Dr. Daniel Howell
Professor of Biology
Center for Natural Sciences, Room 345
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech
- B.S., Old Dominion University
- Biochemistry of Cystic Fibrosis, Duke University Medical Center
- Biochemistry of Cystic Fibrosis, McGill University
Dr. Howell research focuses on the effects of shoes on foot anatomy and the human gait. In 2010, he published a book (The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes) in which he advocates going barefoot more often to improve your health. The book has been translated into several languages and Dr. Howell was featured in a Korean documentary on the benefits of barefoot activities. He has been interviewed by MSNBC, the TODAY Show, Washington Post, Popular Science, Energy Times, Answers magazine, Liberty Journal, and many more print, radio and television outlets. Dr. Howell has been invited to speak on the subject of foot health from Portland, OR to London, UK.
Dr. Howell’s other book, Sometimes Deceived: How Evolutionists Have Led Us Astray, exposes the underlying assumptions and logical fallacies behind the theory of biological evolution. The book first describes empirical science versus historical science, coherent truth versus correspondent truth, and conceptual facts versus objective facts, then provides examples of evolutionists defending their theory using only conceptual facts and coherent truths that support their particular worldview.
- BIOL 213 Human Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIOL 214 Human Anatomy & Physiology I Lab
- BIOL 215 Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIOL 216 Human Anatomy & Physiology II Lab
- BIOL 313 Clinical Human Anatomy
Publications (Books and Book Chapters)
- Sometimes Deceived: How Evolutionists Have Led Us Astray (2017) Blue Ridge Books
- The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes (2010) Hunter House / Turner Publishers.
- Exploring the Body Machine: A Laboratory Manual for Exploring Human Anatomy & Physiology, 4th.
- BIOL 213 lecture guide
- BIOL 215 lecture guide
- Hanrahan, J.W., T. Zhu and L.D. Howell. Regulation of CFTR by Protein Phosphorylation, In: The Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator. (2003) Eds. Kevin L. Kirk and David C. Dawson. Plenum Publishers. ISBN 030-6-47837-4
Publications (Journal Articles)
- Howell, L.D. The transverse arch index: a new method of determining foot arch type from simple footprints. In preparation.
- Howell, L.D. The impact of shoes on the human foot arch. In preparation.
- Chappe, V., D.A. Hinkson, L.D. Howell, A. Evagelidis, J. Liao, X-B Chang, J.R. Riordan, and J.W. Hanrahan. Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci101:390-395, 2004
- Howell, L.D., R. Borchardt, A.M. Kaz, C. Randak and J.A. Cohn. Biochem.J. 378:151-159, 2004
- Derand, R.L., L. Bulteau-Pignoux, Y. Mettey, O. Zegarra-Moran, L.D. Howell, C. Randak, L.J.V. Galietta, J.A. Cohn, C. Norez, L. Romio, J-M. Vierfond, M. Joffre and F. Becq.Am.J.Physiol (Cell Physiol.) 281:C1657-C1666, 2001
- Howell, L.D., R. Borchardt, and J.A. Cohn. Biochem.Biophys.Res.Comm. 271:518-525, 2000
- McCartney, B., L.D. Howell, M. Potts, and P.J. Kennelly. J.Bacteriol 179:2314-2318, 1997
- Howell, L.D., C. Griffiths, L. Slade, M. Potts, and P.J. Kennelly. Biochemistry 35:7566-7572, 1996
- Gordon, A.S., L.D. Howell, and V. Harwood. Can.J.Microbiol. 40:408-411, 1994