Transform the Lives of Special Needs Children with Our Online Non-Licensure Special Education Degree
You’re passionate about helping all students learn. With a 100% online Bachelor of Science in Special Education degree, you can prepare to help your future students thrive by addressing their unique learning styles. Our bachelor’s degree in special education curriculum focuses on education theory, learning disabilities, and adaptation techniques that you can easily apply to your work in the classroom. By pursuing our online bachelor’s in special education degree, you can acquire the skills needed to successfully manage your classroom while meeting students’ specific needs.
Earning a Bachelor of Science in Special Education Interdisciplinary Studies degree will equip you to achieve your goals and succeed in Christian school, private school, and homeschool settings, as well as public child care facilities and churches, and in the public school as a paraprofessional.
What is special education?
In the classroom, students have many different learning needs. When students are struggling due to disabilities and challenging circumstances, teachers need special education training to help these students learn and grow. The special education discipline focuses on developing and applying tools and methods to help students overcome challenges and improve their education outcomes.
With special tools, assessments, and management skills, special education teachers can help students with physical disabilities, autism spectrum disorders, or other challenges. With these tools, special education teachers work to help these students build toward a more successful future.
Liberty University’s School of Education offers programs that are accredited through the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Students who complete their non-licensure, bachelor of science degree can move into a Master of Arts in Teaching, graduate licensure program. Our online, non-licensure special education bachelor of science degree complements our Master of Arts in Teaching – Special Education. The MAT program is accredited by NCATE through CAEP and would be the step needed to obtain your teaching licensure.
Please note: Liberty’s B.S. in Special Education Interdisciplinary Studies is a non-licensure track. This program is intended to prepare students for non-licensed teaching roles, or to continue into a licensure program at a later time. If you would like to pursue licensure through your bachelor’s degree, see the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education to review teaching licensure requirements.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Special Education Bachelor’s Degree?
At Liberty University, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. In our special education bachelor’s degree program, you will be immersed in enriching curriculums focused on practical applications. Our professors have real-world special education experience and are passionate about helping you integrate your faith with your profession. Designed to give you maximum flexibility and convenience, our online bachelor’s of special education degree program can give you the foundation you need to teach with excellence and integrity.
While researching special education online degrees, you may have questions about how these programs can help you reach your career goals. Here are some common questions about earning your special education degree online.
How do you get a degree in special education?
If you need training to help teach students with special needs, then you could benefit from a degree in special education. Whether you are already in the classroom teaching students, or you want to enter the teaching field, pursuing an online program can be the most convenient and flexible option. Earning Liberty’s special ed degree online gives you the chance to get the training you need to be effective in a special education classroom while still in your current job.
Liberty University’s special education degrees have two tracks: the B.S. in Special Education emphasizes flexibility and does not require any internship requirements. However, if you want to pursue a state license for special education teaching, then you may be interested in the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education track. This program still has online courses but includes state requirements for teaching experience in a student teaching and practicum.
Can you teach general education with a special education degree?
Liberty’s BS in special education online degree includes general education and teaching content designed to give you a strong foundation in classroom skills. However, depending on your intended teaching areas, you may need to include other required content in your degree plan.
Liberty recommends adding additional subject areas to your degree plan for elementary education, middle grades, or secondary education to give you professional flexibility to meet your school’s teaching needs. If you want to pursue state licensure for teaching, you can include an additional teaching endorsement area in your studies. See the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) page for more information about licensure requirements.
What can I do with a special education degree?
With a special education degree, you can use special ed teaching tools and techniques to help kids with special needs in many settings. With Liberty University’s special education program, you can learn the skills you need for roles teaching special needs children in sunday schools, private schools, homeschool, tutoring settings, and many more.
With state licensure, you will also be equipped to pursue roles in public schools and other teaching settings where licensure is required. While the B.S. in Special Education track does not include licensure requirements, you may also pursue licensure through alternative licensure pathways available through your state’s Department of Education. You may also pursue licensure-track requirements through Liberty’s B.Ed. in Education – Special Education.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Bachelor’s in Special Education Degree Program?
Throughout your online bachelor’s in special education degree program, you will study current, research-based education theories and best practices. This background can equip you to work effectively in many settings with children who have special needs. You will explore philosophical, legal, and sociological principles of special education as well as essential learning theories, equipping you to engage in research and scholarship. Based on this foundation of theory, you will learn specific classroom practices you can use to manage your classroom effectively and reach your students where they are.
- EDSP 360 – Learning and Behavior Problems
- EDSP 367 – Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders
- EDSP 370 – Intervention for Students with Intellectual Disabilities
- EDSP 377 – Autism: Educational and Theoretical Approaches
Our Online B.S. in Special Education Degree Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online BS. in special ed. degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Students enrolled in our online Bachelor of Science in Special Education degree will have access to a wide variety of resources through Liberty’s research portal and extensive online library.
Our Online Bachelor’s in Special Education Degree Information
- This online bachelor’s degree program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- A background check is required after EDUC 200 and 205.
- This is a non-licensure program.
- View the Undergraduate Advising Guide.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Career Options with a Special Education Interdisciplinary Studies Bachelor’s Degree
Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Special Education Interdisciplinary Studies degree provides the possibility of obtaining a variety of education-related jobs, such as:
- Homeschool teacher
- Private school teacher
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.