Marriage Coaching is a rapidly growing practice that involves mentoring or guiding a couple as they explore the requisite skills, knowledge, confidence, and goals that they will need to become proficient and successful in the area(s) in which they are being coached. This course will address some of the more advanced skills with which the Marriage Coach should become adept.
As a basis for their work, marriage coaches should have a thorough understanding of coaching models, theory, and application. This knowledge serves to heighten the coaches’ effectiveness in formulating effective coaching strategies in an efficient and timely manner.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Examine and explain the contemporary issues addressed within the field of marriage coaching.
- Analyze the major theoretical models in marriage coaching and how they relate to the actual practice of coaching.
- Appraise marriage coaching and its applicability in the context of couples’ lives.
- Compare and contrast marriage coaching with counseling and social work.
- Construct a framework from which marriage coaching services can be delivered.
- Analyze the difference between secular and Christian models of marriage coaching.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations/notes
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in the Course Overview.
Discussions are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each discussion. Each thread must be at least 250 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 1 other classmate’s thread. The reply must be at least 150 words. (MLO: A, B, C, D, E, F)
Book Review Assignments (2)
The student is required to complete two book reviews of 4–5 pages each during the course of his/her study. (MLO: A, B, C, D, E, F)
Quiz: SYMBIS Certification
The student will complete the online SYMBIS Training Kit to obtain certification. Evidence of certification must be submitted via screenshot to show the instructor that the certification was successfully completed.
Coaching Session Assignments (2)
The student is required to conduct two 50 to 60-minute coaching sessions to explain the SYMBIS assessment report and to help the couple reach their goals. After each session, the student will complete a questionnaire about the information gathered during the coaching session. (MLO: A, B, C, D, E, F)