Encourage Student Success in Mathematics by Earning an Online Math Specialist Endorsement Master’s Degree
The education system needs leaders in mathematics to present new methods and techniques of teaching that promote positive student experiences. Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Education – Math Specialist Endorsement program is designed to provide you with the training and knowledge needed to plan and implement an effective mathematics curriculum.
Individuals who pursue this math specialist endorsement program will have the ability to build upon previous knowledge of education to increase training and skills specifically relating to teaching mathematics. Liberty seeks to equip students pursuing the online master’s in education – math specialist degree with a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge in light of biblically-based principles.
Please note: This program includes the required steps to pursue add-on or advanced licensure, both of which require a teaching license in middle or secondary education. If you do not currently have a teaching license, you may be more interested in our Master of Arts in Teaching.
What is the role of a mathematics teacher?
Math teachers focus on teaching students mathematical concepts and skills that are appropriate for their age and developmental level. A math specialist may also assist teachers in developing new curriculums and teaching strategies for gifted or special needs students.
Our education master’s in mathematics online can prepare you for mathematics teaching or specialist roles.
How much do you make with a master’s in education?
As you are considering this program, you may be wondering if it is worth it to get a master’s degree in education. You may already be making a teacher’s salary, and you’re curious if earning this additional credential can help you increase your pay or seek out a promotion.
For instance, a high school teacher’s average salary is approximately $61,660.* However, this number can increase substantially if you have earned a master’s degree and move on to an administration role. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median yearly salary for elementary, middle, and high school principals is $96,400!**
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at High School Teachers (viewed online August 4, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Elementary, Middle, and High School Principals (viewed online August 4, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Math Specialist Certification Online?
Liberty University’s mission is Training Champions for Christ, so we strive for excellence in all that we do. Here are some of the reasons we believe Liberty stands out:
- Our math endorsement online program is more affordable at just $415 per credit hour for full-time students.
- Fulfill add-on or advanced licensure requirements to receive a math specialist endorsement in Virginia with reciprocity in most states.
- Complete an internship that will provide you with practical experience so you can better learn how to become a math specialist.
- Your courses can be completed 100% online, giving you the opportunity to continue actively teaching as you earn your master’s in math education.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s Degree in Math Education?
Through our math intervention specialist certification online, you will learn all the key concepts you need to effectively teach math to your students. Your studies will include effective classroom management, how students learn, current issues in math, and implementation of technology in the classroom. You will gain theoretical knowledge that you can apply during your internship. You can prepare to meet the needs of all types of learners in content delivery, documentation procedures, intervention, and educational identification.
Your online graduate math courses will provide training in developing math programs and supporting teachers who work with gifted and special needs students. The online master’s degree in mathematics and education also allows you to partake in student research. You will have the opportunity to engage best practices with educational technology for classroom learning enhancement.
- EDUC 521 – Foundations of Exceptionality
- EDUC 530 – Teaching Mathematics
- EDUC 650 – School-based Mathematics Programs
- EDUC 652 – Trends and Inquiry for the Math Specialist
Information for the Secondary and Elementary Math Specialist Degree Online
- The Master of Education with Math Specialist Endorsement falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- A 3-credit-hour internship is a required part of the Master of Education – Math Specialist Endorsement.
- The Education Department will verify that students have completed one of Liberty’s Virginia state-approved licensure programs. Students should verify any additional licensure requirements with their home state. Students pursuing this concentration for licensure must already hold a math-teaching license in middle or secondary education. Visit our state approval disclosures page for more information.
Military Benefits for Our Education Specialist in Math Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Program Highlights for Our Master’s in Math Education Online
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your math specialist degree online from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time (at least 9 credits per semester), Liberty University’s M.Ed. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Liberty University’s School of Education is accredited by NCATE through CAEP.
- You can complete our education and online math master’s degree in less than 2 years.
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Math and Education?
After completing your master’s in education, you can start pursuing your math specialist career. You could pursue positions including:
- Elementary/secondary educator
- Program specialist
- Secondary math specialist
Admission Requirements for the Math Education Program (M.Ed.)
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.