Dr. David DeWitt
Chair, Department of Biology & Chemistry
Professor of Biology
Science Hall 248
- Ph.D. in Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Michigan State University
Dr. David A. DeWitt serves as Professor of Biology and Chair of the Department of Biology and Chemistry at Liberty University. Liberty University recognized Dr. DeWitt with the 2000-2001 President’s Award for Teaching Excellence. He is active in teaching and research, focusing primarily on understanding the mechanisms causing cellular damage in Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. DeWitt has received over $180,000 in grant funding for research including a grant from the National Institutes of Health. He has authored and co-authored 16 articles that have appeared in peer-reviewed journals such as Brain Research, Neurotoxicology, Journal of Alzheimer Disease, and Experimental Neurology. He has presented research at both national and international meetings.
Dr. DeWitt has given many presentations on creation-evolution issues, and he is a member of the Society for Neuroscience and the Creation Research Society. He is the author of Unraveling the Origins Controversy, a book that is used at several colleges for courses on the subject of creation/evolution. He served as an adjunct instructor of the Institute for Creation Research as well as an author/writer for Answers in Genesis. His interest in creation has focused on molecular and cell biology as well as human origins.
He is a member of the Society for Neuroscience, the Creation Research Society and served as chair of the biology section of the Virginia Academy of Sciences.
- BIOL 415 Cell Biology
- Unraveling the Origins Controversy (2015), Creation Curriculum
- Shtridelman, Y., Holzwarth, G.M., Bauer, C.T., Gassman, N.R., DeWitt, D.A., and Mocosko, J.C. In vivo Multimotor Force-Velocity Curves by Tracking and Sizing Sub-Diffraction Limited Vesicles. Cellular Molecular Bioengineering 2:190-199. 2009.
- Shtridelman, Y., Cahyuti, T., Townsend, B., DeWitt, D., and Macosko, J.C. Force-Velocity Curves of Motor Proteins Cooperating In Vivo. Cell Biochem Biophys. 52:19-29 2008.
- DeWitt, D.A., Hurd, J.A., Fox, N., Townsend, B.E., Griffioen, K.J., Ghribi, O. and J. Savory. J.Alzheimer’s Dis 9(2):195-205, 2006 (abstract)
- Castellani, R.J. DeWitt, D.A., Perry G., and Smith, M.A. Involvement of complex carbohydrate chemistry in Alzheimer’s disease. Med. Hypotheses Res. 2:393-400 2005.
- Griffioen, K.J.S., Ghribi, O., Fox, N., Savory, J. and DeWitt, D.A. Neurotoxicol 25:859-867, 2004 (abstract)
- Ghribi, O., Herman, M.M., DeWitt, D.A., Forbes, M.S. and J. Savory Mol. Brain Res. 96:30-38, 2001 (abstract)
- Ghribi, O., Herman, M.M., Forbes, M.S., DeWitt, D.A. and J. Savory. Neurobiology of Disease 8:764-773, 2001 (abstract)
- Ghribi, O., DeWitt, D.A., Forbes, M.S., Arad, A., Herman, M.M., and J. Savory J.Alz.Disease 3(4):387-391, 2001
- Ghribi, O., DeWitt, D.A., Forbes, M.S., Herman, M.M., and J. Savory Brain Res. 903: 66-73, 2001
- DeWitt, D.A., Perry, G., Cohen, M., Doller, C., and J. Silver Exp. Neurol. 149:329-340, 1998
- DeWitt, D.A. and J. Silver Exp. Neurol. 142(1):103-110, 1996
- Smith, M.A., DeWitt, D.A., Proprotnik, D., and G. Perry Neurobiol. Aging 16:343-344, 1995
- DeWitt, D.A., Richey, P., Proprotnik, D., Silver, J. and G. Perry Brain Res. 656(1):205-209, 1994
- Perry, G., Richey, P., Siedlak, S.L., Smith, M.A., Mulvihill, P., DeWitt, D.A., Barnett, J., Greenberg, B.D. and R. Kalaria Am. J. Pathol. 143:1586-1593, 1993
- Canning, D.R., McKeon, R.J., DeWitt, D.A., Perry, G., Wujek, J., Fredrickson, R. and J. Silver Exp. Neurol. 124:289-298, 1993
- DeWitt, D.A., Silver, J., Canning, D.R. and G. Perry Exp. Neurol. 121(2):149-152, 1993