Share Your Love of the English Language with a Degree in Teaching English as a Second Language
If you’ve ever traveled abroad, you might have noticed English used as the main language for communicating. English is also a dominant language in computer programming and many different fields. Students living outside of the United States who study psychology will also study English to better understand their textbooks. That’s what makes a career in teaching English as a second language (ESL) such an exciting and rewarding experience. Travel abroad and learn about new cultures while you educate other nations about your culture.
Liberty University’s online bachelor’s degree in teaching English as a second language can provide the credentials you need to be more competitive when competing for jobs both here and abroad. In South America, Asia, the Middle East, and Europe you will find many students yearning to learn English as a second language. Throughout this degree, you will learn not only the linguistic skills you need but also how to overcome cultural barriers and reach students struggling to cope with the complexity of the English language.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)?
Liberty University has long-standing relationships with several English teaching ministries and educational organizations across the globe. Our proven track record of strong partnerships will serve you well as you enter the workforce. Learn from an accredited academic institution that has a history of success in teaching English as a second language both locally and abroad.
Liberty’s bachelor’s degree in teaching English as a second language can be completed 100% online. While you study from the comfort of your home or office, you will complete courses that have the same rigor and advanced training as our residential courses. You can gain the knowledge and skills needed to teach English from professors who are grounded in their Christian faith and ready to show you how to integrate biblical principles into your professional life.
What Will You Learn in our Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching English as a Second Language?
As you study the art of teaching English as a second language, you will gain comprehensive knowledge in applied grammar, linguistics, and second language acquisition. ESL teachers are encouraged to understand the syntax and phonology of other major languages of the world. This training will enable you to prepare a curriculum with your student’s language in mind. Understanding how students acquire language can allow you to set both your and the students’ expectations regarding the teaching-learning processes and outcomes.
Throughout this degree, you will learn the intricacies of the English language and how to best utilize the resources available to you to better meet the needs of your students. You will also learn about various activities and class exercises that will help your students to have fun while you are teaching them. Additionally, our internship program can give you the skills, knowledge, and wisdom to be successful and confident in your future career in the classroom.
- LING 301 – Introduction to Linguistics
- TESL 373 – Applied Grammar
- TESL 403 – Second Language Acquisition
- TESL 405 – Issues and Practices in TES/FL
Online Bachelor’s in TESL Degree Information
- This degree falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degrees
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Potential Careers for TESL Degree Graduates
- English instructor for domestic and international language learners
- Second language curriculum developer
- Second language linguistics research
- International missions worker
Admission Requirements for the B.S. in Teaching English as a Second Language
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Online Bachelor’s Degree in TESL Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online B.S. in TESL degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete our online bachelor’s degree in teaching English as a second language in about 3.5 years.