Advance the Nursing Profession with our Ph.D. in Nursing Education
Are you interested in influencing the field of nursing and taking the discipline even further? Nurses who are prepared with a Ph.D. are needed to steward the discipline and educate the next generation of nurses. Prepare to conduct original research, generate new ideas, design, implement, and communicate findings to lay audience programs for nurses — including formal academic programs that lead to a degree — with Liberty’s Ph.D. in Nursing – Nursing Education degree.
Our doctorate in nursing education is a great credential to have to advance or alter your career path. It can provide both the knowledge and research experience that is important to become a faculty member at a university or educator in a medical facility. You could become a professor of nursing or pursue other educational opportunities within healthcare — or go into hospital administration, health policy advocacy, or nursing research.
Nursing education is a growing field that needs educators who are passionate about patient advocacy and the advancement of excellent healthcare policies and processes. Apply your current experience to your studies and gain the knowledge you need to lead in advancing the nursing profession with a Ph.D. in Nursing.
Licensure requirements may vary and are subject to change without notice. View your state’s requirements here: licensure/certification requirements.
Why Choose Liberty’s Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree?
By choosing Liberty to pursue your doctoral degree, you’re choosing a university that is accredited, Christ-centered, and flexible with course scheduling. When you choose any of our online degree programs, you’re choosing excellence that is grounded in integrity.
Liberty University is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means that you can be confident that you are receiving a world-class education that has met rigorous education standards.
We understand that you may have family, career, and community obligations — so our program is designed to work around your busy life and schedule. You can complete your doctorate in nursing 100% online, in a flexible 8-week course format. Optional synchronous online sessions are delivered most weeks of the semester to allow you to maximize engagement with faculty, classmates, and the program.
At Liberty, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ. All of our programs are taught by Christian faculty who are not only nationally recognized educational leaders but also professors committed to your personal and professional success.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree?
In this program, you’ll learn to design and lead effective nursing education programs for the next generation of medical professionals. Your coursework can help you become a confident leader, equipped to implement change and improvements to nursing education. Through multi-disciplinary courses and interactions with your professors, you can develop the skills you need to lead and collaborate with healthcare teams and create positive change.
Upon successful completion of our program, you can be more prepared to:
- Act as a professional nursing leader, role model, and mentor for those who wish to pursue advancement in nursing.
- Advocate for policies and programs that improve health outcomes for individuals and communities.
- Apply ethical decision-making and values to the nursing profession based upon a biblical worldview.
- Contribute to the science of nursing by creating original research and scholarship.
- Educate the next generation of nurse scholars to add to the global community of nursing professionals.
- Synthesize the philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of nursing in the practice of research
- NURS 764 – Learning Theories and Teaching Methods for Nurse Educators
- NURS 765 – Curriculum Development and Program Evaluation for Nurse Educators
- NURS 766 – Advanced Evaluation Strategies for Nurse Educators
- NURS 784 – Assessment and Accreditation for Nursing Programs
Course guides available upon request
Highlights of Our Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online nursing degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years — and counting.
- Our nursing faculty are nationally recognized educational leaders.
With the growing demand for nurses, nurse educators are also in demand at all levels, and with a doctorate in nursing, you may find many employment doors opening.
Ph.D. in Nursing Education Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Nursing.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Nursing Course Guides. (login required)
Career Opportunities for Ph.D. in Nursing Education Graduates
- Health policy advocate
- Hospital administrator
- Nurse scientist
- Nursing professor/faculty member
- Nursing researcher
Admission Requirements for our Ph.D. in Nursing – Nursing Education
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
At this time, our Ph.D. in Nursing Education degree is limited in certain states. Please view the licensure/certification requirements for your state. International students can contact the School of Nursing for questions about admission to their specific degree of interest.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts showing successful completion of a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree
- Contact information for 1 recommender
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
Doctoral Nursing Education students must also meet the following requirements:
- Registered Nurse licensure verification will be conducted annually until the curriculum for the online Ph.D. in Nursing – Nursing Education is completed. You, as the student, are responsible to notify the School of Nursing should any restrictions be placed on your license.
- One year minimum experience as a Registered Nurse (RN).
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.