Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Admission Requirements
Washington State Applicants – Washington students are currently unable to complete their practicum within the state, but can complete them in neighboring states. Please contact the School of Nursing for more information.
Enrollment in one of Liberty University’s School licensure programs does not guarantee a degree from Liberty or qualification for licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. Further information regarding these academic and professional requirements are outlined on the Liberty University website. Students enrolled in a licensure program are responsible for knowing the material outlined for their program. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not the program, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state Board of Nursing.
Licensure requirements for any state are subject to change without notice. Liberty University is not responsible for knowing when changes occur. Additionally, there might be other states with unique licensure requirements. Please reference our State Requirements for NP and APRN Licensure page for further information.
- Apply online or call an Admissions Counselor at (800) 424-9596.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable $50 application fee will be posted on the current application upon enrollment (waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required).
- Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy). Requires regionally or nationally accredited transcripts for all post-secondary schools and must be a graduate of a CCNE or ACEN approved institution for your nursing degree. A master’s degree in nursing with at least a 3.0 GPA is required for admission in good standing.
- Admission to this program requires the following items to be sent in:
- Current and active RN license issued in one of the fifty United States. (If a past sanction or disciplinary action exists on a professional license, the applicant may be contacted by the Nursing Admissions Review Committee for further explanation.)
(If applicable) Advanced practice nurses will need to submit a current and active APRN license and professional certification. Nurse leaders are not required to provide license/certification (if applicable). (If a past sanction or disciplinary action exists on a professional license, the applicant may be contacted by the Nursing Admissions Review Committee for further explanation.)
If applicable: Clinical APRN Education: Advanced practice nurses are required to have the advanced practice core. Graduate transcripts must reflect that the applicants have successfully passed a graduate level health assessment, graduate level pathophysiology, and a graduate level pharmacology.
American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED.
Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or an approved alternate test of English proficiency: International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP). Applicants must earn a score of 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, a 3.9 on the iTEP, a 6.5 on the IELTS, or an equivalent score on an approved alternate test for all graduate degree programs. Applicants who have an earned degree from a college or university in the U.S. or other English-speaking country or school may have the TOEFL requirement waived by the Office of Graduate Admissions. Alternatively, applicants who complete the levels of English-Second-Language (ESL) instruction indicated below at one of two schools will have the TOEFL requirement waived. Students will have their application held until transcripts from one of the below schools are received.
Note: Currently, the DNP program is accepting applicants who are advanced practice nurses or nurse leaders.
- Advanced practice nurses will need to submit a current and active APRN license and professional certification.
- Nurse leaders are not required to provide license/certification. However, certification is preferred.
If you are sending in a preliminary transcript for acceptance, you must:
- Be in your final term and planning to start your doctoral degree after the last day of class for your master’s degree.
- Submit a transcript to confirm that you are in your final term.
- Send in an additional, final official transcript with a conferral date on it by the end of your first semester of enrollment.
Supplemental Acceptance Steps
If an acceptance offer is extended to an applicant, there will be additional application steps needed before attending courses. Included in these steps is the purchase of a standardized background check and submission of immunization records. More information will be provided to selected applicants.
Official College Transcript Policy
An acceptable official college transcript must be issued directly from the institution in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must meet the same requirements.
CCNE Accreditation for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Liberty University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
Liberty University is approved by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees. The Online Nursing Program (Doctor of Nursing Practice) is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and is approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing.
For questions about the accreditation of Liberty University, please contact:
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Ln.
Decatur, GA 30033-4097
Inquiries about the institution itself, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Liberty University.
Back to Doctor of Nursing Practice page.