Help the Suffering with an Online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Crisis Response and Trauma Degree
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Crisis Response and Trauma online degree is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for advancement in their careers, as well as students who are just entering the human services and mental health field. Our 100% online master’s in human services counseling degree does not require any on-campus visits so you can fit our flexible online courses into your busy schedule.
As a nonprofit, Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals who can apply the best available scientific research and clinical tools to their practice with a biblical worldview. As such, the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will equip you to better serve your clients who struggle with the challenges of life by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The crisis response and trauma area of study for the online master’s in human services counseling will provide training in helping communities and individuals to recover from life-altering tragedies, emergencies, and trauma situations. The skills and knowledge gained through the crisis response and trauma degree can equip counselors* and mental health experts with the crisis counseling and trauma therapy tools needed to identify and address the effects of traumatic events such as natural disasters, terrorist attacks, abuse, and personal tragedy. These events can damage individuals, families, and whole communities’ ability to have healthy relationships and lead successful lives.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Crisis Response and Trauma
Throughout our online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree, you will embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology while applying this knowledge to solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field. The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences so that you can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while still maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
The crisis response and trauma area of study for the online master’s in human services counseling degree will show you how to apply crisis counseling principles and trauma therapy techniques to help people in times of trouble and disaster. These skills will equip you to be able to go out into your community and help in times of need and suffering, or if you want to go to ground zero when disaster strikes at home or abroad.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your schedule with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective crisis response and trauma counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for crisis trauma and response.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in Human Services Online Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online master’s in human services counseling will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues impact counseling in individual and group settings.
Students who pursue the crisis response and trauma area of study for the online master’s in human services counseling will learn how to apply core crisis counseling and mental health support skills to disaster relief efforts and trauma therapy. In this program, you will have the opportunity to customize your crisis response and trauma electives in areas that will be most useful to your needs. For example, you can choose to receive general crisis and first responder training to ensure that you will be prepared to help during a disaster or take situation-specific courses such as PTSD and combat-related trauma to assist veterans. Students in the crisis response and trauma area of study will have a flexible crisis counseling toolset of assessment and treatment options to help suffering people in their communities.
- CRIS 606 – Acute Stress, Grief, and Trauma
- CRIS 607 – PTSD and Combat-Related Trauma
- CRIS 608 – Trauma Assessment and Interventions
- CRIS 609 – Complex Trauma and Disasters: Offering Emotional and Spiritual Care
*Please note that the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling for more information about counseling licensure.
Online Human Services Counseling Degree Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Crisis Response and Trauma degree in as little as 1 year.
Master’s in Human Services Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Crisis Response and Trauma Degree
Graduating from the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling can give students mental health support and counseling skills that are useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services settings. These settings include Christian counseling ministry, disaster relief organizations, childhood abuse support, veteran support, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, and other types of casework and support settings where counseling skills are needed. Chaplaincy may be an option in some cases, however, many roles will require additional training or a seminary degree.
Some of the specific positions you may be able to pursue with your M.A. in Human Services Counseling degree include:
- Child victim advocate
- Community relations coordinator
- Corporate crisis manager
- Crisis counselor
- Crisis intervention advocate
- Disaster relief counselor
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Human Sevices Counseling – Crisis Response and Trauma
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.