Liberty University’s Master of Theology in Church History Will Help You Use the Past to Impact Your Future in Ministry
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Theology (Th.M.) in Church History degree will help you become more effective in your discipleship ministries by building a foundational knowledge rooted in the history of the Christian church. After engaging in courses focused on the historical development of Christian theology, classical reformation, global Christianity, and American Christianity, you will gain a new level of expertise to use in your career. This program is often pursued by Christian educators, lay ministry leaders, and missionaries who are looking to expand their knowledge of the history of the church following the completion of a Master of Divinity or its equivalent.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity provides Th.M. students with professors who have an abundance of experience in the field. As a student, you will gain a solid, biblically-based education from our renowned faculty who bring a firm commitment to conservative evangelical theology to the classroom. While obtaining your Master in Theology degree, you can also build a strong network of like-minded individuals by collaborating with educators and fellow students.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Master of Theology Degree in Church History Online?
As a student in Liberty University’s Master of Theology in Church History program, you will have access to a variety of resources to further your knowledge and skills. Our professors are committed to preparing you for a successful career as they teach you from a biblical worldview and provide you with the tools and knowledge necessary to serve well in a ministry-related role.
Our Master of Theology in Church History degree is offered 100% online which allows you to gain a quality education and still be involved with your family, in your job, and in your community. Our program also offers optional intensives for students who would like a residential learning opportunity.
Additionally, Liberty is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), meaning your degree will be well-respected by organizations and employers across the nation.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Theology in Church History Degree?
Your Th.M. courses will be filled with challenging, quality content that will leave you feeling more prepared and confident for your ministry. Our classes can give you a deeper understanding of Christianity’s doctrine and how to confront contemporary doctrinal issues commonly seen today. You will gain a level of expertise in understanding the history of evangelicalism and how it molded the Church today.
Additionally, you will gain a global perspective of the Church when looking into cultural contexts, key personalities, and movements that contributed to the spread and identity of global Christianity. After completing your theology degree, you will be prepared to make an impact in your community through deep biblical teaching and a thorough understanding of the Church’s history.
Our Th.M. degree in church history will give you a new range of skills and knowledge as you work to further the Great Commission. By engaging in our theology degree online, you will be able to make a bigger impact than ever before.
- CHHI 610 – Historical Development of Christian Theology
- CHHI 620 – History of Global Christianity
- CHHI 660 – American Christianity
- CHHI 670 – History of Evangelicalism
Master of Theology – Church History Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Th.M. degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for Liberty University’s Master of Theology degree has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our Master of Theology in Church History in just 4 semesters.
Degree Information for our Master of Theology in Church History Program
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- This degree requires a Master of Divinity (or equivalent) for admission.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the program are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Th.M. in Church History
- Bible instructor
- Teaching pastor
A regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity (or M.Div. equivalent) with at least a 3.0 is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.