Take Your Creativity to the Next Level with an Online Graphic Design Degree (BFA)
Visual communication is becoming more and more interactive, and the need for graphic designers to achieve the goals and needs of corporate businesses as well as with small business and entrepreneurs continues to grow. Liberty University’s bachelor’s degree in graphic design is a 100% online program that can provide you with an overview of art history as well as exposure to hands-on learning focused on digital art. Students enrolled in online graphic design courses will be equipped with the tools and skills to enter the professional workforce in a craft that requires passion and talent. Additional training includes creative problem solving using the latest technological advances and courses in vector illustration, advanced typology, and 20th – 21st-century art.
Why Choose Liberty’s Graphic Design Online Degree?
Liberty University’s online graphic design courses are constructed to train students in 2D and 3D design, publication design, digital photography, and many more exciting areas of graphic design. Students will also gain foundational knowledge in interactive designing and professional practices. This graphic design online degree is meant to prepare students to serve as valuable assets to future companies.
Liberty’s graphic design online degree program requires students to complete a 180-hour internship under the supervision of a professional working in the field of graphic design. Graphic design internships are the best way to bridge the gap between earning a college degree and finding a job.
Additionally, your hands-on training can help provide valuable on the job experience, giving you relevant training to assist in your career decisions. Graphic design online degree students are required to complete a one-credit hour practicum totaling 30 hours. The supervisor of this practicum must possess a degree in graphic design or have three to five years of documented experience in that area. The graphic design online student will create a portfolio of work during the 30-hour practicum that will be presented as a final project at the end of the degree program. The experience gained through this practicum is crucial to getting real-world experience and understanding of graphic design opportunities within the career field.
What Will You Learn in Our Graphic Design Online Degree?
Our online graphic design degree will take you on a fascinating exploration of color, design, and images. Understanding these core elements is critical to communicating effectively with the world. Liberty’s hands-on approach to learning can greatly benefit you as dig deep into advanced design training and cutting-edge software programs. Through an in-depth study of the history of art, you will learn to analyze works of art to build a solid foundation for the modern skills needed in the graphic design field. When you build a strong understanding of art history, you can better grasp the critical elements of design such as typography, design principles, page layout, and image manipulation.
Our online graphic design program is designed to challenge and equip you with the knowledge and in-demand skills needed to thrive in this fast-paced industry. Whether your goal is to work in communications, design, or publishing, Liberty’s Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design can help you become proficient in the latest technology advances that employers are seeking.
Featured Online Graphic Design Courses
- ARTS 201 – History of Art I
- ARTS 222 – Introduction to Graphic Design
- ARTS 342 – Digital Imaging
- ARTS 352 – Graphic Design I
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design Online Program Format and Information
- 180-hour internship requirement
- 30-hour practicum requirement
- This program falls under the School of Visual and Performing Arts.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Visual and Performing Arts Course Syllabi. (login required)
Graphic Design Online Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 for undergraduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
- Potential college credit for military training.
Potential Career Options with a Graphic Design Online Degree
- Art Director
- Copy Editor
- Publication Editor
- Web Developer
- Multimedia Artist and Animator
Highlights of Liberty’s Graphic Design Online Degree
Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past four years ̶ and counting.
To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- By earning your graphic design degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Students will experience a challenging and rewarding curriculum through graphic design online courses and have access to Adobe Creative Cloud products like Photoshop and InDesign.
- The portfolio project in this degree will become an invaluable promotional tool to help you secure a job in the graphic design industry.
- Students who graduate with on the job training are better able to market themselves, land interviews, and receive job offers.
- Developing a professional network is also a positive outcome of earning a graphic design online degree. By connecting with peers, alumni, and your instructors, you have a broad network of design professionals who can support and guide you.
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission on good standing. If the GPA is less than a 2.0, the applicant will be considered for acceptance on caution.
Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts can be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English Proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.