Liberty University’s Master of Theology in Church History Can Help You Use the Past to Impact Your Future in Ministry
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Theology (ThM) in Church History degree can help you become more effective in your discipleship ministries by building a foundational knowledge rooted in the history of the Christian church. By engaging in courses focused on the historical development of Christian theology, classical Reformation, global Christianity, and American Christianity, you can gain a new level of expertise to use in your career. This program is often pursued by Christian educators, lay ministry leaders, and missionaries who are looking to expand their knowledge of the history of the Church following the completion of a Master of Divinity or its equivalent.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity provides ThM students with professors who have an abundance of experience in the field. As a student, you will gain a solid, biblically based education from our renowned faculty who bring a firm commitment to conservative evangelical theology to the classroom. While obtaining your Master of Theology degree, you can also build a strong network of like-minded individuals by collaborating with educators and fellow students.
Whether you want to conduct scholarly research, further your career in Christian service, or complete a degree program at the doctoral level, Liberty’s ThM in Church History degree online can help you pursue your passion and calling as you deepen your understanding of the Christian faith. You can learn about important foundations and historical movements within the Christian church and gain a valuable credential that can help you explore new employment opportunities. Partner with us and learn how to address challenges in the Church today by drawing on lessons from the past.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Master of Theology Degree in Church History Online?
As a student in Liberty University’s Master of Theology in Church History program, you will have access to a variety of resources to help further your knowledge and skills. Our professors are committed to preparing you for a successful career as they teach you from a biblical worldview and help provide you with the tools and knowledge necessary to serve well in a ministry-related role.
Our Master of Theology in Church History degree is offered 100% online, which allows you to gain a quality education and still be involved with your family, in your job, and in your community.
Additionally, Liberty is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), meaning your degree will be well-respected by organizations and employers across the nation.
Benefits of Pursuing Your Online Master of Theology at Liberty University:
- Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students in the ThM program.
- Students attending full time (7-15 credit hours) are eligible for our online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses** at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Unlike many online Bible colleges or seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Our church history and theology degree online is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).
- Our professors have years of experience in the field and are available to mentor and pray for you as you pursue your historical theology degree.
*Credits taken below 7 and above 15 credit hours for the Master of Theology online are charged at the part-time rate.
**Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for pastoral counseling (PACO) courses, which fall under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
What can you do with a Master of Theology in Church History online?
This Christian religious history degree can help you pursue a variety of roles in academia, nonprofit organizations, parachurch settings, and church leadership. It can also help prepare you for a doctoral divinity program, such as the Doctor of Ministry (DMin). Our Master of Theology degree provides quality training that can help you thrive in the following roles:
- College or seminary professor
- Ministry worker
- Nonprofit worker
- Pastoral counselor
What is the difference between a Master of Divinity and a Master of Theology in Church History?
The Master of Divinity (MDiv) is a graduate-level program designed to help you pursue various roles in ministry, particularly if you want to become an ordained pastor. At 75 credit hours, Liberty’s Master of Divinity offers a rigorous curriculum that can help you gain in-depth knowledge of the Greek and Hebrew languages, discipleship, apologetics, evangelism, and other related disciplines.
In contrast, the Master of Theology (ThM) is a postgraduate program, which means it’s designed to be completed after you’ve earned a master’s degree. Our ThM in Church History is a step above a master’s degree and a step below a doctorate.
If you already hold an MDiv (or an equivalent degree), Liberty’s Master of Theology in Church History degree program provides additional training beyond the master’s level to help you further hone your research and ministry skills. At just 30 credit hours, our Christian history degree online can help you gain specialized knowledge and pursue your goals.
How long does a Master of Theology in Church History degree online take to complete?
You can finish this church history online degree program in just 1 year. With our church history courses online, you can complete your assignments from the comfort of your home or office. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Theology in Church History Degree?
Your ThM courses will be filled with challenging, quality content that can help you feel more prepared and confident for your ministry. Our classes can give you a deeper understanding of Christian doctrine and how to confront contemporary doctrinal issues commonly seen today. You can gain a level of expertise in understanding the history of evangelicalism and how it molded the Church today.
Additionally, you will gain a global perspective of the Church when looking into cultural contexts, key personalities, and movements that contributed to the spread and identity of global Christianity. After completing your theology degree, you can be better prepared to make an impact in your community through deep biblical teaching and a thorough understanding of the Church’s history.
Our ThM degree in church history can help give you a new range of skills and knowledge as you work to further the Great Commission. By engaging in our theology degree online, you can become equipped to make a bigger impact than ever before.
- CHHI 610 – Historical Development of Christian Theology
- CHHI 620 – History of Global Christianity
- CHHI 660 – American Christianity
- CHHI 670 – History of Evangelicalism
Master of Theology in Church History Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online ThM degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for Liberty University’s Master of Theology degree has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete our Master of Theology in Church History in just 1 year.
- Our professors have years of ministry experience and are committed to Training Champions for Christ.
- An important benefit of studying church history is that you can draw on lessons from the past to help strengthen your ministry and personal walk with God — allowing you to make a difference in the Church today.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for pastoral counseling (PACO) courses, which fall under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
Degree Information for Our Master of Theology in Church History Program
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for the ThM in Church History online.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the ThM in Church History Degree Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 7 and above 15 credit hours for the program are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a ThM in Church History
- Bible instructor
- Ministry worker
- Teaching pastor
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s ThM in Church History Degree Online
A regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity (or MDiv equivalent) with at least a 3.0 GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.