Help the Suffering with an Online Master’s in Trauma Counseling
Have you seen tragedy strike and felt called to help survivors? Trauma and crisis response counseling is a noble field that needs professionals who are both compassionate and well-educated. There are individuals across the world who are suffering the effects of a traumatic incident or abuse, and they need someone to come alongside them and work through their pain.
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Crisis Response and Trauma online degree can help you gain the training you need to help people suffering as a result of traumatic experiences. Whether you are looking for career advancement or just starting out in human services, this program can help.
Please note: The online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. If you are interested in pursuing a licensure program please see our Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is trauma counseling?
This is the area of counseling that focuses on individuals who have experienced a traumatic life event and consequently require mental health services. Trauma counseling may be helpful to individuals struggling with PTSD from military service, natural disasters, terrorist attacks, abuse, and more. With a trauma therapist degree, you can help people dealing with the effects of traumatic experiences through counseling.
Do counselors need a master’s degree?
In most situations, counselors need a master’s degree. As a counselor, you would be working on mental health concerns with patients. This type of work requires specialized training that can be offered through a program like the M.A. in Human Services Counseling at Liberty University.
What degree do you need to be a trauma therapist?
The degree you pursue will depend on what specifically you are planning to do as a trauma therapist. Our trauma counseling master’s degree can prepare you to work as a non-licensed counselor in some of the following settings:
- Community center
- Church or ministry
- International relief work
- Private mental health facility
- Rehabilitation center
How do you become a trauma specialist?
In order to become someone who specializes in working with trauma victims, you will need education, training, and experience. Our trauma psychology program can provide you with the core competencies you will need to get started in this field.
How much do trauma counselors make?
The salary of a trauma counselor can vary depending on where you work, your level of experience, and other factors. However, the average national salary for trauma psychologists in the United States is approximately $63,000 annually.*
*MastersInPsychologyGuide.com, at Trauma Psychologist (viewed online August 6, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Trauma Counseling Online?
You want to help survivors of tragedy, and we want to help you get there. Our program is designed to provide you with the tools to succeed in trauma and crisis response therapy. But we believe there is more to your education than just providing you with academic checkpoints.
Here are some of the reasons why Liberty stands out:
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your needs with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Complete a study of human behavior with a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective crisis response and trauma counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for crisis trauma and response.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in Trauma Counseling Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues impact counseling in individual and group settings.
In the master’s in human services counseling crisis response and trauma area of study, you will learn how to apply core crisis counseling and mental health support skills to disaster relief efforts and trauma therapy. You will have the opportunity to customize your crisis response and trauma electives in areas that will be most useful to your needs. Students in the crisis response and trauma area of study will have flexible crisis counseling tools that include assessment and treatment options to help suffering people in their communities.
- CRIS 606 – Acute Stress, Grief, and Trauma
- CRIS 607 – PTSD and Combat-Related Trauma
- CRIS 608 – Trauma Assessment and Interventions
- CRIS 609 – Complex Trauma and Disasters: Offering Emotional and Spiritual Care
Highlights of Our Master’s Degree in Trauma Counseling Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online trauma and crisis master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the trauma studies graduate program online in as little as 1 year.
Human Services Counseling Crisis and Trauma Master’s Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Trauma Counseling Master’s Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options for Graduates of Our Online Master’s in Trauma Psychology
Graduating with an online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling can give students mental health support and counseling skills that are useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services settings. Some of the specific positions you may be able to pursue with your M.A. in Human Services Counseling degree include:
- Child victim advocate
- Community relations coordinator
- Corporate crisis manager
- Crisis counselor
- Crisis intervention advocate
- Disaster relief counselor
Admission Requirements for Our Master’s in Trauma and Crisis Counseling Degree Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.