Promote Student Success in Mathematics by Earning an Online Math Specialist Endorsement Master’s Degree
The education system needs leaders in mathematics to present new methods and techniques for teaching that promote positive student experiences. Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Education – Math Specialist Endorsement program is designed to provide you with the training and knowledge needed to plan and implement an effective mathematics curriculum.
Individuals who pursue this math specialist endorsement program can build upon their previous knowledge of education to receive training and skills specifically related to teaching mathematics. Liberty seeks to equip students pursuing the online master’s in education – math specialist degree with a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge in light of biblically-based principles.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Master of Education – Math Specialist Endorsement program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Please note: This program includes the required steps to pursue advanced licensure in Virginia, which requires an initial teaching license in middle or secondary mathematics. If you do not currently have a teaching license, our Master of Arts in Teaching may be a better fit for you. Additionally, students must have 3 years of full-time contractual teaching experience in which the teaching of mathematics was an important responsibility. This experience can be accrued while pursuing the M.Ed. degree, but at least 1 year of experience must be completed prior to the internship.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
What is the role of a mathematics teacher? What does a math specialist do?
Math teachers focus on teaching students mathematical concepts and skills that are appropriate for their age and developmental level. A math specialist may assist teachers in developing new curriculums and teaching strategies so that students can fully grasp critical concepts.
Our education master’s in mathematics online can help prepare you for mathematics teaching or specialist roles.
How much can you make with a master’s in education?
As you are considering this program, you may be wondering if it is worth it to get a master’s degree in education. You may already be making a teacher’s salary, and you’re curious if earning this additional credential can help you increase your pay or seek out a promotion.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals who hold a master’s degree earn approximately 18% more per year than those who only have a bachelor’s degree.** Completing a master’s program can help you pursue exciting, lucrative opportunities.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment (viewed online December 2, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Math Specialist Endorsement Degree Online?
Liberty University’s mission is to Train Champions for Christ, so we strive for excellence in all that we do. Here are some of the reasons we believe Liberty stands out:
- Fulfill advanced licensure requirements to become a math specialist in Virginia and pursue reciprocity in other states.
- Complete a practicum and an internship that will provide you with practical experience so you can better learn how to become a math specialist.
- Your courses can be completed 100% online, giving you the opportunity to continue actively teaching as you earn your master’s in math education.
- Our math endorsement online program is more affordable at just $415 per credit hour for full-time students.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s Degree in Math Education?
Through our math specialist degree online, you can learn all the key concepts you need to effectively teach math to your students as well as provide essential support to teachers. Your studies will include effective classroom management, educational leadership, current issues in math, and implementation of technology in the classroom. You can gain theoretical knowledge that you can apply during your practicum and internship. You can become equipped to meet the needs of all types of learners in content delivery, documentation procedures, intervention, and educational identification.
Your online graduate math courses will provide training in developing math programs and supporting educators who teach math. The online master’s degree in mathematics and education also allows you to partake in student research. You will have the opportunity to engage best practices with educational technology for classroom learning enhancement.
- EDMS 652 – Trends and Inquiry for the Math Specialist
- EDUC 622 – Educational Assessment and Intervention
- EDUC 630 – Technology Practices for Instructional Improvement
- EDUC 668 – Teaching Mathematics in the Middle School
Information for the Math Specialist Degree Online
- The Master of Education with Math Specialist Endorsement falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- A practicum and a 3-credit-hour internship are required for the Master of Education – Math Specialist Endorsement degree.
- The School of Education will verify that students have completed one of Liberty’s Virginia state-approved licensure programs. Students should verify any reciprocity or additional licensure requirements with their home state. Students pursuing this concentration for licensure must already hold a teaching license in middle or secondary mathematics. Visit our state approval disclosures page for more information.
Military Benefits for Our Math Specialist Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Program Highlights for Our Master’s in Math Education Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your math specialist degree online from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.Ed. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can complete our education and online math master’s degree in just 2 years.
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Math and Education?
After completing your master’s in education, you can start pursuing your math specialist career. You could pursue a variety of positions, including:
- Elementary/secondary educator
- Program specialist
- Secondary math specialist
Admission Requirements for the Math Education Program (M.Ed.)
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.