Advance the Nursing Profession with our Ph.D. in Nursing Education
Are you interested in influencing the field of nursing and taking the discipline even further? Nurses who are prepared with a Ph.D. are needed to steward the discipline and educate the next generation of nurses. Prepare to conduct original research, generate new ideas, design, implement, and communicate findings to lay audience programs for nurses — including formal academic programs that lead to a degree — with Liberty’s Ph.D. in Nursing – Nursing Education degree.
Our doctorate in nursing education is a great credential to have to advance or alter your career path. It can provide both the knowledge and research experience you’ll need to become a faculty member at a university or educator in a medical facility. You can become a professor of nursing or pursue other educational opportunities within healthcare — or go into hospital administration, health policy advocacy, or nursing research.
Nursing education is a growing field that needs educators who are passionate about patient advocacy and the advancement of excellent healthcare policies and processes. Apply your current experience to your studies and gain the knowledge you need to lead in advancing the nursing profession with a Ph.D. in Nursing.
Why Choose Liberty’s Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree?
By choosing Liberty to pursue your doctoral degree, you’re choosing a university that is accredited, Christ-centered, and flexible with course scheduling. When you choose any of our online degree programs, you’re choosing excellence that is grounded in integrity.
Liberty University is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means all of our degree programs have met certain academic standards and requirements and are recognized and respected among the academic community and potential employers. You can be confident that you’ll be earning a challenging and worthwhile degree.
We understand that you may have family, career, and community obligations — so our program is designed to work around your busy life and schedule. You can complete your doctorate in nursing 100% online, in a flexible 8-week course format. Optional synchronous online sessions are delivered most weeks of the semester to allow students to maximize their engagement with faculty, classmates, and the program.
At Liberty, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. All of our programs are taught by Christian faculty who are not only nationally recognized educational leaders but also professors committed to your personal and professional success.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree?
In this program, you’ll learn to design and lead effective nursing education programs for the next generation of medical professionals. Your coursework will help you become a confident leader, equipped to implement change and improvements to nursing education. Through multi-disciplinary courses and interactions with your professors, you will develop the skills you need to lead and collaborate with healthcare teams and create positive change.
Upon successful completion of our program, you’ll be able to:
- Synthesize the philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of nursing in the practice of research.
- Contribute to the science of nursing by creating original research and scholarship.
- Apply ethical decision-making and values to the nursing profession based upon a biblical worldview.
- Advocate for policies and programs that improve health outcomes for individuals and communities.
- Act as a professional nursing leader, role model, and mentor for those who wish to pursue advancement in nursing.
- Educate the next generation of nurse scholars to add to the global community of nursing professionals.
- NURS 764 – Learning Theories and Teaching Methods for Nurse Educators*
- NURS 765 – Curriculum Development and Program Evaluation for Nurse Educators*
- NURS 766 – Advanced Evaluation Strategies for Nurse Educators*
*Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online nursing degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years — and counting.
- Our nursing faculty are nationally recognized educational leaders.
With the growing demand for nurses, nurse educators are also in demand at all levels, and with a doctorate in nursing, you may find many employment doors opening.
Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Nursing.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Nursing Course Guides. (login required)
- Review the Ph.D. in Nursing Student Handbook. (login required)
Career Opportunities for Ph.D. in Nursing Education Graduates
- Health policy advocate
- Hospital administrator
- Nurse scientist
- Nursing professor/faculty member
- Nursing researcher
Admission Requirements for our Ph.D. in Nursing – Nursing Education
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts showing successful completion of a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree
- Contact information for 1 recommender
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of English proficiency
Doctoral Nursing Education students must also meet the following requirements:
- Registered Nurse licensure verification will be conducted annually until the curriculum for the online Ph.D. in Nursing – Nursing Education is completed. You, as the student, are responsible to notify the School of Nursing should any restrictions be placed on your license.
- One year minimum experience as a Registered Nurse (RN).
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.