Share Your Knowledge and Love for English with Our Teaching English as a Second Language Degree
If you’ve ever traveled abroad, you might have noticed English is used as one of the main languages for communicating. That’s what makes a career in teaching English as a second language (TESL) such an exciting and rewarding experience. When pursuing a teaching English as a second language major, you open yourself up to a variety of different experiences that allow you to travel abroad and learn about new cultures while you educate other nations about your language.
Liberty University’s online bachelor’s degree in teaching English as a second language can provide the credentials you need to pursue jobs both at home and abroad. Whether you work in South America, Asia, the Middle East, or Europe, you will find many students yearning to learn English as a second language. With a degree in ESL, you will study not only the linguistic skills you need but also methods for overcoming cultural barriers and reaching students who want to grasp the complexity of the English language.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)?
Learn from an accredited academic institution that has a history of success in teaching English as a second language both locally and abroad. Liberty University has long-standing relationships with several English teaching ministries and educational organizations across the globe. Our proven track record of strong partnerships can be greatly beneficial as you enter the workforce. English is a dominant language in business both in America and abroad, so a bachelor’s degree in teaching ESL online is a dynamic degree that can be used in many different contexts. Liberty’s teaching English as a second language online degree is taught by faculty who have years of experience in the field, so you can be confident that you’re receiving a world-class education.
Liberty’s bachelor’s degree in teaching English as a second language can be completed 100% online. While you study from the comfort of your home or office, you will complete courses that have the same rigor and advanced training as Liberty’s residential counterparts. You can gain the knowledge and skills needed to teach English from professors who are grounded in the Christian faith and ready to show you how to integrate biblical principles into your professional life.
What Will You Learn in Our Teaching English Language Bachelor’s Degree?
As you study the art of teaching English as a second language, you can gain comprehensive knowledge in applied grammar, linguistics, and second language acquisition. ESL teachers are encouraged to understand the syntax and phonology of other major languages of the world. At Liberty, we strive to prepare students with these skills so that they can effectively teach the next generation English as a second language. This training can help enable you to prepare a curriculum with your student’s language in mind. Understanding how students acquire language can allow you to carry out effective teaching-learning processes and outcomes.
Throughout this degree, you will study the intricacies of the English language and how to best utilize the resources available to you to better meet the needs of your students. You will also have the opportunity to dive deep into various activities and class exercises that can help your students have fun while you are teaching them. Additionally, your internship can help prepare you with the skills, knowledge, and wisdom to be successful and confident in your future career in the classroom.
- LING 301 – Introduction to Linguistics
- TESL 373 – Applied Grammar
- TESL 403 – Second Language Acquisition
- TESL 405 – Issues and Practices in TES/FL
Bachelor’s in TESL Online Degree Information
- This degree falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our English as a Second Language Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Careers for the Online Bachelor Degree in Teaching English as a Second Language
Your teaching English as a second language degree can help prepare you for countless jobs. An ESL degree online allows you to learn from anywhere so that you can teach everywhere – from Beijing to Port-au-Prince. Not only can you seek a career in teaching English as a second language, but you can also become better prepared to serve those around you through mission work, non-governmental organizations, and the business world. Here are some of the careers you could pursue:
- International missions worker
- Second language curriculum developer
- Second language linguistics researcher
Admission Requirements for Our Degree in Teaching English as a Second Language
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Liberty’s Online English as a Second Language Degree Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online B.S. in TESL degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete our online bachelor’s degree in teaching English as a second language in as little as 3.5 years.