When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.

School Counseling Advising Guide

Master of Education (M.Ed.)


View information for School Counseling Candidates on a DCP Prior to 2013-2014 if you are using a Degree Completion Plan (DCP) prior to the 2013-2014 academic year.


Appeals will not be accepted from M.Ed. in School Counseling students who were on a DCP prior to 2013-2014, broke enrollment, and want to go back on their former DCP. This cannot be allowed because DCPs prior to 2013-2014 do not meet CACREP program requirements, and allowing it would jeopardize the program’s CACREP accreditation.


If you are completing the School Counseling Degree using the 2013-2014 DCP or later, then you should refer to the following documents and forms below.


  • No teaching license required for internship
  • Two years of teaching or counseling experience required for Virginia licensure
    • Might be acquired during the M.Ed. program
    • Might be acquired while employed as a school counselor with a provisional license
  • Required Intensives:
    • Counseling Theories & Techniques (EDCE 505)
    • Structured Groups (EDCE 512)
  • Field experiences, practicum, and internship
  • Licensure Tests by Gate 3
    • Praxis Professional School Counselor (0421 or 5421) is required at Gate 3. You may also submit scores for your state’s equivalent test in place of the Praxis 0421 or 5421. If your state does not have an equivalent then you must complete the Praxis II 0421 or 5421. You may review the student companion for the Praxis exam and register for the exam. Currently, there is no minimum score for Liberty University’s M.Ed. in School Counseling program, but you should be mindful of minimum scores for other states in which you may be seeking licensure.

Practicum & Internship Information

School Counseling students are required to complete a LiveText application before they are permitted to register for the EDCE 698: School Counseling Practicum. The prerequisites for School Counseling (EDCE 698) are Professional, Ethical & Legal Issues in Counseling (EDCE 501), Counseling Theories & Techniques (EDCE 505), background check clearance, professional liability insurance through the American Counseling Association (ACA), and an approved practicum application. View information on the practicum, including help finding a site and locating the application in LiveText.

Professional, Ethical & Legal Issues in Counseling (EDCE 501) is an 8-week course and cannot be taken in the same semester as School Counseling Practicum (EDCE 698).


Counseling Theories & Techniques (EDCE 505) is an intensive and cannot be taken in the same semester as School Counseling Practicum (EDCE 698).


Candidates must be approved through Gate 3 in order to be approved for an internship. All Gate 3 deadlines and requirements must be met for each semester of internship. All EDCE courses and Human Development Across the Lifespan (EDUC 600) must be completed prior to internship. View information on the required internships.

Taking Non-Required Courses for Additional Voluntary Credentials

Students in the school counseling program are permitted to take the classes listed below outside of those listed on their DCP during internship semesters as long as all other courses except internship and the two EDUC courses deemed appropriate on the DCP (saved for internship due to financial aid reasons) have been successfully completed.


Approved courses are:

  • Marriage and Family Counseling I (COUN 601)
  • Substance Abuse: Diagnosis, Treatment & Prevention (COUN 691)
  • Psychopathology & Counseling (COUN 646)
  • Clinical Diagnosis & Treatment Planning (COUN 667).


Pre-requisites to those COUN courses have been met by the M.Ed. in School Counseling curriculum and do not need pre-requisite to override submissions/approvals. Psychopathology & Counseling (COUN 646) must be completed before the other approved COUN courses are attempted. Students may take only one of these courses per sub-term along with an internship. If there is a summer between internships, the student may take these courses at that time.

  • COUN 646 must be taken before the other approved COUN courses are attempted. This is non-negotiable except in summer only, where the B and D term overlap occurs, students can take 646 in B term with another COUN course in D term.


All students receiving financial aid must consult with the financial aid office to understand how taking courses not listed on the school counseling DCP will impact financial aid.


Taking these voluntary additional courses does not in any way result in additional degrees or credentials or a dual degree in clinical mental health counseling or professional counseling. Taking these courses in no way indicates that a student’s State Board of Counseling will accept them toward licensure as a professional counselor. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm this with the board if these courses are being taken for this purpose. None of the above affects the school counseling program–follow your DCP for school counseling certification/licensure.

Program Materials

Program Information & Orientation