Our Master of Theology in Homiletics is Your Platform for a Career in Ministry
Liberty University’s Master of Theology in Homiletics is an excellent degree option if you are seeking practical ministry experience. Through advanced study in our homiletics courses, you will learn a variety of teaching styles and determine how you can be most effective in your position. Our homiletics courses will equip you with the necessary skills to effectively preach evangelistic sermons from both the Old and New Testaments.
Our Master of Theology in Homiletics is a signature postgraduate program designed for students who have completed a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) or equivalent degree. Pastors or ministry professionals will benefit from the wide-recognition of our Master of Theology (ThM) and the rigorous academics involved in this online degree program offered by our seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Theology in Homiletics?
Liberty University offers the solid, foundational Bible training necessary to serve well in a ministry-related role. Our professors are committed to preparing you for a successful career as they teach you from a biblical worldview. Our Master of Theology in Homiletics is also offered as a thesis track program for students seeking the opportunity to propose, execute, and defend a research project. Both the thesis and non-thesis track theology degrees are offered with our homiletics courses entirely online, allowing you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Theology – Homiletics Degree Online?
The Master of Theology (ThM) degree program will provide additional training beyond the Master of Divinity degree in preparation for full-time Christian service. With a focus on homiletics, you will learn to craft sermons that connect rhetorically with any listener through a study of interpretation, sermon outlines, and the preaching of expository sermons. In just one semester, you will be prepared to preach in settings like weddings, funerals, holiday services, and other unique events that occur in the local church to meet the needs of your church family. Our courses are designed to help you speak with confidence and clarity as you lead your church family in sermons and teaching.
Master of Theology – Homiletics Program Highlights
- By earning your Master of Theology – Homiletics from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our Master of Theology programs has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our Master of Theology (ThM) in Homiletics degree in less than two years.
- Networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
Master of Theology – Homiletics Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the graduate course syllabi. (login required)
Master of Theology (ThM) Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour).
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Th.M. in Homiletics are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Master of Theology Degree in Homiletics
Liberty University’s online Master of Theology in Homiletics program will prepare you for a career in the ministry. Courses provide intensive study in techniques of expository and evangelistic preaching, sermon preparation, and methods of evangelizing from the Old and New Testaments. You will strengthen your knowledge of scripture and graduate ready to share God’s Word in a myriad of settings in a variety of ways. Here are some of the career options that may be available to you upon graduation:
- Bible Instructor
- Family Pastor
Regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity (or MDiv equivalent) with at least a 3.0 for admission in good standing. Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be considered for admission on caution.
Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.