Promote Mental Health and Holistic Wellness in Your Community with Liberty’s Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Studies
The modern mental health crisis is growing more severe by the day. Numerous people struggle with depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and suicidal thoughts – and there is a great need for ethical, spiritually aware mental health professionals to help foster mental wellness in their communities. With Liberty University’s 100% online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Studies, you can become equipped to promote the mental health and holistic wellness of individuals and families across diverse populations.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Social and Community Service Managers, 2021 (viewed online Aug. 31, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Our mental health certificate courses can help you build new skills and credentials that you could use to bolster your current job performance, pursue positions of added responsibility, or start fresh in a new career field. At only 12 credit hours, you can complete this mental health certificate online in just 1.5 semesters – saving you time and money.
Additionally, the credits from this non-licensure certificate can potentially transfer into one of several different graduate degree programs: the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, the Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy, or the Master of Arts in Addiction Counseling. That way, you can get the training you need now while building toward a future licensure degree if you later decide to further your education.
Grappling with mental health problems can be challenging, and no one should have to go it alone. Partner with us and prepare to help people heal, grow, and thrive as they pursue mental, emotional, and spiritual wholeness.
Potential Career Options with a Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Studies
Our Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Studies can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Case manager
- Community outreach worker
- Program coordinator
- Psychiatric technician/aide
- Research assistant
- Victim advocate
The counseling, research, and communication skills that you gain from our certificate in mental health studies can be an asset in many other aspects of the counseling field as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into one of the following degrees: MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MA in Marriage and Family Therapy, or MA in Addiction Counseling. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a mental health studies certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
Why Choose Liberty’s Graduate Mental Health Certificate Program?
We’re committed to offering a top-notch education that fits your schedule. Our certificate courses in mental health studies are offered 100% online in 8-week sections with no set login times. Whether you’re a parent, a working professional, or have other important commitments outside of school, you’ll have the freedom to pursue your educational goals without putting your life on hold.
At Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. We are regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Not only that, but all of our online mental health courses are taught by industry professionals who have spent years working in counseling and mental health services. By pursuing your degree at an accredited institution that offers world-class instruction, you can confidently prepare to take the next step in your career.
We don’t just train mental health professionals – we equip compassionate, principled individuals to be Champions for Christ in their communities. As you complete your mental health classes online, you’ll study industry best practices as well as the ethical aspects of counseling – so you can carry out your work with integrity. Additionally, you’ll have the opportunity to learn how to minister to the whole person – mentally, emotionally, and spiritually – allowing you to help people achieve lasting peace and healing.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Certificate Courses in Mental Health Studies?
Our graduate mental health certificate program gives you the flexibility to mix and match courses, so you can study the topics that best align with your interests and career goals. Your Certificate Completion Plan lists 5 courses, from which you will select 4 you’d like to complete.
Here are some of the topics you could explore while completing your online mental health certificate program:
- Ethical and legal issues encountered by professional counselors and marriage and family therapists
- How a Christian worldview and a client’s spirituality impact the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning process in counseling
- Major ethnic groups and the counseling, social justice, and advocacy approaches appropriate to each
- Methods for identifying and resolving ethical dilemmas in the counseling profession
- Research methods, design, statistical analysis, needs assessment, and program evaluation for evidence-based practice
- Scientific inquiry in the specialty fields of counseling and therapy
- Selected theories of counseling and psychotherapy, including empirically supported treatment modalities
- Techniques for conceptualizing client presentations and selecting appropriate interventions while considering issues of diversity
- The importance of counselor cultural self-awareness
- The role of counseling in eliminating biases, prejudice, oppression, and discrimination
Choose 4 of the following courses:
- CEFS 501 – Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
- CEFS 504 – Multicultural Counseling
- CEFS 506 – Integration of Spirituality and Counseling
- CEFS 510 – Theories of Counseling
- CEFS 515 – Research and Program Evaluation
Highlights of Our Graduate Mental Health Certificate Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- You can complete this mental health certificate in as little as 1.5 semesters!
- The credits you complete during this program can potentially transfer into our MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MA in Marriage and Family Therapy, or MA in Addiction Counseling.
Online Mental Health Certificate Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- Please note: This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Our Mental Health Graduate Certificate Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Studies Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.