Provide Student Care and Counseling by Earning a Master’s in School Counseling Online
Liberty University’s CACREP accredited M.Ed. master’s in school counseling prepares you to be a school counselor in Christian, public, and private schools. You will master counseling and psychology skills, focusing on ethics and techniques, ethnicity, family counseling, and career guidance. Courses provide specialized preparation for individuals seeking credentials for a K-12 school position. In becoming a school counselor, you will accrue both practical and theoretical knowledge to apply in real-life experiences. Our counselor degree will train you to become a school counselor and serve as a valuable asset through investing in students’ lives and providing an emotionally safe environment for holistic student needs.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in School Counseling Program?
Our Master of Education in School Counseling program supports a collaborative learning environment that prepares a culturally diverse, global student body to be competent, responsible, ethical, and professional school counselors. You will be prepared to teach in public, private, and Christian elementary, middle, and high schools. Our master’s in school counseling online is taught from a biblical perspective and prepares graduates to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate comprehensive school counseling programs that are culturally sensitive and promote the career, personal, social, and academic development of children and adolescents.
Our graduates are prepared to meet the holistic needs of diverse bodies of students, attending to their cognitive, affective, spiritual, and physical development with a balanced approach that promotes universal and optimal academic achievement and student well-being.
Liberty University’s mission is to produce ethically and spiritually aware mental health counselors who possess the knowledge, values, skills, and personal disposition to promote the mental health of clients across diverse populations. Through completing both the internship and practicum portions of the degree, students will be able to practically apply theories and methodologies previously learned in classes.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Education in School Counseling Degree?
Throughout our online master’s in school counseling degree, you will attain scholastic competency, apply counseling skills with diverse populations and demonstrate the ability to appropriately integrate faith and spirituality into counseling in an ethically competent manner. Our online school counseling programs will provide the training to identify and create intervention strategies, collaboration, and referrals in an educational setting. Training in professional and ethical conduct as a school counselor will be explored, as well as understanding culturally sensitive counseling practices, social justice, and advocacy approaches in a pluralistic society. In achieving your online master’s in school counseling, you will recognize family, personal, and environmental factors that affect career development processes and activities for all grade levels.
You will learn to demonstrate emotional and mental stability in interaction with others, including the ability to maintain healthy boundaries, communicate appropriately, successfully manage personal anxiety or uncomfortable feelings, work collaboratively with others, and resolve interpersonal conflict. Adherence to the Professional Identity and Standards outlined by the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics and Liberty Graduate Student Code of Honor is expected throughout your pursuit of obtaining a master’s in school counseling online.
- EDCE 505 – Counseling Theories and Techniques
- EDCE 522 – Career Development and Counseling
- EDCE 611 – Child and Adolescent Counseling in the Schools
- EDCE 661 – School Counseling Program Development and Evaluation
Masters in School Counseling Program Information
- This program is online with required intensives.
- A 2-semester internship is required, as well as a practicum.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View our School Counseling Advising Guide.
- The Education Department will verify that students have completed one of Liberty’s Virginia state-approved licensure programs.
- No prior teaching license is required for this program.
- Students should verify any additional licensure requirements with their home state.
- This program is accredited by both NCATE (through CAEP) and CACREP.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC). Accreditation by SACSCOC means your degree will be recognized around the nation.
- Liberty’s Dr. Schellenberg partnered with Dr. Tyler Kimbel, Vice President for Research and Advocacy for CACREP, to develop the first and only set of spiritual and religious competencies for school counseling to be used in both public and private K-12 schools. The competencies were published in the profession’s hallmark Tier 1 journal with a request to write an article for the ASCA School Counselor magazine, as well as present on these competencies at national conferences.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates per year, and no set login times
Master of Education School Counseling Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Education in School Counseling degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete this online Masters in School Counseling degree program in as little as two years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching – Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) provides a path for students with an education background to advance their teaching skills, as well as provides students wanting to move into a rewarding new career in teaching with the opportunity to seek the credentials for licensure. The online M.A.T. degree pairs advanced learning theory with an evidence-based practical methodology to equip teachers to help children and young adults in their educational journey.
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Our Masters of Arts in Human Services Counseling furthers your education in the study of human behavior and the application of helping skills. You will master a review of literature in the field considered essential to the master’s level professional preparation of human services counseling workers who seek to offer services in areas such as leadership, families, addictions, and recovery.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy – The Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy provides you with a strong understanding of counseling principles and strategies to prepare you to seek licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. Courses will provide you with a thorough background in individual and group counseling theories and techniques, as well as clinical practice. Emphasis is placed on the understanding of ethical, professional, and legal issues in counseling.
Potential Future Careers for Those Who Earn the Master of Education in School Counseling
Industry Outlook: The U.S. Department of Labor expects school and career counselors to see an 8% growth in employment over the next seven years. Growing enrollment, at all levels of education, creates a need for counselors to respond to the development and academic needs of students.*
Upon completion of your online Master of Education – School Counseling degree from Liberty University, you will have the opportunity to pursue:
- Licensed school counseling in public and private K-12 schools
- Continued education/requirements to become a licensed professional counselor
*Data obtained from the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) under the sponsorship of the U.S. Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Information obtained on September 19, 2017.
Admission Requirements for the M.Ed. in School Counselor Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.