Invest in Your Future with an Online MS in Accounting
As globalization increases and economies grow, tax and regulatory environments have become increasingly complex. The changing financial landscape has created a steady demand for accountants and auditors who can consistently deliver for their clients.
Liberty University’s Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) online is a valuable degree that can be useful in both private and public markets. Our online MSA degree is designed for working professionals and can help take your career to new heights — especially if you’re looking for a degree that can help you sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam.
Our master’s degree in accounting is designed to equip you with conceptual business knowledge and marketable skills that can be used to successfully pursue an accounting career. In addition, courses you complete in our MSA program can count toward the hours of formal education required to sit for the CPA exam. If you’re interested in preparing for the CPA exam with a respected master’s degree at an accredited, faith-based university, Liberty may be a great fit for you.
Among only 3% of business schools worldwide to receive ACBSP accreditation
Master’s in accounting vs. MBA in Accounting
The difference between our master of science in accounting degree and an MBA at Liberty lies in the emphasis of the degree. While both degree programs are excellent for career advancement and professional development, you’ll want to consider your career goals when choosing between an online Master of Science in Accounting and an MBA.
Our online master’s in accounting degree features a core of accounting courses and requires just three general business courses, while our Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Accounting places a heavier emphasis on general business. If you’re interested in a career that is strictly accounting-focused, our MS in Accounting – General may be the best fit for you. If you like accounting but you’re also interested in other business careers such as operations or marketing, you may find our Master of Business Administration – Accounting concentration more appealing.
Students interested in becoming Certified Public Accountants (CPA’s) will likely find the MSA degree online to be a better fit than our MBA. Our MSA degree’s core courses can count towards the hours or formal education needed to sit for the CPA exam, and the degree’s curriculum is rooted in advanced accountancy.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online MSA Degree – General?
Our Master of Science in Accounting – General can provide you with advanced training in accounting practices and techniques that can help you work in specialized accounting roles. In addition, the courses of our MSA degree are offered 100% online in 8-week sections with no set login times, so you can complete your degree at a pace that best fits your work and family schedule.
As a student in our master’s in general accounting program, you can learn from expert professors who have years of real-world experience. Our instructors are principled, distinguished accountants who have a vested interest in your personal and professional success. They are readily available for mentorship and happy to share their wisdom with you. Moreover, online doesn’t mean alone. At Liberty, you can gain valuable networking opportunities and interaction with other business professionals from around the country.
Additionally, this graduate-level online accounting degree is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), so you can rest assured that this Master of Science in Accounting – General has met rigorous accreditation requirements and can help you stand out in job applicant pools.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s Degree in Accounting Online?
Liberty University’s master’s in accounting online degree provides training in accounting concepts that can apply to a number of industries. Our online MSA degree – general has two sections: core accounting courses and general business courses. Your accounting courses will cover advanced business law for accountants, cost accounting, and accounting information systems. You will also study tax research and jurisprudence, auditing, financial accounting theory, and accounting ethics.
Our general accounting specialization consists of 9 credit hours and allows you to choose from a list of several courses, such as strategic leadership and management, entrepreneurship, effective executive communication, and international business. You can also choose to study managerial finance, organizational behavior, and marketing management.
Our online master’s in accounting has been designed with your success in mind. The courses of this degree can help you become an accounting authority who is capable of analyzing complex business data and making informed, responsible business decisions. By partnering with Liberty for your online master’s degree in accounting, you can become a more ethical, principled professional whose expertise can be used to help various businesses and organizations thrive.
- ACCT 511 – Advanced Business Law for Accountants
- ACCT 612 – Tax Research and Jurisprudence
- ACCT 622 – Advanced Auditing
- ACCT 642 – Accounting Ethics
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s MSA Online Degree Program?
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Science in Accounting degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- You can complete the online master’s in accounting in just 1 year.
- The MS in Accounting is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). Our School of Business is among only 3% of business schools worldwide to earn ACBSP accreditation.
- Accounting coursework can be used towards the accrual of hours needed to sit for the CPA exam.
Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- Download and explore the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Business Course Guides. (login required)
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options for Online Master’s Degree in Accounting Graduates
Our master’s in accounting online degree is designed to help prepare you for accounting, auditing, and management roles. If you’re interested in starting your own business, this degree can also help you master general business skills useful in growing your company. With an ACBSP-accredited master’s in accounting from Liberty University, you can feel confident that your degree will meet the standards set by exclusive business organizations and public roles.
You can pursue a career as a(n):
- Audit accountant
- Business owner
- Certified public accountant*
- Finance manager
- Personal financial advisor
*While this degree is an excellent choice if you hope to become a certified public accountant, you must pass the CPA exam to officially become a CPA.
Admission Requirements for the Master of Science in Accounting Online Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
*Please Note: The Master of Science in Accounting requires specific accounting coursework as a prerequisite to admission.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.