Dr. David DeWitt
Professor of Biology
Center for Natural Sciences, Room 221
- Ph.D. in Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Michigan State University
Dr. David A. DeWitt serves as a Professor of Biology.
Liberty University recognized Dr. DeWitt with the 2000-2001 President’s Award for Teaching Excellence. He is active in teaching and research, focusing primarily on understanding the mechanisms causing cellular damage in Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. DeWitt has received over $180,000 in grant funding for research, including a grant from the National Institutes of Health. He has authored and co-authored articles that have appeared in peer-reviewed journals such as Brain Research, Neurotoxicology, Journal of Alzheimer Disease, and Experimental Neurology. He has presented research at both national and international meetings.
Dr. DeWitt served as chair of the Department of Biology & Chemistry from 2010 to 2019 during a period of rapid growth, with the number of students more than doubling. Under his leadership, the department added 9 new undergraduate programs and the first graduate programs for the department, including 2 masters programs and the Doctoral program in Anatomy & Cell Biology.
He assisted in the design and led the transition to the Center for Natural Sciences which doubled the previous laboratory space for the department and allowed for an expansion of research. Dr. DeWitt has returned full time to the classroom and is excited for what is in store for the future.
- BIOL 415 Cell Biology
- BIOL 316 Human Biological Variation
- BIOL 102 Principles of Human Biology
- BIOM 700 Anatomy & Cell Biology Seminar
- Shtridelman, Y., Holzwarth, G.M., Bauer, C.T., Gassman, N.R., DeWitt, D.A., and Mocosko, J.C. In vivo Multimotor Force-Velocity Curves by Tracking and Sizing Sub-Diffraction Limited Vesicles. Cellular Molecular Bioengineering 2:190-199. 2009.
- Shtridelman, Y., Cahyuti, T., Townsend, B., DeWitt, D., and Macosko, J.C. Force-Velocity Curves of Motor Proteins Cooperating In Vivo. Cell Biochem Biophys. 52:19-29 2008.
- DeWitt, D.A., Hurd, J.A., Fox, N., Townsend, B.E., Griffioen, K.J., Ghribi, O. and J. Savory. J.Alzheimer’s Dis 9(2):195-205, 2006 (abstract)
- Castellani, R.J. DeWitt, D.A., Perry G., and Smith, M.A. Involvement of complex carbohydrate chemistry in Alzheimer’s disease. Med. Hypotheses Res. 2:393-400 2005.
- Griffioen, K.J.S., Ghribi, O., Fox, N., Savory, J. and DeWitt, D.A. Neurotoxicol 25:859-867, 2004 (abstract)
- Ghribi, O., Herman, M.M., DeWitt, D.A., Forbes, M.S. and J. Savory Mol. Brain Res. 96:30-38, 2001 (abstract)
- Ghribi, O., Herman, M.M., Forbes, M.S., DeWitt, D.A. and J. Savory. Neurobiology of Disease 8:764-773, 2001 (abstract)
- Ghribi, O., DeWitt, D.A., Forbes, M.S., Arad, A., Herman, M.M., and J. Savory J.Alz.Disease 3(4):387-391, 2001
- Ghribi, O., DeWitt, D.A., Forbes, M.S., Herman, M.M., and J. Savory Brain Res. 903: 66-73, 2001
- DeWitt, D.A., Perry, G., Cohen, M., Doller, C., and J. Silver Exp. Neurol. 149:329-340, 1998
- DeWitt, D.A. and J. Silver Exp. Neurol. 142(1):103-110, 1996
- Smith, M.A., DeWitt, D.A., Proprotnik, D., and G. Perry Neurobiol. Aging 16:343-344, 1995
- DeWitt, D.A., Richey, P., Proprotnik, D., Silver, J. and G. Perry Brain Res. 656(1):205-209, 1994
- Perry, G., Richey, P., Siedlak, S.L., Smith, M.A., Mulvihill, P., DeWitt, D.A., Barnett, J., Greenberg, B.D. and R. Kalaria Am. J. Pathol. 143:1586-1593, 1993
- Canning, D.R., McKeon, R.J., DeWitt, D.A., Perry, G., Wujek, J., Fredrickson, R. and J. Silver Exp. Neurol. 124:289-298, 1993
- DeWitt, D.A., Silver, J., Canning, D.R. and G. Perry Exp. Neurol. 121(2):149-152, 1993