Help Communities Rebuild with Liberty University’s Traumatology Degree
Have you ever witnessed a disaster on the news or in your own life? Communities and individuals alike can suffer severe consequences as a result of traumatic situations. From the city recovering from a natural disaster to the service member struggling with PTSD, people need the help of trained and equipped counselors.
That’s where a Doctor of Education (EdD) from Liberty University comes in. Our EdD in Community Care and Counseling – Traumatology can help equip you to counsel people who are dealing with traumatic experiences. Our professors will cover a wide variety of subjects including how to address emergencies, disasters, and personal tragedies with skill and sensitivity.
Please note: This EdD degree is not designed to meet state counseling licensure requirements. If you are interested in a state counseling license, please see our Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy, or Master of Education in School Counseling.
How do you become a trauma expert?
Becoming an expert in any field requires a combination of education, training, and experience. Liberty University’s community care and counseling traumatology degree can provide you with the tools needed to become a trauma counselor and expert.
Throughout this program, you will conduct both research and practice, helping you become more skilled as a trauma therapist. Additionally, since this is a terminal degree you will be at the educational height of your field upon graduation.
What degree do you need to be a trauma counselor?
In order to become a trauma counselor, you will need a master’s or doctoral degree in traumatology. Our EdD includes extensive research and writing for the integrated dissertation. However, our program goes beyond academia and provides you with expert knowledge and opportunities for real-life training and practice.
How does trauma therapy work?
There are several different types of therapy that can be used with trauma victims. However, one of the most common methods is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). Through CBT, the counselor conducts a limited number of sessions with the patient to talk through negative thought patterns. By identifying these patterns, the counselor can guide the patient to correct them and begin looking at situations in a healthier way.
CBT is a beneficial therapeutic method for trauma victims because it allows them to form healthy coping mechanisms when memories and triggers arise for them. You could help your patients learn to think in a way that allows them to thrive.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online EdD in Traumatology?
Our mission is Training Champions for Christ, and we strive for excellence in all that we do. Here are some of the ways that Liberty’s program stands out:
- Completing your EdD online program with Liberty University will provide you with both experience and an opportunity to conduct advanced research.
- The integrated dissertation allows you to simultaneously complete significant parts of your required research and your online course content.
- This doctorate offers 5 courses specifically in trauma therapy, helping you hone your skills in this unique area of counseling.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Community Care and Counseling – Traumatology Doctorate Degree Program?
This EdD in Traumatology focuses on personal research and writing. You can learn the core, expert-level content you need to succeed in trauma counseling for communities, families, and individuals. Then, you will take what you have learned and apply it to your dissertation, which will be an original, written work.
Some of the concepts that will prepare you for your EdD in trauma counseling online dissertation include:
- Appropriate responses to community trauma
- How to diagnose and treat addictive behaviors
- Qualitative methods of research
- Trauma in children, adults, and families
- Types of therapy used for trauma
Liberty University’s Online EdD in Traumatology Degree Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online doctorate in traumatology from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- Optional on-campus intensives give you the opportunity to receive hands-on training from experienced counseling professionals.
- By completing an integrated dissertation project, you can demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced counseling theories to real-world problems.
Liberty’s EdD in Community Care and Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review Liberty University’s EdD Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides for the doctorate in trauma counseling (login required).
- Download and view the Ed.D. in Community Care and Counseling Handbook for more information on the dissertation process and other aspects of this online trauma therapy and crisis response degree.
Military Benefits for Our Online Doctoral Program in Trauma Psychology
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with a Disaster and Developmental Traumatology Doctorate
Explore some of the career opportunities you may be qualified to pursue upon graduation:
- Church counselor
- Disaster relief recovery specialist
- Group therapist
- Outpatient care therapist
- Remote mental health coach
- Social worker
- Trauma therapist
- Victim advocate
Please note: Many clinical counseling roles will require individual state licensure.
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Community Care and Counseling EdD Program
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree* with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee**
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*Students without a counseling-related master’s degree may be required to complete a 3-credit-hour graduate statistics course.
**There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.