Liberty’s residential Master of Theology program will only be available through the Summer 2023 semester. If you are interested in this program for Fall 2023 or later, please see our online Master of Theology.
Extend Your Ministry Reach to the Global Level
Are you looking to take your ministry overseas? Do you feel passionate about cultivating an understanding of biblical engagement across cultures in your local area? Whatever your reason is for extending your theological knowledge into global contexts, we want to partner with you to achieve your goals. If you have already completed a Master of Divinity and do not feel ready to dive into doctoral studies, consider our postgraduate Master of Theology degree in Global Studies!
Our global studies postgraduate courses are designed to be multifaceted. Whether you aspire to become a seminary teacher, senior pastor, or missionary to unreached people groups, you will find invaluable applications from your coursework. Get excited about spreading the Gospel and awareness of complicated theological truths worldwide. With our degree, you’ll receive the advanced studies and preparation in intercultural engagement and communication you need to successfully pursue global missions.
Your divinity degree is approved by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and has met rigorous accreditation standards. You can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Theology Degree?
Completing a Master of Divinity is an incredible accomplishment. Our postgraduate degree can help take your current biblical knowledge to all-new levels. Not only is Liberty’s Master of Theology half the length of our doctoral degrees, but it also provides vital resources, flexibility, and growth opportunities.
Our theology postgraduate students have access to state-of-the-art facilities. Our 17-story Freedom Tower is designed specifically for our divinity students and professors. The tower contains various classrooms, including a 7-projector immersive classroom and a revolutionary homiletics teaching lab. On the first floor, you will find the Scriptorium, which holds over $1 million in rare books and bibles. All of this will be available to you here on campus!
As a divinity student, you also have the option to complete Monday-only classes. We want to give you more time for your studies, family, and career. Some of our courses can even be completed online. When you choose Liberty, you’ll receive flexibility that’s unheard of for a postgraduate degree.
Partner with our School of Divinity to gain all the benefits of studying at the world’s largest accredited school for religious studies and ministerial training. Your degree will mean more to future employers and universities alike. Additionally, we provide a host of internship opportunities with churches and parachurches locally, nationally, and even internationally. Let us help you bring your studies into the professional world.
At Liberty, you’ll find an affordable, high-quality education that equips students like you for the real world. Our commitment to excellence helped us rank among Niche.com’s Top 5 college campuses in America. Earning your degree from a nonprofit university with state-of-the-art resources like ours can help set you apart from your peers.
What Will You Learn in Our Th.M. Degree Program?
Our Master of Theology in Global Studies focuses on providing a global perspective to Christianity. Your courses are designed to help you effectively communicate and engage with people across cultures in your ministry. Your course in Cultural Anthropology, for example, will examine how specific cultures’ development and characteristics impact their worldview.
Within your core theology courses, you will learn to synthesize a personal and biblical systematic theology. You will also examine effective ways to build an argument and defend the Christian faith. These major courses will help you strengthen your understanding of biblical theology and contemporary Christian thought as a whole.
In order to get the most out of your studies, we provide a practicum for our global studies postgraduate students. This is an opportunity for you to get outside of the culture you’re familiar with, so you can put into practice your new communication and engagement skills. You will receive a qualified mentor to help you with this experience, and we allow a certain amount of freedom in where you wish to complete the practicum.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below for more information.
GLST 600 – Cultural Anthropology
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The discipline of cultural anthropology with particular emphasis on studying culture and worldview for the purpose of effective engagement
GLST 620 – History of Global Christianity
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The historic expansion of global Christianity from the first century to the present day
- Cultural contexts, key personalities, and movements that contributed to the spread and identity of global Christianity
GLST 650 – Intercultural Communication and Engagement
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Key issues in the process of effective intercultural communication
- The concept of cultural intelligence and its application in effective intercultural engagement
GLST 698 – Global Studies Practicum
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- This course is a practical, intercultural field experience that crosses ethno-linguistic cultural contexts to be completed under the supervision of a qualified mentor.
- The context, mentor, and nature of service must be approved by the internship coordinator prior to course registration.
- To receive 3 hours credit, students must complete a minimum of 150 contact hours or spend one month living in another cultural context.
Highlights of Our Global Studies Th.M. Degree
- Our John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is the world’s largest accredited school for religious studies and ministerial training.
- Pursue various internship opportunities with churches and parachurches locally, nationally, and globally through Liberty’s extensive professional network.
- Our 17-story School of Divinity Freedom Tower contains various classrooms, including a 7-projector immersive classroom, an interactive classroom that utilizes teleconferencing capabilities, and state-of-the-art homiletics teaching lab.
- Our Freedom Tower’s Scriptorium houses a $1 million collection of rare books and Bibles donated by the Rawlings family.
- Optional Monday-only courses are available for students juggling work, family, studies, and church commitments.
Master of Theology – Global Studies Degree Information
- 30 total credit hours
- Transfer up to 50% of your credits
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity
- View the Degree Completion Plan
- Check out our course catalog
Career Opportunities for Th.M. – Global Studies Graduates
- Associate pastor
- College instructor
- Local/international missionary
- Ministry leader
- Religion professor
- Senior pastor
Admission Requirements for Postgraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and all applicants must submit the following documents and meet the minimum requirements for admission:
- Admission application
- Transcripts showing a completed Master of Divinity degree with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Self-certification form for students in the final term of their Master of Divinity degree
- John W. Rawlings School of Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Current Liberty graduate students seeking preliminary acceptance into a postgraduate program must complete a degree completion application through their ASIST account