Dr. Alan Gillen
Professor of Biology
Science Hall 105
- Ed.D., University of Houston
- M.S., Ohio State University
- B.A., Washington & Jefferson College
Dr. Gillen spent seven years in graduate study in zoology and medical microbiology at The Ohio State University, The University of Houston, and Baylor College of Medicine. His focus is on integrating creation themes with biology. He has written three books and two lab manuals on various biology topics. His books include The Human Body: An Intelligent Design, Body by Design: Fearfully & Wonderfully Made, and The Genesis of Germs.
His major research interests are detecting water parasites and pathogens in Lynchburg, VA Area Waters, describing the origin and genesis of Giardia, Cryptosporidium and coliform growth in local waters, and the carriage of MRSA in Liberty University students.
Dr. Gillen and his lab students are interested in tracking the incidence of water parasites and pathogens. His interest is determining the factors that influence the growth and abundance of Giardia, Cryptosporidium and coliforms (E. coli – like bacteria) in local waters. Students demonstrate competence in collecting water samples, communicating and documenting laboratory data and field data. Samples are taken from local ponds, lakes, and the James River.
The results of this research could benefit the entire student body by helping educate students regarding good public health and the importance of clean drinking water locally and globally.
- BIOL 203 Introduction to Microbiology
- BIOL 305 Parasitology
- BIOL 400 Biology Seminar
- Gillen, A. L. 2012. Antony van Leeuwenhoek: Creation “Magnified” through His Magnificent Microscopes. Answers In-Depth. (Posted Aug. 15, 2012, Answers in Genesis Website).
- Gillen, A. L. and Sherwin, F. 2013. The Genesis of Malaria. The Origin of Mosquitoes and Their Protistan Cargo, Plasmodium falciparum. (Posted June 19, 2013, Answers in Genesis).
- Gillen, A. L. and Conrad, J. 2014. Our Impressive Immune System: More than a Defense. (Posted January, 15, 2014 Answers In-Depth Article, Answers in Genesis Website).
- Gillen, A. L. 2014. The Wondrous Weaving of the Skin and its Microbiome. Answers in Genesis (Posted July 16, 2014. ) An Answers In-Depth Article, Answers in Genesis Website).
- Gillen, A, Daycock, W. & Serafin, A. 2014. High MRSA Carriage Rate among Nursing Microbiology Students. Advances in Microbiology, 4, 871-877. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/aim.2014.413096
- Gillen, A. L. 2014. The Genesis of Germs: Disease and the Coming Plagues in a Fallen World, 2nd ed. Master Books. Green Forest, AK.
- Gillen, A. L. and Sherwin, F. 2015. The Origin of Fleas and The Genesis of Bubonic Plague.(Posted May 14, 2015, Answers in Genesis).
- Gillen, A. L., Conrad, J. and & Cargill, M. 2015. The Genesis and Emergence of Community Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA): An Example of Evolution in Action? Answers Research Journal 8 (2015): 391–401. October 14, 2015.
- Gillen, A. L. & Walters, R. 2015 Super Staph in the Community: Is It Evolving? Answers in Genesis (October 22, 2015). An Answers In-Depth Article, (Answers in Genesis Website).
- Gillen, A. L. & Cargill, M. 2016. The Signature of God in Medicine and Microbiology. Answers In-Depth Article, (Posted Mar. 16, 2016 AiG Website).
- Gillen, A. L. and Sherwin, F. 2016. The Design of Mosquitoes and its Dangers. (Posted August 11, 2016. An Answers In-Depth Article; Answers in Genesis Website)
- Gillen, A. L. 2017. Staph from First Breath: The Origin of the Nasal Microbiome with the Intricate and Complex Nose. (Posted Jan. 25, 2017 An Answers In-Depth Article; AiG Website).
- Gillen, A. L. and Sherwin, F. 2017. The Design of Giardia and the Genesis of Giardiasis. Answers In-Depth Article, Posted July 19, 2017 on the Answers in Genesis Website.
- McClintock, J. T., Gillen, A., and Price, M. 2017. Microbiology Lab Manual, 2nd edition. Academx. Edgewood, MD.
- Gillen, A. L. 2018. Parasitology Lab Manual, 1st ed. Academx. Edgewood, MD.