Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders – EDSP 367
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course provides information on autism and gives the foundation, characteristics and effective strategies and approaches to interventions with an emphasis on school settings.
This course provides information on autism and gives the foundation, characteristics, and effective strategies and approaches to interventions with an emphasis on school settings. This course is the introductory course in the 18 credit hour certificate program in autism spectrum disorders for the undergraduate candidate. This certification program is recognized by the Virginia Autism Council.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the candidate will be able to:
- Compare appropriate formal and informal assessment tools used to evaluate the individual’s strengths, needs, interests, and learning style.
- Choose appropriate reinforcement contingent on behavior that emphasizes the use of naturally occurring reinforcement.
- Describe the need for early intervention and for the provision of intensive and explicit instruction.
- Design intervention strategies based on the abilities, learning style, and interests of the individual.
- Develop goals that address core deficit areas related to autism (i.e., social skills, communication, attention, imitation, play/leisure, sensory-motor, and self-regulation).
- Develop goals designed to target generalization and maintenance of skills across programs, across community and school settings, and in the home.
- Implement adaptive equipment and assistive technology options as needed (e.g., picture symbols, computer, pencil grip, electronic devices, etc.).
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the candidate will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the candidate is required to provide a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be a minimum of 250 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge and include at least one citation from the course text. In addition to the thread, the candidate is required to reply to 2 other classmate’s thread. Each reply must be a minimum of 150 words. (MLO: A, C, D, E, F, G)
Based upon a provided topic, the candidate will critically review 3 journal articles utilizing the Liberty University Online Library. Each Journal Article Review must be 300–350 words and in current APA format. (MLO: A, C, D, F)
The candidate will create a PowerPoint presentation for a teacher audience that addresses specific considerations, interventions and strategies for students with autism. The PowerPoint will be approximately 11 slides and will include at least 5 references. (MLO: A, B, C, D, E, F, G)
The candidate will develop activities, problem-solving strategies, and a record-keeping method to evaluate progress based upon a review of current literature on sensory processing disorders. The final product will be a 5–8-page paper in current APA style. The paper must include at least 3 references in addition to the course textbook and the Bible. (MLO: A, B, C, D, E, F, G)
Each quiz will cover chapter reading from the course text. Each quiz will be open-book/open-notes and contain multiple-choice and short-answer questions. All quizzes have a 1-hour time limit. (MLO: A, B, C, D, E, F, G)