying what infrastructure are possible targets and how to protect them is another critical part of homeland security. This might include agriculture, cyber and information technology, telecommunications, transportation, energy, and emergency services. You will understand the importance and impact on both personal safety and the economic performance of the nation.
You will also develop an awareness of the effect of human influence and behavior on disaster response and recovery. Understanding the post-traumatic effects of various kinds of disasters can help prepare for all possibilities that can occur due to disaster warnings, civil unrest, evacuations, and a variety of other scenarios.
You will also gain a strong understanding of the internal workings of the criminal justice system and the legislation that created the laws we have today. Our online bachelor’s degree in criminal justice can prepare you to protect and serve your country with focused research, engaging classes, and preparedness strategies.
- CJUS 380 – Introduction to Homeland Security
- CJUS 381 – Incident Command System/Emergency Planning and Incident Management
- CJUS 382 – Critical Infrastructure Protection
- CJUS 420 – Criminal Investigations
Generous Discount for Active Duty Law Enforcement and Other First Responders
Liberty University is committed to providing world-class education and aims to help students achieve their educational goals, in whatever way we can. The First Responder Tuition Discount was created to take some of the financial burdens of tuition off the men and women who work in public service. For more information on eligibility and claiming this discount, please visit the First Responder Discount Page.
As Liberty University’s way of saying ‘Thank You,’ we proudly provide you with the following benefits:
Benefits of Our Online Homeland Security Bachelor’s Degree Program
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks will be provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online homeland security degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Our program ranked as one of the Best Online Homeland Security Degree Programs according to BestColleges.com!
- As an online student, you will have the opportunity to network with leaders, policymakers, and experts in homeland security from across the country.
B.S. in Homeland Security Online Degree Program Information
- Download and review the bachelor’s in homeland security Degree Completion Plan.
- This online degree program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- View the Undergraduate Government Course Guides (login required).
- Do you more out of your degree? Add a minor (or two) to focus or expand your studies further.
Military Benefits of Our Online B.S. in Criminal Justice – Homeland Security Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
What Careers Can You Pursue with a Bachelor’s Degree in Homeland Security?
The bachelor of science in homeland security degree is designed to lead you to a career to protect and serve your community. Potential career fields include:
- Domestic and international terrorism
- Citizenship and immigration services
- Transportation security
Admission Requirements for Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.