Pursue Your Passion for Travel and Teaching with Liberty’s Teaching English as a Second Language Online Certificate
English is quickly becoming the world’s dominant language in business, education, and society as a whole. More and more people find themselves needing to learn English to thrive in their jobs and everyday lives.
Do you want to help meet the growing need for English as a Second Language (ESL) instructors? If so, Liberty’s online undergraduate Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Certificate can help! Our program is designed to equip you with a theoretical and practical understanding of second language acquisition. You can learn how to help non-native English speakers strengthen their written and oral communication skills.
Prepare to face the challenges of working in cross-cultural and cross-linguistic settings. With this certificate program, you can build on your previous education or work experience and prepare to make a difference in the lives of others.
Working as an ESL teacher can be a rewarding experience. We’re excited to partner with you as you take this important step in your academic journey!
Please note: This is a non-licensure program.
Potential Careers with a Teaching English as a Second Language Certificate
Our Teaching English as a Second Language Certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Community college ESL teacher
- English as a second language instructor (overseas)
- High school ESL teacher
- International missions worker
- Second language curriculum developer
The language and teaching skills that you gain from our TESL certificate can be an asset as a teacher both in the U.S. and abroad. Additionally, the credits you gain in this certificate may transfer directly into the B.S. in Teaching English as a Second Language degree. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a Teaching English as a Second Language Certificate from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Adult Basic and Secondary Education and ESL Teachers, 2020 (viewed online June 22, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s ESL Certificate Online?
Our English teaching certificate is available 100% online. You can complete your coursework from the comfort of your home while still gaining access to the same rigorous training offered in our residential classes. If you are currently living overseas or working full time, then we offer the flexibility you need to achieve your academic goals!
At only 18 credit hours, you can complete Liberty’s online certificate in English as a Second Language in less than 1 year! And, if you later decide to further your education, credits from this certificate can transfer into our online B.S. in Teaching English as a Second Language degree.
At Liberty, we seek to Train Champions for Christ. To fulfill this mission, we offer online courses taught from a biblical perspective. We don’t just train educators — we equip qualified professionals who want to use their skills in service to God and others. It’s about who you are and who you aspire to become. If you want to learn how to integrate ethical principles with industry best practices, Liberty can help!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is TESL?
As an ESL educator, you can help teach English to those who cannot speak, read, or write the language. A TESL career provides valuable opportunities for you to learn about other cultures while serving those who are looking to learn the English language.
As a TESL instructor, you could work in countries where English is the primary language, such as the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Australia. Liberty also provides training that can help you work abroad in non-English-speaking countries!
What can you do with a TESL certificate?
By earning an online TESL certificate, you can train to help speakers of other languages increase their mastery of English. TESL educators can work for a variety of organizations, including public and private schools, language institutes, tutor support services, universities, charities, and government-sponsored programs.
What’s the difference between a TESL certificate and an online TESOL certificate?
There are a few different types of second language acquisition programs. Following are the main purposes of each:
- TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) — TESL programs typically help students teach English to non-native speakers living in English-speaking countries.
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) — TEFL programs are primarily designed to help you teach English overseas.
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) — TESL and TEFL both fall under the TESOL category. TESOL programs are designed to equip you to teach either domestically or abroad.
At Liberty, you can learn how to teach English at home and abroad! With our TESL certificate, you will take courses that cover topics in both TESL and TEFL.
What Will You Learn in Our Teaching English as a Second Language Certificate Online?
In this online TESL certificate program, you will explore core topics in applied grammar, linguistics, and second language acquisition. You’ll also learn how to design various activities and class exercises that can help make language learning fun for your students.
To work as an ESL educator, it’s vital that you understand not only English but also the syntax and phonology of other major languages. That way, you can develop lesson plans that take into account your students’ cultural background and primary language. Liberty can help you get training in these essential skills so you can pursue teaching jobs around the globe.
Before graduating, you will complete an internship under faculty supervision so you can gain practical, hands-on experience. Partner with us and prepare to help English-language learners gain the skills they need to thrive!
- LING 301 – Introduction to Linguistics
- TESL 333 – Modern Grammar
- TESL 373 – Applied Grammar
- TESL 403 – Second Language Acquisition
- TESL 405 – Issues and Practices in TES/FL
- TESL 499 – TES/FL Internship
Highlights of Our Teaching English Certificate Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all online undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our online TESL courses are only 8 weeks long with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- As an online Liberty student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
English Teaching Certificate Online Information
- This certificate falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for our ESL teaching certificate online.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Online ESL Certificate Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Undergraduate Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language
Applicants must have a 1.5 or above cumulative GPA for all accredited colleges previously attended. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.