Intervention and Behavior Support – PSYC 620
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
Discussion of traditional and contemporary intervention strategies. Special emphasis on evidence-based practices and application to real-world scenarios.
The purpose of this course is to provide practical application of various behavioral interventions, therapeutic techniques, and best practices in psychology that reduce symptoms of psychological disorders. This course addresses psychology’s principles of developing a scientific understanding of behavior and mental processes which is a foundational premise of the Masters in Psychology program. It is important for the student to take this course to understand how to appropriately apply empirically supported treatment methods for psychological disorders to ensure that they are following best practice models.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of evidence-based treatment approaches for psychological disorders based upon a biopsychosocial framework for behavioral healthcare.
- Observe and critique clinical applications of traditional and contemporary treatment approaches for psychological disorders.
- Critically evaluate therapeutic components of treatment interventions for psychological disorders.
- Describe Christian integration interventions used to treat psychological disorders.
- Identity and apply evidenced-based, psychological treatment protocols to clinical case scenarios.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (8)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to provide a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be 300–500 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be at least 200 words.
Case Study Paper
The student will write a 10–12-page, research-based paper in current APA format. The paper must include at least 2 references in addition to the course textbooks and the Bible.
Each exam will cover the Reading & Study material for the modules/weeks in which it is assigned. Each exam will be open-book/open-notes, contain 50 multiple-choice and true/false questions, and have a 2-hour time limit.