Become a Knowledgeable Human Services Professional with Liberty’s Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – General
Are you a human services professional looking for a degree that offers you the flexibility to study the topics that mean the most to you? If so, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts (MA) in Human Services Counseling – General may be a great fit for you! This online human services counseling master’s degree is an excellent option if you’re a mental health professional or social services worker who would like to gain additional knowledge that is specific to human services settings.
If you’ve worked in human services or mental health before, you know that people often need help overcoming personal challenges. You also know that sometimes adults and children need an advocate – which is where you can help. By partnering with us for your human services counseling master’s degree, you can advance your knowledge of the helping professions and pursue positions of added responsibility.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to develop a human services master’s program that can help you grow as a professional while respecting your personal commitments. This degree program is offered 100% online in 8-week course sections with no set login times. That way, you can pursue your academic goals while staying connected to the things that matter most – your job, family, and community.
Another benefit to our online graduate human services program is the flexibility it gives you when choosing courses. The general specialization consists of several free elective courses. While other degree programs require to you take specific courses, this degree program offers you some freedom to design your own degree path around your interests, career aspirations, and strengths.
This degree program is taught by a group of expert professors who have years of experience in the helping professions. At Liberty, you won’t just learn from a textbook – you’ll learn from distinguished human services authorities. You’ll also have the opportunity to network with peers, work collaboratively, and consider differing views as you pursue your degree.
At Liberty, we strive to make earning your master’s degree in human services counseling as simple as possible – without sacrificing any of the quality you expect from a graduate degree. Partner with us, gain valuable knowledge, and take your career to new heights.
Can you be a counselor with a human services degree?
While you can use this degree to pursue non-licensure counseling roles or supplement the counseling licensure you already hold, our Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical licensure requirements. If you are interested in studying to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), please see our Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in Human Services Online Degree?
Our master’s in human services counseling consists of 2 sections: core human services courses and the general specialization. Together, these areas offer you a world-class human services counseling education.
You will begin your degree by studying introductory topics in human services counseling. From there, you will study human growth and development, the integration of spirituality and counseling, and interpersonal communication. You will also explore multicultural issues in human services and group dynamics.
The general specialization is made up of 4 courses. This section of our online master’s degree in human services does not require any specific courses – rather, it allows you to choose your courses from a wide variety of subjects. You can study marriage and family counseling, life coaching, military resilience, or substance abuse counseling. You can also elect to take crisis counseling courses or classes that examine the parent-adolescent relationship.
Through our curriculum, you can become a more knowledgeable and prepared human services professional who is capable of serving people from all walks of life.
- HSCO 506 – Integration of Spirituality and Counseling
- HSCO 508 – Studies in Interpersonal Communication
- HSCO 509 – Multicultural Issues in Human Services
- HSCO 511 – Group Dynamics
Human Services Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options for Master’s Degree in Human Services Online Graduates
You may pursue several potential jobs with a master’s degree in human services, such as:
- Career counselor
- Child advocate
- Christian counselor
- Human services coordinator
- Non-licensed counselor
Highlights of Our Master’s Degree in Human Services Counseling – General
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online human services degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years — and counting.
- You can complete this online master’s degree in human services counseling in just 1 year!
- Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- As an online student, you’ll have the opportunity to network with human services and mental health experts from across the country.
- See best practices put to action by observing group meetings in your own community.
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.