Promote Healthy Living and Personal Growth with a Master’s in Health and Wellness Counseling
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and finding the best way to help people improve their lives by changing their behavior? With the 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology. This knowledge can help you solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field.
If you are currently serving in a healthcare field, you know that a person’s mental well-being is just as crucial as their physical health. The health and wellness area of study can help you meld psychology with healthcare administration to help promote holistic living.
If you want to help others thrive and are interested in focusing on healthcare and community health, then this degree is for you. Partner with us today so you can get closer to your goals and make a difference in the lives of others.
What is a health care counselor?
Health care counselors work to address both the psychological and physical needs of communities as well as individual patients. They may work with patients one-on-one, address community health concerns, and work to improve health care policy.
What is a degree in health and wellness?
Health and wellness degree programs are intended to provide students with counseling techniques as well as skills related to healthcare administration. Our program offers courses that cover topics like issues in public and community health, grant acquisition and management, and health policy.
How much do counselors make with a master’s degree?
Salaries can vary depending on the specific role you choose to take as a health and wellness counselor. One of the most common positions is a health educator. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for this role as of May 2019 was $55,220.*
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Health and Wellness Psychology Program?
Liberty University’s mission is Training Champions for Christ, so we strive for excellence in all that we do. Here are some of the reasons why we believe Liberty stands out:
- Complete your health and wellness degree program coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective human services counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in this human services and counseling degree while you explore cutting-edge scholarship and methods for health and wellness care.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Mental Health and Wellness Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online human services counseling program will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues influence counseling in individual and group settings. As a Christian college, Liberty bases this study of human thought and behavior on a Christian worldview and demonstrates how these science and evidence-based practices are informed by biblical principles.
The health and wellness area of study for the online master’s in human services counseling provides many practical skills for the healthcare field that will make you a valuable asset for management roles. You will be able to choose role-specific healthcare electives to diversify your knowledge as well as learn important skills, like grant writing, to assist in managing resources available to healthcare organizations. You may choose to become knowledgeable in health policy so that you can navigate laws and regulations relevant to your role or learn how to manage fundraising, staffing, liability, and other administrative needs in healthcare.
- HLTH 553 – Grant Acquisition and Management
- HLTH 556 – Politics and Health Policy
- HLTH 635 – Health Agency Management
- HLTH 640 – Principles of Nutrition
Please note: Our online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling for information about counseling licensure.
Highlights of Our Online Health and Wellness Master’s Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the online Master of Arts in counseling for mental health and wellness degree in as little as 1 year.
Degree Information for the Master’s in Human Services Counseling at Liberty University
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Health and Wellness Degree Jobs Available to Graduates
- Childcare center director
- Clinic director
- Community health worker
- Environmental health and safety coordinator
- Health educator
- Non-licensed counselor
- Recreational manager
- Special events coordinator
Military Benefits for the Master’s Degree in Wellness and Mental Health
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Health Educators and Community Health Workers (viewed online August 4, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.