Soar to New Heights with Liberty’s Online Aviation Degree
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science (BS) in Aviation online program focuses on practical decision-making skills. These skills are essential for a fulfilling career in aeronautics. Whether you seek to become a commercial, military, or missionary pilot, our aviation science degree can help prepare you.
Liberty University has one of the largest flight schools in Virginia. You can be confident you will be studying under professors who possess superior knowledge and experience in the field. Through an aviation bachelor degree, you can gain the knowledge and technical skills needed to succeed in the field of aeronautics. You can also learn the personal skills desired by the aviation industry that can set you apart from your peers:
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Leadership and team-building skills
- Oral and written communication skills
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
How Can Liberty Offer an Online Aviation Degree Program?
Liberty University is an online aviation school that is able to offer a bachelor’s degree in aviation online. Every student must either be a licensed pilot or earn a license with one of our approved Flight Training Affiliates (FTAs).*
- You can potentially receive college credit for your licenses and certifications! Our Experience Plus program assesses your licensure for credit which may apply to your aviation online degree.
- If you do not have a pilot’s license, Liberty conveniently locates their FTAs around the country. You can get the required flight hours for a pilot’s license without coming to our campus in Virginia.
- Liberty University’s School of Aeronautics is the 2017, 2018, and 2019 recipient of the Loening Trophy. The Loening Trophy is a very old and rare award given to the best college aviation program in the country.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The flight requirements for earning your aviation degree online can be fulfilled by submitting a copy of your pilot’s license to petition for credit through our Experience Plus program or opting to enroll at one of our Flight Training Affiliate locations.
*Military benefits from the Veterans Administration for flight courses are only accepted at the following locations at this time. VA benefits can be used for non-flight courses regardless of FTA location.
- Aviation Adventures (Leesburg) – Leesburg, VA
- Aviation Adventures (Manassas) – Manassas, VA
- Aviation Adventures (Stafford) – Fredericksburg, VA
- Aviation Adventures (Warrenton) – Midland, VA
- Aviation Adventures (Winchester) – Winchester, VA
- Heart of Virginia Aviation – Ashland, VA
- Horizon Flight Center – Chesapeake, VA
- Rick Aviation – Newport News, VA
Why Liberty’s Online Aviation Degree?
Additionally, the School of Aeronautics has established strong relationships with numerous airlines across the United States. We have signed partnerships with several major airlines for students who complete Liberty University’s BS in Aviation program.
Your Liberty education can help you stand out in your field. Our courses combine Christian beliefs with aviation industry standards to teach and cultivate excellent flying skills in our students. Good airmanship encompasses the discipline, leadership skills, and character needed to excel in any aviation profession.
In your aviation science degree, you’ll be thoroughly educated so you can safely and efficiently operate and maintain air vehicles. You can build an understanding of the fundamentals of flying and how your aircraft works through this online aviation degree.
Liberty’s exciting online aviation major seeks to produce quality candidates who are able to exercise expert knowledge in their field. The goal of this pilot degree program is to equip you for complete career preparedness. We seek to provide you with the knowledge you need to understand the mechanics of flight and become a successful pilot.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Aviation Degree?
- You will be trained with practical and applicable knowledge in airplane aerodynamics and instrument panel controls.
- You’ll learn the fundamentals of aeronautics, GPS navigation, and aviation safety.
- You’ll study aviation weather and the workings of turbine engines.
- You will have the ability to train under experienced leaders in the field of aviation.
- You’ll go through a challenging and rewarding curriculum in our online aviation degree.
- You may have the opportunity to participate in the Restricted Airline Transport Pilot (R-ATP) Program.
- Learn from aviation leaders, study flight, and become ready to be a pilot!
Online Aviation Degree Program Benefits
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- BestColleges.com put Liberty’s programs in the top 10 for their 2021 Best Online Bachelor’s in Aeronautics and Aviation award.
- If you are entering the field of aviation for the first time, you can complete this degree in as little as 3.5 years. If you have experience as a pilot, transfer credit may allow you to complete this program in just 2.5 years.
Aeronautics Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Aeronautics.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Aeronautics Course Guides (login required).
- Flight Training options (additional fees may apply if you do not have a pilot’s license).
- Liberty’s graduates are able to be certified for a Restricted ATP (R-ATP) certificate. Students with the right combination of approved aviation courses and total flight hours may qualify. For more details, please contact Academic Advising at (800) 424-9595.
Online Aviation Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Aeronautics
- Certified flight instructor
- Commercial pilot
- Corporate pilot
- Military pilot
- Missionary pilot
Admission Requirements for the Online Bachelor of Science in Aviation Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- AVRD (Aviation Requirement Form) – Students enrolling in the B.S. in Aviation must confirm an FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate or confirm that all of their flight training courses will be completed at a Liberty University flight training affiliate (FTA). See the flight training affiliate list here.
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.