Our Master of Theology in Homiletics is Your Platform for a Career in Ministry
Liberty University’s Master of Theology in Homiletics is an excellent degree option if you are seeking practical ministry experience. Through advanced study in our homiletics courses, you can learn a variety of teaching styles and determine how you can be most effective in your position. Our homiletics courses can help equip you with the necessary skills to effectively preach evangelistic sermons from both the Old and New Testaments.
Our Master of Theology in Homiletics is a postgraduate program designed for students who have completed a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) or equivalent degree. Pastors or ministry professionals will benefit from the wide recognition of our Master of Theology (Th.M.) and the rigorous academics involved in this online degree program offered by our seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Theology in Homiletics?
Liberty University offers the foundational Bible training necessary to serve well in a ministry-related role. Our professors are committed to preparing you for a successful career as they teach you from a biblical worldview. Our Master of Theology in Homiletics is offered entirely online, allowing you to remain active in your job, family, and community without the worry of having to take courses on campus.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Theology – Homiletics Degree Online?
The Master of Theology (Th.M.) degree program provides additional training beyond the Master of Divinity degree in preparation for full-time Christian service. With a focus on homiletics, you can learn to craft sermons that connect with any listener through a study of interpretation, sermon outlines, and the preaching of expository sermons. In just one semester, you will be prepared to preach in settings like weddings, funerals, holiday services, and other unique events that occur in the local church to meet the needs of your church family and community. Our courses are designed to help you speak with confidence and clarity as you lead your congregation in sermons and teaching.
- HOMI 605 — Expository Preaching
- HOMI 612 — Evangelistic Preaching
- HOMI 635 — Preaching for Special Occasions
- HOMI 670 — Preaching from the Old Testament
Master of Theology in Homiletics Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Th.M. in Homiletics degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our Master of Theology programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete our Master of Theology (Th.M.) in Homiletics degree in as little as 1 year.
- You’ll have networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Master of Theology in Homiletics Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Master of Theology (Th.M.) Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester — only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the Th.M. in Homiletics are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Master of Theology Degree in Homiletics
Liberty University’s online Master of Theology in Homiletics program can prepare you for a career in ministry. Courses provide intensive study in techniques of expository and evangelistic preaching, sermon preparation, and methods of evangelizing from the Old and New Testaments. You will strengthen your knowledge of scripture and graduate ready to share God’s Word in a myriad of settings and in a variety of ways.
Here are some of the career options that may be available to you upon graduation:
- Bible instructor
- Family pastor
A regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity (or M.Div. equivalent) with at least a 3.0 is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity questionnaire
- Official college transcripts
- Pastoral recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.