Teach Others to Study the Scriptures by Earning a Master’s Degree in Religious Education!
If you are already a professional in your field but wish to take your Christian scholarship to another level, then Liberty University’s online master’s in religious education is for you. Our master’s in religious education degree is a 100% online program that’s designed to fit both your schedule and needs.
Liberty’s graduate religious education degree is a professional theological program in Christian education and discipleship ministries that will equip you with a broad, foundational master’s program in church ministry. Not only will you be provided with the understanding of church educational programs and discipleship ministries, but you will additionally acquire the tools to lead and work in a variety of church positions.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Religious Education Online Degree Program?
Liberty University’s mission is to Train Champions for Christ. We’ve created the Master of Religious Education degree to provide a professional theology and religion degree that blends Christian education and discipleship. The master’s in religious education online degree will equip men and women who have been called to serve as professional Christian workers.
Examples of Christian workers who will be well served by this degree are associate pastors, ministers or directors of Christian education, discipleship pastors, small group pastors, and other positions that require a broad general knowledge of church educational programs and discipleship ministries.
In this program, you will be challenged to reach beyond your foundational knowledge of ministry and improve your ministry work with new and helpful tools as you start to more effectively reach your community.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Master’s Degree in Religious Education?
In our master’s in religious education online degree, you will learn a variety of critical skills that encompass effective leadership in Christian education and ministry. One of the most important components you will take away from this master’s degree is how to create effective follow-up with members of your ministry, how to disciple workers and members, and how to properly incorporate the Bible while evangelizing.
Building on this foundation, you will study the systematic theology of the doctrines of scripture, God, the angels, humanity, and sin so that you will have a wide base of knowledge for your teaching and ministry. The master’s in religious education online degree will also provide training on how to serve and equip the church through small group ministry and the practice of effective pedagogy in classroom or pulpit presentation settings.
We will help prepare you to become an effective leader rooted in foundational biblical principles. You will learn about leadership from both a New and Old Testament perspective. In addition to becoming a stronger spiritual leader, you will be trained on the administrative side of church leadership. Seasoned professors will teach you how to approach the business side of church ministries such as managing staff, finances, buildings, and public relations to help accomplish the mission and vision of the Church.
- DSMN 630 – Small Group Ministries
- EVAN 525 – Contemporary Evangelism
- GLST 500 – Global Studies*
- THEO 525 – Systematic Theology I
*Global studies course guides are available on request
Highlights of Our Master’s in Religious Education Online Degree Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Master of Religious Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s in religious education online degree program has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our master’s in religious education online degree program in as little as 2.5 years.
Similar Degree Programs
- Master’s in Christian Apologetics – Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Christian Apologetics focuses on the philosophical, historical, and biblical knowledge you’ll need to know to defend the Christian faith. You will be provided with a deeper knowledge of the Scriptures for personal ministry and understanding of the Bible.
- Master’s in Global Studies – Our Master of Arts in Global Studies is designed to provide you with the tools and skills needed to serve in cross-cultural contexts. You will be equipped with the communication and writing skills needed for global involvement and cultural understanding. This program provides a biblical and theological basis for global involvement and provides an examination of cultures, world religions, and worldviews.
Master’s in Religious Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the Master of Religious Education degree are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in Religious Education Online Degree
Upon completion of your Master of Religious Education online degree, you will have the opportunity to follow your desired career path in many different settings, including:
- Christian education
- Christian school or Sunday school administration
- Curriculum director
- Instructional supervision
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Religion Programs
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact information for a pastoral recommendation
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.