Advance Your Understanding of the Human Mind and Development by Earning a Master’s in Developmental Psychology from Liberty University
Are you interested in understanding how the human mind works and develops throughout the life cycle? Developmental psychology is the study of human brain and thought development. This field focuses on why we do the things we do from infancy through adulthood. If you are in this field already or interested in getting started, our developmental psychology master’s program can help.
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Applied Psychology – Developmental Psychology is designed to help you work with children in counseling settings. Trying to advance in your career or just starting out in the field for the first time? Either way, our degree can help you meet your professional goals. Use our applied psychology and human development degree to make a difference in the lives of young people.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the role of a developmental psychologist?
A developmental psychologist primarily works with children and adolescents, helping them work through issues due to disabilities, abuse, life-altering events, and more.
How do you become a child psychologist?
To work in this profession, you will likely need a master’s degree and experience gained through an internship or volunteer experience. Many practices and states also require licensure.
How long does it take to get a degree in child psychology?
This depends on the degree you plan to pursue. Our applied developmental psychology program can be completed in just 1.5 years!
What can you do with a master’s degree in child development?
A master’s degree in child psychology can prepare you to work directly with children, advocate for children, or work in a support role for other counselors.
Are child psychologists in demand?
Yes – according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for psychologists is expected to grow 14% from 2018 to 2028.* This rate is much faster than average.
Is a master’s degree in psychology worth it?
There is an expected increase in the demand for psychologists, and the annual median salary for this field is $80, 370.* This degree will be well worth your time and effort.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Developmental Psychology Online Program?
There are a variety of developmental psychology graduate programs that you could choose from. But we believe Liberty University’s master’s in psychology stands out. Our mission is Training Champions for Christ, so we strive for excellence in all that we do. This includes raising up ethical leaders grounded in biblical principles. As a developmental psych major, this is of the utmost importance because you will be impacting the minds of future generations.
Here are some additional reasons why our developmental psychology online master’s program stands out:
- Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. That means your courses have met rigorous academic standards, and your degree will be well-respected among potential employers.
- Our flexible, 100% online format means that you can complete your degree while continuing to dedicate time to your family, community, and career.
- Our professors have real-life experience as counselors and psychologists. They are eager to partner alongside you and share their expertise.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master’s in Developmental Psychology?
The core content of the online master’s in applied psychology provides a basis for evaluating and applying psychological research. This will help you address real-world problems from a scientific point of view. You’ll study the advanced concepts of social and cognitive psychology as you work towards your Master of Arts in Applied Psychology. Additionally, you’ll learn how these studies integrate with a Christian worldview.
The developmental psychology area of study for the online master’s in applied psychology uses these advanced concepts to help you better understand the specific issues and aspects of human development across the lifespan. Students will gain an understanding of how a person handles stress, life events, biological changes, and social interactions as they grow through stages of life. Insight will be taken from psychological fields such as developmental neuropsychology and psychopathology – all from a biblical perspective.
- PSYC 525 – Developmental Psychology
- PSYC 620 – Intervention and Behavioral Support
- PSYC 631 – Adolescent Psychology
- PSYC 676 – Developmental Neuropsychology
Liberty University’s Applied Psychology Master’s Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Master’s in Child Psychology Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Careers for Master’s in Developmental Psychology Online Graduates
- Child rights advocate
- Developmental specialist
- Rehabilitation counselor
- Human resources analyst
- Social services manager
Graduates of the developmental psychology area of study for the online Master of Arts in Applied Psychology will have a flexible, advanced degree. This program prepares students for medical and psychology research, hands-on human services roles, and many human resources and mental health support roles in business. Students who complete the online master’s in applied psychology will also be equipped for doctoral studies and academic scholarship.
Highlights of Liberty University’s Psychology Master’s Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online master’s in child psychology from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the online developmental psychology master’s degree in under 2 years!
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Applied Psychology – Developmental Psychology Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Psychologists (viewed online August 6, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.