Soar to New Heights with Liberty’s Online Aviation Degree
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Aviation online program focuses on the practical aeronautical decision-making skills you’ll need for a fulfilling career as a commercial, military, or missionary pilot.
Liberty University has the largest flight school in Virginia, so you can be confident you will be studying under professors who possess superior knowledge and experience in the field while pursuing your degree in aviation online. And at Liberty, you’ll not only gain the technical skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the field of aeronautics, but you’ll also learn the following soft skills desired by the aviation industry and mission aviation organizations that will set you apart from your peers:
- Oral and written communication skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Leadership and team building skills
How Can Liberty Offer an Online Aviation Degree?
Liberty University is able to offer a Bachelor of Science in Aviation degree online because each aviation student must either come into the program as a licensed pilot or earn a pilot’s license through one of Liberty University’s approved Flight Training Affiliates (FTAs).
- You can receive college credit for your licenses and certifications through our Experience Plus program.
- If you do not have a pilot’s license, Liberty’s FTAs are conveniently located around the country, giving you the flexibility to complete the necessary flight hours for a pilot’s license without needing to come to our campus in Virginia.
- Liberty University’s School of Aeronautics is the 2018 recipient of the Loening Trophy, one of the rarest and oldest collegiate aviation awards, for being the outstanding all-around collegiate aviation program in the nation.
- See the Aviation Scholarships page to see if you could be eligible for aviation training related benefits!
The flight requirements for earning your aviation degree online can be fulfilled by submitting a copy of your pilot’s license to petition for credit through our Experience Plus program or opting to enroll at one of our Flight Training Affiliate locations.
Why Liberty’s Online Aviation Degree?
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), and our School of Aeronautics has won the Loening Trophy, one of the rarest and oldest collegiate aviation awards for being the outstanding all-around collegiate aviation program in the nation 2 years in a row!
Additionally, the School of Aeronautics has established strong relationships with numerous airlines across the United States. Through this partnership, we have signed hiring agreements with several major airlines for students who complete Liberty University’s aviation program.
Your Liberty education can help you stand out in your field. Our courses integrate a Christian worldview with aviation industry best practices, so we can help instill and develop strong airmanship in our students. Good airmanship encompasses the discipline, leadership skills, and character needed to excel in any aviation profession. You’ll be mentored in these areas as well as educated on the skills and knowledge you need to safely and efficiently operate and maintain air vehicles. You will not only be able to understand the fundamentals of flying, but also gain an understanding of how your aircraft works through this online aviation degree.
Liberty’s exciting online aviation degree seeks to produce quality candidates who are able to exercise expert knowledge in their field. The goal of this pilot degree program is to equip you for complete career preparedness and provide you with the knowledge you need to confidently understand the mechanics of flight and become a successful pilot.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Aviation Degree?
- You will be trained with practical and applicable knowledge in airplane aerodynamics and instrument panel controls.
- You’ll learn the fundamentals of aeronautics, GPS navigation, and aviation safety as well as aviation weather and the workings of turbine engines.
- You will have the ability to train under experienced leaders in the field of aviation.
- You’ll go through a challenging and rewarding curriculum developed by the largest flight school in Virginia while pursuing an online aviation degree.
- You will have the opportunity to participate in the Restricted Airline Transport Pilot (R-ATP) Program.
- By training with respected and experienced leaders in the field of aviation, you’ll not only study flight but also be prepared for flight!
Online Aviation Degree Program Benefits
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- BestColleges.com put Liberty’s programs in the top 5 for their 2019 Best Online Bachelor’s in Aeronautics and Aviation award.
- If you are entering the field of aviation for the first time, you can complete this degree in as little as 3.5 years. If you have experience as a pilot, transfer credit may allow you to complete this program in just 2.5 years.
Aeronautics Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Aeronautics.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Aeronautics Course Guides (login required).
- Flight Training options (additional fees may apply if you do not have a pilot’s license).
- See the Aviation Scholarships page to see if you are eligible for flight training-related scholarships.
- Liberty’s graduates are able to be certified for a Restricted ATP (R-ATP) certificate. Students with the right combination of approved aviation courses and total flight hours may qualify. For more details, please contact Academic Advising at (800) 424-9595.
Online Aviation Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Aeronautics
- Certified flight instructor
- Commercial pilot
- Corporate pilot
- Military pilot
- Missionary pilot
Admission Requirements for the Online Bachelor of Science in Aviation Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- AVRD (Aviation Requirement Form) – Students enrolling in the B.S. in Aviation must confirm an FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate or confirm that all of their flight training courses will be completed at a Liberty University flight training affiliate (FTA). See the flight training affiliate list here.
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.