Influence the Next Generation of Students with an M.Ed. in Higher Education
If you love working with college students and helping them prepare for success after graduation, then Liberty’s Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Higher Education may be right for you. This degree will build on your teaching and administrative skills to help you qualify for top roles in the field of postsecondary education.
If you want to work in the administrative side of education, our program can help you get there. Earning an M.Ed. degree is a great way to go beyond the classroom and pursue a broader range of jobs within the education system. Whether you want to work for a college, government agency, or nonprofit, our higher education program will equip you to shape education policy and lead your students to success.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Higher Education Master’s Program?
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. Our M.Ed. program will provide you with both practical and theoretical knowledge, preparing you to meet the needs of students and faculty.
Quality Academics | Liberty’s M.Ed. degree meets high standards of excellence and academic quality. In this program, you’ll learn from professors who have years of experience in the education sector. Drawing on what they have learned in their own careers, they can help you gain marketable skills and respected credentials. A master’s degree from Liberty is a great way to jumpstart your career and stand out to employers.
Flexible Courses | Choosing Liberty means choosing a degree that fits your schedule. Our master’s in higher education is offered 100% online, so you won’t need to relocate or put your life on hold to earn your degree. You can complete your courses when and where it’s most convenient for you — even from the comfort of your own home! You can also stay invested in your family, job, and community while preparing to take your career to the next level.
Ethical Training | Liberty University seeks to produce school leaders who model high academic, moral, and spiritual standards before their peers. In this program, you’ll gain more than advanced skills — you’ll also train to stand out as a person of integrity in the workplace.
Partner with us and prepare to make a difference in the lives of today’s college students.
Master’s in Higher Education Specializations
In this program, you’ll get to choose the degree track that offers the specialized expertise you need. Each area of study can help you gain knowledge and skills that match your personal interests and career goals.
No matter which area of study you choose, you’ll take core courses that will give you a thorough understanding of the American education system.
Our 100% online Master of Education in Higher Education – Educational Leadership can prepare you to lead effectively in postsecondary education settings. Combining ethical principles with accredited academics, this degree will help you master skills in community relations, instructional leadership, educational technology, school policymaking, and other areas of leadership.
- EDUC 638 – Leadership in Educational Technology
- EDUC 642 – Leadership and Supervision in Education
- EDUC 643 – Contemporary Issues in Educational Policy
- EDUC 665 – Student Support Services and Retention
Potential Career Options
- College provost
- Dean of students or faculty
- Instructional coordinator
- University registrar
Instructional Design and Technology
Our 100% online Master of Education in Higher Education – Instructional Design and Technology will help you grasp the essentials of online learning, digital content design, and educational technology. You’ll learn how to implement the latest technology into institutions of higher learning so that you can help your students thrive.
- EDUC 630 – Technology Practices for Instructional Improvement
- EDUC 631 – Foundations of Educational Technology and Online Learning
- EDUC 633 – Principles of Design and Management in Distance Education
- EDUC 664 – Economics and Finance of Higher Education
Potential Career Options
- Curriculum specialist
- Director of learning and performance
- Distance education specialist
- Instructional designer and developer
Our 100% online Master of Education in Higher Education – Student Affairs can help you learn how to foster college students’ personal, professional, and academic development. You’ll analyze current research and theory in the field of student affairs as well as best practices for providing student support services.
- EDUC 658 – Introduction to Student Affairs*
- EDUC 662 – Student Development Theory and Practice*
- EDUC 663 – Social and Political Aspects in Higher Education
- EDUC 665 – Student Support Services and Retention
*Course guide coming soon
Potential Career Options
- College/university administrator
- Educational policy analyst
- Program coordinator
- Student affairs administrator
Download and review the Degree Completion Plan (coming soon).
View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
What Will You Learn in Our Online Higher Education Graduate Program?
Higher education professionals handle everything from curriculum design and instructional content to alumni relations and student enrollment. With our online M.Ed. in Higher Education, you’ll receive the training needed to succeed in many leadership roles.
Gain an in-depth understanding of postsecondary education in the United States.
In this program, you’ll examine the major trends and problems facing colleges and universities in the 21st century. Many issues related to higher education will be explored, including culture, history, politics, economics, and public policy. By understanding the current state of our education system, you can make wise decisions as an academic leader or administrator.
Learn how to provide effective support and guidance to college students.
To help students succeed — both in school and in a future career — you need to understand their personal, academic, and financial needs. Our M.Ed. program covers the essentials of academic advising, career guidance, student retention, and academic support. You’ll explore effective methods for promoting student success and making a difference in the lives of college students.
Complete a capstone course that fosters professional development.
At the end of this program, you’ll complete case studies and develop a capstone project, allowing you to further explore current issues in education. You’ll also gain the tools needed to establish a professional network, assemble a teaching portfolio, and contribute to discussions about higher education.
Careers: What Can You Do with a Master’s in Higher Education?
By earning an M.Ed. in Higher Education, you can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the world of education. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Dean of admissions
- Director of academic advising
- Director of career services
- Educational consultant
- Leadership program administrator
- Residential life coordinator
Highlights of Liberty’s Online Master’s Degree in Higher Education
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online MEd in Higher Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s online M.Ed. is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- You can complete this master’s in higher education administration in as little as 1 year.
- All of our online courses are only 8 weeks long with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
Online Master’s in Higher Education Degree Information
Military Benefits for Our Master’s in Higher Education Online Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Higher Education Master’s Program Online
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.