Help Communities Rebuild with Liberty University’s Traumatology Degree
Have you ever witnessed a disaster on the news or in your own life? Communities and individuals alike can suffer severe consequences as a result of traumatic situations. From the city recovering from a natural disaster to the service member struggling with PTSD, people need the help of trained and equipped counselors.
That’s where a Doctor of Education (EdD) from Liberty University comes in. Our EdD in Community Care and Counseling – Traumatology can equip you to help people who are dealing with traumatic experiences. You will learn to address emergencies, disasters, and personal tragedies with skill and sensitivity.
How do you become a trauma expert?
Becoming an expert in any field requires a combination of education, training, and experience. Liberty University’s community care and counseling traumatology degree can provide you with the tools needed to become a trauma counselor and expert.
Throughout this program, you will conduct both research and practice, helping you become more skilled as a trauma therapist. Additionally, this is a terminal degree. Upon graduation, you will be at the educational height of your field.
What degree do you need to be a trauma counselor?
In order to become a trauma counselor, you will need a master’s or doctoral degree in traumatology. Our EdD includes extensive research and writing for the integrated dissertation. However, our program goes beyond academia and provides you with expert knowledge and opportunities for real-life training and practice.
How does trauma therapy work?
There are several different types of therapy that can be used with trauma victims. However, one of the most common methods is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Through CBT, the counselor would conduct a limited number of sessions with the patient to talk through negative thought patterns. By identifying these patterns, the counselor can guide the patient to correct them and begin looking at situations from a more realistic point of view.
CBT is a beneficial therapeutic method for trauma victims because it allows them to form healthy coping mechanisms when memories and triggers arise for them. You could help your patients learn to think in a healthy way that allows them to thrive.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online EdD in Traumatology?
Our mission is Training Champions for Christ, and we strive for excellence in all that we do. Here are some of the ways that Liberty’s program stands out:
- Completing your EdD online program with Liberty University will provide you with both experience and an opportunity to conduct advanced research.
- Whether you pursue licensed or non-licensed counseling, this program can advance your skills and knowledge in the field.
- The integrated dissertation allows you to simultaneously complete significant parts of your required research and your online course content.
- This doctorate offers 5 courses specifically in trauma therapy, helping you hone your skills in this unique area of counseling.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Community Care and Counseling – Traumatology Doctorate Degree Program?
This EdD in Traumatology focuses on personal research and writing. You will learn all the core, expert-level content you need to succeed in trauma counseling for communities, families, and individuals. Then, you will take what you have learned and apply it to your dissertation, which will be an original, written work.
Some of the concepts that will prepare you for your Ed.D. in trauma counseling online dissertation include:
- Appropriate responses to community trauma
- How to diagnose and treat addictive behaviors
- Qualitative methods of research
- Trauma in children, adults, and families
- Types of therapy used for trauma
Please note: Our Ed.D. in Community Care and Counseling – Traumatology degree is not designed to meet any particular state’s licensing standards, so additional classes may need to be taken outside the program. If you are interested in a state counseling license, please see our M.A. in Professional Counseling, M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, or M.A. in Addiction Counseling programs.
Liberty University’s Online EdD in Traumatology Degree Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online doctorate in traumatology from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- Optional on-campus intensives give you the opportunity to receive hands-on training from experienced counseling professionals.
- By completing an integrated dissertation project, you will demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced counseling theories to real-world problems.
Liberty’s EdD in Community Care and Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review Liberty University’s EdD Degree Completion Plan.
- Download and view the Ed.D. in Community Care and Counseling Handbook for more information on the dissertation process and other aspects of this online trauma therapy and crisis response degree.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides for the doctorate in trauma counseling (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Doctoral Program in Trauma Psychology
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with a Disaster and Developmental Traumatology Doctorate
- Church counselor
- Disaster relief recovery specialist
- Group therapist
- Outpatient care therapist
- Remote mental health coach
- Social worker
- Trauma therapist
- Victim advocate
Please note: Many clinical counseling roles will require individual state licensure.
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Community Care and Counseling EdD Program
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree* with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee**
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*Students without a master’s degree in counseling, human services, or a related area may require additional graduate prerequisite courses.
**There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.