Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Admission Requirements
These requirements also apply to the Executive Certificate in Clinical Leadership.
At this time, our DNP degree is limited in certain states. Please view the licensure/certification requirements for your state. International students can contact the School of Nursing related to their degree interest.
Enrollment in one of Liberty University’s licensure programs does not guarantee a degree from Liberty or qualification for licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. Further information regarding these academic and professional requirements are outlined on the program page and here on the admission requirements page. Students enrolled in a licensure program are responsible for knowing the material outlined for their program. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not Liberty University, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state Board of Nursing.
Licensure requirements for any state are subject to change without notice. Liberty University is not responsible for knowing when changes occur. Additionally, there might be other states with unique licensure requirements. Please reference our State Requirements for NP and APRN Licensure page for further information.
- Apply online or call an admissions counselor at (800) 424-9596.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable $50 application fee will be posted on the current application upon enrollment (waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required).
- Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copies or via a direct electronic transcript system). Admission requires that you have transcripts showing a regionally or nationally accredited MSN degree accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). A master’s degree in nursing with at least a 3.0 GPA is required for admission in good standing.
- Admission to this program requires the following additional items to be sent in:
- Current and active RN license issued in one of the fifty United States. (If a past sanction or disciplinary action exists on a professional license, the applicant may be contacted by the Nursing Admissions Review Committee for further explanation.)
If applicable: Advanced practice nurses will need to submit a current and active APRN license and professional certification. Nurse leaders are not required to provide a license/certification (if applicable). (If a past sanction or disciplinary action exists on a professional license, the applicant may be contacted by the Nursing Admissions Review Committee for further explanation.)
If applicable: Clinical APRN Education: Advanced practice nurses must demonstrate required advanced practice core courses. Graduate transcripts must reflect that the applicants have successfully passed a graduate-level health assessment, graduate-level pathophysiology, and a graduate-level pharmacology.
Answer the following prompts using APA rules of grammar. First person is permitted; APA formatting (i.e. title page, headers) is not needed. Return the completed writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part I: In 1,000 words or fewer, please describe your professional nursing career. In addition, please include how you incorporate your worldview in your current profession.
Part II: Please describe your vision for your scholarly project and post-doctoral practice in 1,000 words or fewer.
- Please also provide the following:
- Name of present or most recent employment and position
- Length of Employment (Indicate in MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/YY. If still employed, write ‘current’ as the end date)
American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED.
Applicants whose native language is other than English must submit official scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an approved alternative assessment. For information on alternative assessments or TOEFL waivers, please call Admissions or view the official International Admissions policy.
If you are sending in a preliminary transcript for acceptance, you must:
- Be in your final term and planning to start your doctoral degree after the last day of class for your master’s degree.
- Submit a transcript to confirm that you are in your final term.
- Send in an additional, final official transcript with a conferral date on it by the end of your first semester of enrollment.
Supplemental Acceptance Steps
If an acceptance offer is extended to an applicant, there will be additional application steps needed before attending courses. Included in these steps is the purchase of a standardized background check and submission of immunization records. More information will be provided to selected applicants.
Official College Transcript Policy
An acceptable official college transcript must be issued directly from the institution in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must meet the same requirements.
CCNE Accreditation for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the postgraduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
Liberty University is approved by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees. The Online Nursing Program (Doctor of Nursing Practice) is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and is approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing.
For questions about the accreditation of Liberty University, please contact:
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Ln.
Decatur, GA 30033-4097
Inquiries about the institution itself, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Liberty University.