Enhance Your Ministry with Liberty’s Master of Theology (Th.M.) in Theology
Liberty University’s online Master of Theology program will equip you to address many of the problematic issues facing modern society from a biblical worldview. Through an advanced study of theology, you will graduate prepared to serve in a myriad of Christian ministries through the development of a strong foundation in Christian thought and theology.
The Master of Theology (Th.M.) is a postgraduate program designed for students who have previously completed a Master of Divinity or equivalent degree. The Master of Theology is a signature seminary degree that enhances the knowledge of rising and experienced ministry leaders alike. The theology area of study provides you with additional knowledge of the doctrine of God and key concepts in ethics and Christian ministry.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Th.M. – Theology Online Degree Program?
Liberty University is one of the largest private, nonprofit universities in the nation and the largest university in Virginia. As a leading online Christian university, Liberty offers the solid, biblical foundation necessary to serve well in a ministry-related role. Our professors are committed to preparing you for a successful career as they teach you from a biblical worldview.
Our Master of Theology is offered completely online, allowing you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Theology Degree?
The Word of God provides truths for understanding and assessing the challenges before us. Beginning with a rigorous interaction with the Old and New Testaments, you will explore the key aspects of mission theology, as well as how it relates to other key themes in theology. Christian leaders today face ethical challenges and questions that could not have been imagined even a few years ago. It is important for ministers in every area of church life to be able to provide accurate, biblically sound, and informative answers on a variety of ethical matters, in their teaching and preaching, and in one-on-one situations.
You will have the opportunity to dig deeper into theology and Christian thought by working to understand ecclesiology and eschatology. We desire to Train Champions for Christ, and we are proud to be a partner with you through a Master of Theology degree as you prepare to lead others in your career.
Master of Theology Featured Courses
Master of Theology (Th.M.) Online Program Highlights
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Theology degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for Master of Theology programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete the Master of Theology degree in as little as 1 year.
- Networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Th.M. Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Master of Theology Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the program are charged at the part-time rate.
Master of Theology Potential Career Options
- Family pastor
Regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity (or M.Div. equivalent) with at least a 3.0 for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.