Provide Student Care and Counseling by Earning a Master’s in School Counseling Online
Think about a person who had a great influence on the path your life took. Is there a teacher in your life who comes to mind? If you are passionate about being a positive role model in a child’s life, then becoming a school counselor might be the right career path for you. As a counselor, you will have the chance to help children navigate their often difficult and overwhelming years in grade school.
Liberty University’s CACREP–accredited M.Ed. master’s in school counseling prepares you to be a school counselor in Christian, public, and private schools.
So, why get a master of education in school counseling? With this counseling and related educational degree, you will obtain counseling and psychology knowledge and training, focusing on ethics and techniques, ethnicity, family counseling, and career guidance. This M.Ed. program provides specialized preparation for individuals seeking credentials for a K-12 school position.
In becoming a school counselor, you will gain both practical and theoretical knowledge to apply in real-life experiences. Our online master’s in school counseling degree will train you to help students process their problems and make realistic goals for their future. Not only will you assist them in school but you can help them apply for colleges, find jobs, and apply for scholarships to fund their college education.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in School Counseling Program?
You’re Not Alone — Join Our Community of Professionals
Our Master of Education in School Counseling program supports a learning environment that encourages collaboration. Join a culturally diverse, global student body as you prepare to be a competent, responsible, ethical, and professional school counselor. You will be prepared to teach in many types of school settings like public, private, and Christian elementary, middle, and high schools.
Upon graduating, you will be prepared to meet the needs of diverse bodies of students. You will learn to attend to students’ mental, spiritual, and physical health and development. You will learn to implement a balanced approach that promotes universal and optimal academic achievement and student well-being.
Turn Knowledge into Wisdom
Your internship and practicum will ensure that you have the experience you need to enter your career as a school counselor with confidence upon graduation. Work alongside seasoned professionals as you see the knowledge you gained in the classroom put into practical application. We want you to be successful! Join the ranks of Liberty graduates who are fulfilling their calling. You can help make a difference in a young child’s life and give meaning to yours.
Liberty University’s mission is to produce ethically and spiritually aware mental health counselors who possess the knowledge, values, skills, and personal disposition to promote the mental health of students across diverse populations. All students must complete the internship and practicum portions of the degree. This ensures that you graduate with the skills and experience needed to be a school counselor.
M.Ed. in School Counseling FAQs
Here is a list of many questions that people often ask about school counseling degree programs.
Q: How long do you need to go to school to become a counselor?
A: You can complete our M.Ed. in School Counseling in as little as 2 years! Our 8-week courses have eight different start dates per year. This can make it easier to complete your degree quickly.
And with no set login times, you have the added flexibility to study when it’s convenient for your schedule.
Q: What else can I do with a master’s degree in school counseling?
A: A school counselor can help students decide which classes to take and chart their future educational or career goals.
Our CACREP accreditation will help add merit to your degree. This accreditation of counseling will also be beneficial if you choose other career paths. These can include community mental health or even working in private practice if you pursue licensure.
Q: What are some of the best online education programs for school counseling?
A: Our School Counseling master’s program is listed on BestColleges.com as one of the best online master’s in school counseling for 2019.
Liberty University has also been recognized as a Gold School of Distinction by BestColleges.com. That means we are in the top 1% of online schools and universities for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Education in School Counseling Degree?
Our online master’s in school counseling degree will help you gain the self-confidence you need to be an effective counselor. You will learn to apply counseling skills with diverse populations and how to collaborate and conduct referrals in a school setting. Our online school counselor degree will show you how to appropriately integrate your faith into counseling in an ethically competent manner. Our online school counseling programs will provide the training to identify and create intervention strategies.
You will train in professional and ethical conduct as a school counselor. You will also understand culturally sensitive counseling practices, social justice, and advocacy approaches in a society with various types of belief systems. Your online master’s in school counseling will teach you to recognize family, personal, and environmental factors that affect career development processes and activities for all grade levels.
Additionally, you will:
- Learn to demonstrate emotional and mental stability in interaction with others
- Develop healthy boundaries and learn how communication is key to successful counseling
- Learn to successfully manage personal anxiety or uncomfortable feelings
- Gain the ability to collaborate with others and resolve interpersonal conflict
Our master’s in school counseling online is taught from a biblical perspective. It will prepare you to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate comprehensive school counseling programs — programs that are culturally sensitive and promote the career, personal, social, and academic development of children and adolescents.
- COSC 604 — Foundations of Education
- COSC 622 — Educational Assessment and Intervention
- COSC 660 — Principles of School Counseling
- COSC 661 — School Counseling Program Development and Evaluation
Master’s in School Counseling Program Information
- This program is online with required intensives.
- A 2-semester internship is required, as well as a practicum.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View our School Counseling Advising Guide.
- The Education Department will verify that students have completed one of Liberty’s Virginia state-approved licensure programs.
- No prior teaching license is required for this program.
- Students should verify any additional licensure requirements with their home state.
- This program is accredited by both NCATE through CAEP and CACREP.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC).
- Adherence to the Professional Identity and Standards outlined by the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics and Liberty Graduate Student Code of Honor is expected throughout your pursuit of obtaining a master’s in school counseling online.
- Liberty’s Dr. Schellenberg partnered with Dr. Tyler Kimbel, Vice President for Research and Advocacy for CACREP, to develop the first and only set of spiritual and religious competencies for school counseling to be used in both public and private K-12 schools. The competencies were published in the profession’s hallmark Tier 1 journal with a request to write an article for the ASCA School Counselor magazine, as well as present on these competencies at national conferences.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times times
Master of Education School Counseling Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Master of Education in School Counseling degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete this online master’s in school counseling degree program in as little as 2 years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching — Liberty’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) provides a path for students with an education background to advance their teaching skills, as well as provides students wanting to move into a rewarding new career in teaching with the opportunity to seek the credentials for licensure. The online M.A.T. degree pairs advanced learning theory with an evidence-based practical methodology. Together, these will equip you to help children and young adults in their educational journey.
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling — Our Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling furthers your education in the study of human behavior and the application of helping skills. You will master a review of essential literature for the master’s level professional preparation of human services counseling workers. This literature is especially relevant if you seek to offer services in areas like leadership, families, addictions, and recovery.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy — The Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy provides you with a strong understanding of counseling principles and strategies, as well as prepares you to seek licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. Courses will provide you with a thorough background in individual and group counseling theories and techniques, as well as clinical practice. Emphasis is placed on the understanding of ethical, professional, and legal issues in counseling.
Potential Future Careers for Those Who Earn a Master of Education in School Counseling Online
Industry outlook: The U.S. Department of Labor expects school and career counselors to see a 7-10% growth in employment through 2028.* Growing enrollment, at all levels of education, creates a need for counselors to respond to the development and academic needs of students.
Upon completion of your online Master of Education — School Counseling degree from Liberty University, you will have the opportunity to pursue:
- Licensed school counseling in public and private K-12 schools
- Continued education/requirements to become a licensed professional counselor
*Data obtained from the Occupational Information Network (O*NET) under the sponsorship of the U.S. Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Information obtained on November 21, 2019.
Admission Requirements for the M.Ed. in School Counselor Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Contact information for 2 recommenders
- Personal statement
- Agreement to Mission Statement and Diversity Statement
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.