Help People Achieve Their Goals with a Master’s Degree in Life Coaching
If you want to increase your effectiveness as a church leader or ministry professional, Liberty’s online M.A. in Pastoral Counseling – Life Coaching may be right for you. Our program can equip you to help members of your congregation grow in their faith and achieve their full potential. Upon graduation, you could pursue roles as a biblical counselor in churches and various non-licensure agencies.
Students in this program will study a biblical approach to counseling and mental health. While regular counselors focus on people’s mental and emotional needs, pastoral counselors also recognize the importance of spiritual matters. Liberty’s master’s in pastoral counseling can help provide the tools you need to offer counseling that is both clinically and biblically sound.
The life coaching cognate contains specialized training that can help you guide members of your church toward reaching their professional, financial, and relational goals. With the knowledge you will gain in this program, you can help lead others toward a brighter future using effective coaching techniques and relevant biblical advice.
Please note that the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree for more information about counseling licensure.
What is a life coach minister?
Life coaches work with clients to set responsible goals and practical steps to achieve them. The practice of life coaching revolves around developing short-term goals that promote long-term success. As a biblically trained life coach, you can help people create plans and goals that align with ethical principles. You can also help them find greater fulfillment in their careers, relationships, and everyday lives.
How is a life coach different from a therapist?
Therapists are trained healthcare professionals who help people work through past trauma and issues that are holding them back from leading a fulfilling life. In contrast, life coaches help clients develop clear, specific action points for achieving certain goals. In other words, therapy is about dealing with the past while life coaching involves preparing for the future.
What problems do life coaches solve?
Life coaches help address a variety of issues, from health and finances to marriage and professional development. As a life coach, you can help people develop solid plans to achieve specific goals. Liberty’s pastoral counseling program can help provide the tools you need to do just that from a biblical perspective.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Life Coaching Program?
This degree is offered 100% online, and the courses have no set login times. You can earn your degree at your own pace while studying under professors who have years of experience in ministry and Christian counseling.
This program contains optional intensives. While not required, these residential intensives provide a great opportunity to visit our beautiful campus in Lynchburg, Virginia. If you enjoy learning in a face-to-face environment, our intensives can help you connect in-person with other students and faculty.
Maybe you are a minister who wants to provide quality counseling to those in your congregation — or perhaps you want to work as a Christian counselor in an agency. Either way, our life coaching degree can help you pursue your goals.
Many ministry professionals want to help people who are struggling with spiritual and mental health crises. That’s why Liberty offers an M.A. in Pastoral Counseling. The courses in this program will build on your ministry experience so you can potentially branch out into life coaching or Christian counseling roles. You’ll learn how to offer quality pastoral care and lead people in your congregation toward lasting hope, peace, and healing. And, if you are specifically interested in helping others set practical goals for the future, our life coaching concentration can help.
Discounted Tuition Rates
The online M.A. in Pastoral Counseling is part of the School of Behavioral Sciences but still receives the School of Divinity’s discounted graduate tuition rate of $395 per credit hour for part-time students. Additionally, students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Life Coaching Degree?
In this program, you can develop foundational Christian counseling skills and specialized knowledge in the area of life coaching. Ultimately, you will learn how to offer practical, biblical guidance and help others work through life’s challenges.
Your core courses will explore how the science of psychology draws on biblical principles of personhood and human nature, as well as how mental and spiritual health are intertwined. By completing a pastoral counseling internship, you can gain marketable skills and hands-on experience in your field. The internship requirement also serves as a valuable way for you to help the people in your community, even before you graduate!
If you want to become a life coach, our life coaching area of study provides the training you need to succeed. We offer a customizable completion track, which means you’ll get to select courses that are most suited to your interests and career goals. Some of the topics you might choose to study include marriage, finance, health and wellness, and professional life coaching. By learning how to help people of all ages pursue their calling, you could go on to work for a coaching agency or launch your own life coach ministry.
Our goal is to help you integrate ethical standards and biblical truth with cutting-edge psychological research. Partner with us and prepare to help people of all ages, backgrounds, and experiences pursue their goals.
- LIFC 601 – Health and Wellness Coaching
- LIFC 602 – Marriage Coaching
- LIFC 603 – Financial Life Coaching
- LIFC 604 – Leadership Professional Life Coaching
Highlights of Studying Pastoral Counseling at Liberty University
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- You can complete this pastoral counseling master’s degree in under 2 years!
- Our online classes are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Christian Life Coaching Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (9-15 credit hours)*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
Life Coach Master’s Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for the M.A. in Pastoral Counseling – Life Coaching program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program that does not fulfill clinical counseling requirements. If you want to become a licensed counselor, you may want to consider Liberty’s Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree.
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Pastoral Counseling – Life Coaching Degree?
Students who complete a master’s degree in life coaching online can pursue many types of ministry-based, non-licensure counseling careers. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Associate pastor
- Church administrator
- Church counselor
- Life coach
- Non-licensed counselor
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Pastoral Counseling Degree Online
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.