Complete Our Online DNP Program and Perform at the Highest Level of Nursing Practice!
Liberty University’s online Doctor of Nursing Practice degree will take you to the highest level of nursing practice in the family nursing discipline. You will be trained in the advanced skills necessary to work autonomously or in collaboration with other healthcare professionals to provide family-focused care. As a family nurse practitioner, you can provide continuing and comprehensive healthcare across all ages by applying evidence-based clinical care to families, while promoting the synthesis of academic knowledge with ethically sound nursing practice.
*At this time, our DNP in Family Nurse Practitioner degree is unable to accept students outside of Maryland, Tennessee, and Virginia.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree?
Our Online DNP – FNP program is an industry leader in nursing practice programs, taught by nursing professionals with real-world experience. As a nursing professional in the online DNP – Family Nurse Practitioner program, you will build on your knowledge of clinical prevention, population health, and policy through the application of evidence and collaboration with stakeholders and professionals, setting you apart from your peers. If you have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and nursing experience, you can take your practice to the highest level with Liberty’s online Doctor of Nursing Practice – Family Nurse Practitioner!
What Will You Learn in Our DNP – Family Nurse Practitioner Online Degree Program?
Liberty University’s online DNP – FNP degree is based on the curriculum guidelines set forth by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) ‘Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice’ and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Throughout the program, you will apply theory, clinical, and administrative knowledge, as well as best practices and policy, to design and implement inter-collaborative innovative solutions to improve healthcare.
An optional Nurse Educator elective series is available, designed to include the National League of Nursing (NLN) nurse educator curriculum requirements. Those interested in teaching are strongly encouraged to enroll in this elective series; please see the NLN website for nurse educator certification requirements.
Nursing Practice Degree Featured Courses
- NURS 716 – Applications of Evidence-Based Care
- NURS 718 – Informatics, Technology, and Trends for Transforming Healthcare
- NURS 832 – Clinical Prevention and Biostatistics
Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration
- NURS 733 – Women’s Health
- NURS 734 – Family Nursing I: Acute Health
- NURS 735 – Infants & Children’s Health
- NURS 737 – Family Nursing II: Chronic Health
Family Nurse Practitioner Program Highlights
- By earning your DNP FNP online degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 4 years – and counting.
- The Doctor of Nursing Practice program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and is approved by the Virginia State Council of Higher Education.
- Enter this doctoral program with either a Bachelor of Science in Nursing or a Master of Science in Nursing! If you have the practical nursing experience and have either of these degrees, you can apply to the online DNP – Family Nurse Practitioner program!
Online Doctor of Nursing Practice – FNP Degree Information
- This DNP program falls under the School of Nursing.
- Download the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the graduate Course Syllabi (login required).
Note: Currently, the DNP program is accepting applicants who are advanced practice nurses or nurse leaders.
- Advanced practice nurses will need to submit a current and active APRN license and professional certification.
- Nurse leaders are not required to provide license/certification. However, certification is preferred.
Additional DNP Program Information
Liberty University Online State Approval Disclosure
This program meets the new licensure requirements for Family Nurse Practitioner or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner licensure exams. As each State Board of Nursing potentially has other requirements for those practicing in their individual states, this program/degree has not been approved outside of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Non-Virginia residents are not allowed to enroll in this program.
Enrollment in one of Liberty University’s licensure programs does not guarantee a degree from Liberty or qualification for licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. Further information regarding these academic and professional requirements are outlined on this program page and on the full admission page linked on the Admission Requirements tab. Students enrolled in a licensure program are responsible for knowing the material outlined for their program. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not the institution, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state Board of Nursing.
Licensure requirements for any state are subject to change without notice. Liberty University is not responsible for knowing when changes occur. Additionally, there might be other states with unique licensure requirements. Please reference our State Requirements for NP and APRN Licensure page for further information.
Students must hold a current and active RN license within the United States.
For Advising, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential Career Options with a Doctoral Family Nurse Practitioner Degree
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Administrator
- Clinical Researcher
- Healthcare Management
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Liberty University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
For questions about the accreditation of Liberty University, please contact:
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Ln.
Decatur, GA 30033-4097
Inquiries about the institution itself, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Liberty University.
Admission Requirements for Our Online DNP – FNP Degree Program
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Master of Science in Nursing with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
*At this time, our online DNP – Family Nurse Practitioner degree program is unable to accept students outside of Maryland, Tennessee, and Virginia.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Current and active RN license issued in Maryland, Tennessee, or Virginia.
- Official college transcripts showing CCNE or ACEN approved BSN or MSN degree
- Documentation of APRN License and associated professional certification (if applicable)
- Clinical Education Prerequisites
- Academic, Professional, and Personal Recommender Contact Information
- Consent to Contact Form (Part of the writing sample)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample
- American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED
- Proof of English proficiency
Must have bachelors-level or graduate-level courses in three areas: health assessment across the lifespan, pathophysiology, and pharmacology. Students who do not meet this requirement may be granted admission to the program, but must complete the prerequisite before the necessary doctoral course(s). Refer to your individual program Degree Completion Plan (DCP).
For Advising, please contact email@example.com.
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Doctoral Nursing Information and Q&A Webinar
Below is an archived recording of the Doctoral Nursing informational webinar. Please note that this webinar covers all nursing doctoral programs – if you have further questions about a specific program, please Request Information.