Help Students with Special Needs with Liberty’s Online Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education Degree
Are you looking for a career that combines your compassion and your professional drive to make a difference? Impact lives every day as a special education teacher. You can make in the lives of children and their parents while joining a fast-growing, in-demand field that improves the futures of students with special needs.
Liberty’s 100% online Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education degree can prepare you to help special needs students learn and grow — all while taking steps to earn your teacher’s license after graduation. You can get hands-on training in your own community while you study learning disabilities, benefit from essential education theory, and learn adaptation techniques you can apply to your work in the classroom.
With Liberty’s 100% online bachelor’s in special education degree, you can meet licensure requirements and gain real-life experience without traveling to a traditional university campus.
Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Additionally, our B.Ed. in Special Education program is one of the only 100% online programs preparing students for teaching licensure in the country — and the first one approved by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). By earning this degree, you will complete the content competencies, student teaching, and practicum requirements for special education licensure in the state of Virginia**.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
**Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Special Education B.Ed. Degree?
At Liberty University, our mission is Training Champions for Christ, and in keeping with that mission, we strive for excellence in everything we do. Our unique licensure-track special education program provides 100% online courses that are VDOE approved. With hands-on experience in a classroom near you, you can learn to apply teaching theory to real-world situations.
In our special education bachelor’s degree program, you will be immersed in a curriculum focused on the practical application of essential learning theories. Our professors have real-world special education experience and are passionate about helping you integrate biblical principles into your profession. Designed to give you maximum flexibility and convenience in a 100% online format, our online bachelor’s of special education degree can help give you the foundation you need to teach with excellence and integrity.
What Will You Learn in Our Online B.Ed. in Special Education Degree Program?
Throughout your online bachelor’s in special education program, you will study current, research-based education theories and best practices that can equip you to work effectively with children who have special needs. You will explore philosophical, legal, and sociological principles of special education as well as essential learning theories, which can equip you to engage in research and scholarship. Based on this foundation of theory, the classroom practices you learn can help you manage your own classroom effectively and reach your students where they are.
Through this licensure track’s practicum and internship, you will work in a school in your area to get hands-on classroom experience that can help you apply theory to practice. This experience can help you meet Virginia licensure requirements and pursue reciprocity in your state.
- EDSP 323 – Special Education Law & Characteristics
- EDSP 363 – Behavior Management
- EDSP 413 – Inclusive Planning for Diverse Learners
- EDSP 473 – Assessment and Transition Planning for Diverse Learners
Our Online B.Ed. in Special Education Degree Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- With our unique 100% online licensure track, you can complete your teaching licensure requirements and apply for licensure through the state of Virginia. You can then apply for reciprocity for equivalent licensure in other states.
- Students enrolled in our online Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education degree will have access to a wide variety of resources through Liberty’s research portal and extensive online library.
- Pursuing our online Bachelor of Education licensure-tracks may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
- Receive hands-on experience with 90 required practicum hours and 1 semester of student teaching.
Online Bachelor’s in Special Education Degree Information
- This online bachelor’s degree program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This degree has required practicum and student teaching hours.
- A background check is required to obtain licensure in this program.
- Review our licensure information and resources.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Career Options with a Special Education Bachelor’s Degree
Liberty’s Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education degree provides the possibility of obtaining a variety of education-related jobs, such as:
- Homeschool teacher
- Licensed special education teacher
- Private school teacher
- Special education curriculum coordinator
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.