Get the Degree You Need to Help ESL Students Achieve More
You may have noticed that the demographics of America’s classrooms are changing. There is an increasing number of young people growing up in households that don’t speak English. Since our school system revolves entirely around the English language, this means more children are entering our schools at a disadvantage. If you feel passionate about reaching these students and helping them develop their English language skills, we have the degree for you.
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Education in English as a Second Language (ESL) provides the education courses, hands-on classroom experience, and support system you’ll need to become a licensed teacher. Teaching ESL students is a rewarding career path that gives you the chance to learn about new cultures while sharing your own.
Whether your dream is to work with students in the United States or to travel and teach abroad, our 100% online B.Ed. program is the degree you’ll need.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor of Education Program?
Liberty’s unique licensure-track B.Ed. programs provide 100% online, Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) approved courses. With hands-on experience through student teaching and practicums in a classroom near you, you can learn to apply teaching theory to real-world problems.
With Liberty’s mission to Train Champions for Christ, you can be confident that you’ll study under dedicated professors who teach from a biblical worldview and are passionate about building up teachers who pursue excellence and Christ-like compassion. Our faculty have years of experience in their fields and will help you learn how to seamlessly integrate biblical principles into your profession.
Designed to provide maximum flexibility and convenience as a fully online program, our bachelor’s degree in English as a second language education for P-12 students can give you the foundation you need to thrive as a teacher — without ever having to travel to a university campus.
What Will You Learn in Our English as a Second Language Degree?
Liberty’s B.Ed. in English as a Second Language is broken down into 4 major components: education courses, practicum and gate courses, secondary courses, and student teaching. Your education courses explore the major aspects any teacher has to learn, such as evaluating student learning, creating curriculums, and determining behavioral and individual differences between students.
With a focus in English as a second language, your secondary courses will explore topics ranging from modern grammar and etymology to linguistics, world languages, and second language acquisition. The practicum and student teaching courses will then put your knowledge to the test. You’ll work in the classroom alongside a licensed teacher to see how the principles you’ve learned apply in the real world.
- ENGL 333 – Modern Grammar
- LING 301 – Introduction to Linguistics
- LING 453 – World Languages
- TESL 403 – Second Language Acquisition
Highlights of Our B.Ed. Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through CAEP, so you can pursue your degree with confidence.
- Graduate with licensure credentials to teach in the state of Virginia.
- Complete 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching prior to graduation.
- Observe and teach in a variety of school settings with your required practicum and student teaching hours.
Military Benefits for Our Online Undergraduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
B.Ed. Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Review our licensure information and resources.
Career Opportunities for English as a Second Language B.Ed. Graduates
- English as a second language school teacher
- Head teacher at an English language institute
- P-12 academic coordinator
- Teaching English as a second language (TESL) curriculum planner
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.