Serve Your Community with an Online Bachelor’s in Social Work Degree from Liberty University
Do you want to offer hope to individuals, families, and communities — both locally and statewide? If so, you may be interested in becoming a social worker with advanced training from Liberty University.
If you’re not interested in attending class on a residential campus but you’d like to work towards becoming a social worker, degrees online are available. Of those options, Liberty offers one of the most affordable, credible, and respected BSW degrees online.
Our online Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSW) degree can help you tackle critical social challenges through an understanding of human psychology. Learn to evaluate, engage with, and intervene for individuals, families, and communities. With the skills you gain from our online bachelor’s degree in social work, you can help the people of your community take a step toward healthier lives.
Our Bachelor of Social Work degree has been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Our online BSW degree can help you adapt to hurting communities in a diverse world. Learn from industry professionals with real-world experience in human services and get on-the-job experience in your community through social work field placements. Best of all, you can fit your education into your life with Liberty University’s flexible online learning environment.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Social Work Bachelor’s Degree?
With Liberty’s bachelor’s in social work, you can help people in your community or work with communities across the country. Our online social work degree can help provide the skills and experience you need to become a caring, effective social worker. Through this program, you can gain critical knowledge of human psychology — which is valuable in every people-focused industry.
An online BSW degree can benefit you in several career paths. You can sharpen the skills you need for a career as a social worker — preparing for future graduate studies or for other behavioral science roles. With Liberty’s online bachelor’s degree in social work, you can earn a degree through a flexible learning environment that works for you.
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, Liberty understands what you’re looking for in an online social work degree program. You want a degree that can mold you into a professional capable of serving individuals with excellence, but you don’t want to sacrifice your personal obligations to pursue your degree.
We seek to exceed your academic expectations by offering a CSWE-accredited Bachelor of Science in Social Work that can help you gain valuable skills and command the respect of hiring managers. Our online BSW is taught by a group of expert professors with years of real-world experience and a vested interest in your success. Our online social work program’s curriculum has been carefully developed using extensive research, the knowledge of social work professionals, and rigorous accreditation requirements.
Better yet, at Liberty, you won’t have to put your life on hold to earn your bachelor’s in social work degree online. The flexible nature of our online BSW program allows you to complete your assignments when it’s most convenient for you, and our professors are readily available to offer guidance on assignments. Our professors want you to succeed. As a student in our online social work program, you’ll have the expertise and experience of your professors at your full disposal.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Social Work Online Degree?
While many online social work colleges offer their own versions of BSW degrees, we believe Liberty stands out. Here’s why:
- Unlike some online social work programs, Liberty’s online BSW degree is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Earning your CSWE-accredited online social work degree from Liberty University can help you confidently pursue careers in social work upon graduation.
- Improve your employment options by demonstrating your knowledge of strategic human services and relevant experience in the field. This online social worker degree program can help equip you with practical knowledge directly applicable to real-world settings.
- Use our online BSW program to lay the groundwork for graduate studies that can prepare you for a career in advanced research or clinical counseling.
- This degree’s field placements can be completed at a location near you, so you won’t have to wait until you graduate to start making a difference in your community.
- Complete a marketable bachelor of social work online while gaining valuable, real-world experience during your field placements. Our online social work degree program includes several field placement requirements — so you can pursue careers with real-world experience already under your belt.
- Network with your peers and professors during your social work degree program’s 5-day, virtual intensive. Being an online student doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on career connections. Our virtual intensives offer distance learners an excellent opportunity to enjoy community and build camaraderie with other students.
- Complete our online social work bachelor’s degree program coursework on your time. With our flexible online learning environment, you can access your online materials at any time.
Job Outlook for Social Workers
Social work is a high-demand career field. Every day, families and children in need of help get the assistance they need from social workers, but an increasing number of people seek care and find none. With Liberty’s BSW program, you can become part of the solution for communities in crisis.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job outlook for social workers is projected to increase by 12% between 2020 and 2030. Better yet, with a median salary of $51,760 per year, you can pursue a lucrative field by earning a human services bachelor’s degree online.*
Our bachelor’s in social work seeks to prepare students to seize job opportunities and help struggling populations across the country. The online delivery of our bachelor’s in social work also allows you to complete your field experience requirements at a location near you, so you can begin serving your community in a human-services capacity before you finish your degree.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational outlook handbook: Social workers (viewed online September 13, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Can I complete a social work degree online?
Yes! Liberty University’s online bachelor’s degree in social work can help equip you with the skills, knowledge, and abilities needed to confidently pursue a career as a social worker.
We understand that you can’t put your life on hold to pursue your goal of becoming a social worker. You have commitments, and at Liberty, we don’t want to take away from your personal responsibilities while you pursue your Bachelor of Science in Social Work.
That’s why most of the courses in our online social work degree are offered 100% online in 8-week sections. We also offer virtual intensives that don’t require you to travel to our campus. Simply login at the scheduled times that week from the comfort of your own home. At Liberty, we strive to make earning your social work degree online as simple as possible.
Is a BSW considered a social worker?
An online BSW can help you become a social worker, yes. Because requirements for becoming a social worker may vary, be sure to research your state’s licensure requirements for more information.
Earning an online bachelor’s degree in social work can help you pursue entry-level positions in a variety of social work settings — such as adoption agencies, medical facilities, or human services entities. If you’re interested in becoming a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), you may need to pursue a Master of Science in Social Work.
However, an online BSW can be your ticket to becoming a social worker. By partnering with Liberty, you can become a confident, prepared professional who is capable of excelling as a social worker.
What can you do with a Bachelor of Social Work degree online?
Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Social Work allows you to use your understanding of human behavior to help people heal, grow, and thrive. As a professional in the health and human services field, you can use your skills and knowledge to:
- Build effective case management systems
- Develop support networks
- Identify people and communities in need
- Research and implement systems to serve client needs
- Respond to critical care needs such as abuse or mental health emergencies
While earning your BSW degree online, you can gain abundant knowledge and expertise that are integral to success in the field of social work. But taking social work classes online doesn’t mean that you won’t get hands-on experience. Liberty’s online social work degree blends real-world training and a virtual intensive to help you prepare for the field with confidence.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work?
Through Liberty’s online social work classes, you’ll receive specialized training in assessments, intervention strategies, and counseling techniques. These skills can help prepare you to practice as a human services professional in diverse communities. As a social worker, you can be empowered to help families and individuals make positive life changes, no matter their background. Partner with Liberty to gain the knowledge you need for a rewarding career or future graduate study.
Featured Social Work Courses
- SOWK 270 – Ethics in Professional Helping
- SOWK 300 – Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- SOWK 350 – Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families
- SOWK 355 – Social Work Practice with Groups
Highlights of Our Online Social Work Bachelor’s Degree
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Learn field-tested techniques for addressing human services issues in your community.
- Complete field placements in your area that allow you to learn under practicing agents and gain real-world experience.
Online Social Work Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- View the online B.S. in Social Work Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- Our online BSW degree requires one 3-credit-hour 100% virtual intensive and 2 full-semester field placements.
- Upon declaring this major, students will pursue the Gate process to gain approval into the program. Please see the Social Work Gates page for more information.
- Please review our CSWE program evaluation for more information.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Career Options With an Online Social Work Degree
Here are some careers you can prepare for by earning an online human services degree:
- Addictions and mental health specialist
- Adoptions clinician
- Child welfare worker
- Human services leader
- Medical social worker
- School social worker
Our online social work degree provides you with specialized training and experience that can help equip you to become a social worker. The knowledge and practical skill sets you’ll gain can also meet a critical demand for human services expertise in many industries.
Your skills and hands-on experience with a degree in human services can lead to various career opportunities. Research, criminal justice, education, government, and other important management roles all require advanced training. Our online BSW degree can help prepare you to fill the increasing needs in the private, public, and nonprofit markets. With people-focused understanding, you can be a valuable human services asset.
Admission Requirements for Our Online B.S. in Social Work Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.