Foster Positive Learning Environments with a Master of Education in Instructional Design and Technology
Combining your creativity, interest in technology, and love of education into a degree program is easier than you think! Liberty’s online Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Higher Education – Instructional Design and Technology is designed to help meet the need for qualified leaders in the world of education. This program can help equip you to design and develop high-quality learning experiences and products.
The use of technology is crucial to the success of teachers and students alike. By completing our online instructional design degree, you can pursue a rewarding career in the education field and learn how to create effective instructional materials that promote student development. Maybe you’re passionate about working in education, but you don’t necessarily want to be a professor or teacher. If so, this degree may be right for you.
Virtual classrooms and digital content are constantly developing, and instructional design professionals are needed to create new and improved learning products that meet students’ needs. Partner with us and learn how to use the latest technology innovations to transform and invigorate the modern education system.
Can I teach college with a master’s in education?
An M.Ed. degree is designed to prepare you for educational leadership roles outside the classroom. However, if you do want to work directly in academics, earning an M.Ed. can also help equip you to teach at the college level. By completing this program, you can prepare to navigate the changing climate of postsecondary education.
What does “instructional design” mean?
An instructional designer’s job is to develop, implement, and evaluate instructional strategies and materials. In other words, the goal of these professionals is to facilitate student learning by implementing the best methodologies and technologies into the classroom.
Why is instructional design important in education?
Instructional design is a vital part of helping students learn, grow, and succeed. As an instructional designer, you can use your creativity to solve real-world challenges in the education sector. You might create interactive learning environments, develop engaging course materials, or discover methods for helping students retain important knowledge and skills, among other responsibilities.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Instructional Design and Technology?
We have led the way as pioneers in distance education since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has remained the same. We are proud to offer our higher education design program 100% online, so you don’t have to relocate or take time away from your career and family to pursue your degree.
Additionally, our online classes have no set login times, which means you can complete your coursework wherever and whenever it’s most convenient for you! At Liberty, you’ll receive affordable tuition rates, quality academics, and a flexible online format — all with the goal of helping you become a Champion for Christ in your personal and professional life.
We won’t just help you get a degree. We’ll help equip you with the skills and credentials you need to take the next step in your career. By learning from professors who have years of experience in the field of education, you can develop your expertise and prepare to live out ethical principles in the workplace.
What Will You Learn in Our Instructional Design and Technology Master’s Online Program?
In this program, you will take core classes that explore various aspects of postsecondary education. Our introduction to higher education course dives into the major trends and issues facing colleges and universities today. Students will learn about the role of higher education institutions in society, as well as how culture, politics, and economics impact today’s education system.
Prepare to meet the needs of diverse student populations. Throughout this degree, you will learn how to provide student support services like academic advising and career guidance so you can help promote student retention and satisfaction.
The instructional design and technology specialization can help provide the tools you need to pursue a career as a course developer. You’ll explore how to use educational technology to improve instruction, supplement learning experiences, and evaluate student progress. Technology plays a vital role in today’s education landscape, especially with the current popularity of distance learning — so it’s critical that you understand cutting-edge methods for using technology to meet student and teacher needs.
The world of education is always growing and changing, and this program can help equip you with the skills needed to overcome challenges and adapt to new environments.
- EDUC 630 – Technology Practices for Instructional Improvement
- EDUC 631 – Foundations of Educational Technology and Online Learning
- EDUC 633 – Principles of Design and Management in Educational Technology and Online Learning
- EDUC 664 – Economics and Finance of Higher Education
Highlights of Our Instructional Design in Education Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online master’s in instructional design and technology from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.Ed. program is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- You can complete this online master’s degree in instructional design and technology in as little as 1 year.
- As an online student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
Instructional Design Master’s Degree Information
- This program falls under Liberty’s School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our instructional design degree.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Instructional Design in Higher Education Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
What Can I Do with a Master’s in Instructional Design and Technology?
After completing our instructional design master’s online, you can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the education field. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Chief learning officer
- Course design manager
- Curriculum specialist
- Director of center for teaching and learning
- Director of instructional technology
- Education program manager
- Learning and development project manager
Admission Requirements for Our M.Ed. in Instructional Design Degree Online
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.