Serve Your Community with an Online Bachelor’s in Social Work Degree from Liberty University
Do you want to make a difference in the world by offering healing hope to individuals, families, and communities — both nationally and internationally? Liberty University’s online Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSW) degree will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to address critical social situations and events through an understanding of human psychology. While completing Liberty’s online social work degree, you will learn to evaluate, engage, and intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
Our online social work degree will teach you important ethical principles and help you develop the critical thinking skills needed to adapt to a diverse world and provide care to hurting communities. Learn from industry professionals with real-world experience in human services, and get on-the-job experience in your community through social work field placements — all while fitting your education into your life with Liberty University’s flexible online learning environment.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Social Work Degree?
With Liberty’s bachelor’s in social work, you can help people in your own community or work with communities worldwide. Our online social work degree not only provides the skills and experience you need to become a caring, effective social worker but it also provides critical knowledge of human psychology, which is valuable in every people-focused industry. According to the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, psychology-related employment is expected to have above-average growth through 2026*, providing many new career opportunities for professionals with a bachelor’s in social work.
An online social work degree will benefit you whether you are pursuing a practical, rewarding career as a social worker, preparing for future graduate studies, or pursuing employment outside of the role of a social worker. With Liberty’s online bachelor’s degree in social work, you’ll earn a versatile degree through a flexible learning environment that fits into your life.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Social Work Degree?
Improve your employment opportunities by demonstrating your knowledge of strategic human services and relevant experience in the field.
Lay the groundwork for graduate studies that will prepare you for a career in advanced research or clinical counseling.
- Increase your earning potential by completing a marketable bachelor’s degree in social work while gaining valuable, real-world experience during your field placements.
- Network with your peers and professors on our beautiful campus in Central Virginia during your social work degree program’s five-day, on-campus intensive.
- While completing our online social work degree, you can complete coursework on your time and access your online materials any time of day with our flexible online learning environment.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition
What Will You Learn in Our Online Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work?
Through Liberty’s online social work classes, you’ll receive specialized training in assessments, intervention strategies, and counseling techniques that will prepare you to practice as a human services professional in diverse communities. As a social worker, you will be empowered to help families and individuals of varying ages and racial and economic backgrounds make positive changes. With Liberty’s online social work degree, you’ll not only gain social work-specific skills that will prepare you for a variety of rewarding careers of future graduate work but you’ll also acquire the interdisciplinary skills required to succeed in the marketplace today.
Featured Social Work Courses
- SOWK 300 – Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- SOWK 350 – Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families
- SOWK 355 – Social Work Practice with Groups
- SOWK 439 – International Social Work Field Experience*
*Course Guide is not currently available
Highlights of Our Online Social Work Degree
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 4 years – and counting.
To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- By earning your Bachelor of Science of Social Work from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in this field.
- Our social work degree has been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Learn field-tested techniques for addressing human services issues in your community.
- Complete field placements in your area that allow you to learn under practicing agents and demonstrate real-world experience to future employers.
Similar Degree Programs
For a more generalized and customizable human services degree, you may be interested in Liberty University’s online Bachelor of Science in Psychology.
Online Social Work Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- View the online B.S. in Social Work Degree Completion Plan for the list of official course content and suggested sequence.
- View the Undergraduate Behavioral Sciences Course Syllabi (login required).
- Our online bachelor’s in social work degree requires one 3-credit-hour on-campus intensive and four to eleven credit-hour field placements.
- Upon declaring this major, students will pursue the Gate process to gain approval into the program. Please see the Social Work Gates page for more information.
- Visit the Online Field Experience page for more information about the two social work field placements.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Potential Career Options with an Online Social Work Degree
- Child welfare worker
- Medical social worker
- Adoptions clinician
- Addictions and mental health specialist
- School social worker
While our online social work degree provides you with specialized training and experience that will prepare you to become a social worker, the knowledge and practical skillsets you’ll gain will also meet a critical demand for human services expertise in many industries. Learning skills and gaining hands-on experience in human services may lead to career opportunities in research, criminal justice, education, government, and other important interpersonal roles. The online social work degree will prepare you to fill the ever-increasing needs in private, public, and nonprofit markets for people-focused understanding, making you a valuable human services asset.
Admission Requirements for Our Online B.S. in Social Work Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. If the GPA is less than a 2.0, the applicant will be considered for acceptance on caution. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English Proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.