Study Elementary and Middle Grades English to Help Children Read and Write
Do you want to help young people see the fun and value of reading and writing? Do you want to become a licensed elementary school teacher? Whether you want to teach elementary or middle school students, Liberty’s online B.Ed. in Elementary Education — Middle Grades English can help you get the skills and credentials you need.
Liberty’s B.Ed. in Elementary Education is one of only a few like it in the U.S. — and is one of the first 100% online bachelor’s degrees that leads to teacher licensure in Virginia. Through this online elementary education program, you can complete state requirements for teacher licensure, including core competencies, 90 practicum hours, and at least 1 full semester of student teaching. In addition to helping prepare you for success as a kindergarten and elementary school teacher, this degree can also equip you for middle grades education as an English studies teacher.
Liberty University’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Once you complete Virginia licensure requirements, you can apply for reciprocity in another state. Partner with Liberty and you can be classroom-ready after graduation!
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Our B.Ed. in Elementary Education with a Middle Grades English Studies Endorsement?
Liberty University’s education courses are provided in an online format to allow you to complete your degree in less time. With teacher training approved by the Virginia Department of Education, this elementary and middle grades teacher degree also allows you to complete your student teaching and practicums at a location near you. You can finish your degree without leaving your community.
At Liberty University, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. We fulfill that mission by training the next generation of ethical and effective teachers. As an education student at Liberty, you won’t just learn content areas or teaching and learning techniques. Our education professors have years of experience in the elementary and middle grades teaching field and are excited to pass their knowledge on to you.
The middle grades English area of study can provide you with the specialized skills in teaching elementary grades English and developing reading and writing for middle schoolers. By pursuing the middle grade English endorsement, you can learn how to be a versatile and well-rounded teacher who is prepared to succeed in many learning environments.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s B.Ed. in Elementary Education — Middle Grades English?
The middle grades English cognate requires students to complete 5 specialized courses in essential English language and literature topics. In addition to these courses, students who choose to add the middle grades English area of study can complete a 45-hour practicum in a middle school setting. This hands-on experience can fulfill state requirements for teaching licensure while helping you apply what you’ve learned to a real classroom.
Not only that but the elementary education program is also designed to include over 90 practicum hours and 1 full semester of student teaching, giving you opportunities for guided practice and application. This education degree is designed to prepare you to work with elementary and middle school English students alike.
- EDUC 225 — Instructional Design for Elementary and Middle Classrooms
- EDUC 318 — Teaching Reading to Diverse Learners
- ENGL 221 — World Literature I
- ENGL 307 — Expository Writing*
*Course guide coming soon
Our Online B.Ed. in Elementary Education — Middle Grades English Specialization Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online B.Ed. degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our B.Ed. is one of the first 100% online bachelor’s programs in the nation — and the only program in Virginia — to offer a curriculum that prepares you for initial teacher licensure.
- Students enrolled in our online Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Elementary Education degree will have access to a wide variety of resources through Liberty’s research portal and extensive online library.
- With our unique 100% online licensure track, you can complete your teaching licensure requirements and apply for licensure through the state of Virginia. You can then apply for reciprocity for equivalent licensure in other states.
- Pursuing our online Bachelor of Education licensure tracks may make you eligible for the Federal TEACH Grant.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Online Bachelor’s in Elementary Education — Middle Grades English Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program is designed to prepare you for licensure. Review our licensure information and resources.
- This program has practicum and student teaching requirements as well as a background check.
Career Opportunities for B.Ed. in Elementary Education – Middle Grades English Graduates
Liberty’s Bachelor of Education in Elementary Education degree can help prepare you for a variety of education-related jobs, such as:
- Elementary school teacher
- K-12 curriculum coordinator
- K-12 education consultant
- Middle school English teacher
- Private school teacher
- Teacher’s aide
Upon successful completion of the 100% online B.Ed. in Elementary Education – Middle Grades English, you can be prepared with a well-respected degree in education, Virginia licensure, and over 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching. This degree can equip you with all the necessary resources, tools, and knowledge needed to succeed.
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.