Prepare for a Rewarding Career in the Commercial Music Industry
Are you interested in getting into or increasing your knowledge of the music business? Liberty University’s online undergraduate certificate in commercial music can help you advance your skills in music technology, applied music, music theory, and musicianship. In this competitive industry, knowledge is power — and Liberty’s professors are here to help you attain your academic and career goals.
Median Annual Pay
If the idea of spending your days in a recording studio either composing, producing, or recording music appeals to you, then this certificate can help! Our Commercial Music Certificate focuses on the marketable skills that you’ll need to succeed and excel. The courses in this music production certificate are career-focused and have been designed by industry professionals. Partner with Liberty for your commercial music education and make your dreams a reality.
Commercial Music Certificate Potential Career Options
Our Commercial Music Certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Audio engineer
- Music performer
- Recording engineer
- Sound technician
The skills you gain from this certificate can be an asset in a wide variety of music industry jobs. Whether you are behind the scenes or want to better understand the business as a performer, you can benefit from this training. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into the bachelor’s in commercial music.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Broadcast, Sound, and Video Technicians, 2020 (viewed online June 21, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Undergraduate Certificate in Commercial Music?
At Liberty University, we know it can be a challenge to obtain essential recording and applied music skills on your schedule, which is why you can complete our Certificate in Commercial Music 100% online. At Liberty, you can receive a quality, well-rounded education while still making an impact on your family, job, church, and community.
This Commercial Music Certificate is a great option if you have not yet committed to pursuing your bachelor’s degree. If you do have a bachelor’s degree but it is in a field outside of music, then this certificate can help you gain the skills and prerequisites needed to gain entry into the MA in Music Education or the MA in Music and Worship or stand on its own as an additional credential.
What Will You Learn in Our Certificate in Commercial Music?
Our Commercial Music Certificate covers a wide variety of fundamental skills meant to give you the edge as new technology and methods are developed in this exciting and changing industry. One of the first courses you will study will introduce you to current technology used in generating music for the commercial marketplace. You will enhance your audio engineering knowledge and your own marketability.
You will also study:
- Front of house and monitor mixing for venues, tours, and houses of worship
- How to develop technical fluency, expressive musicianship, and professionalism in performance
- How to develop your aural perception and sight-reading skills
- Popular and jazz music writers, influences, and trends
- Sound system setup and design implementation
- Triggering loops in real time, recording analog music, programming digital music, and notating music digitally
- CMUS 102 – Survey of Music Technology
- CMUS 105 – Commercial Theory and Harmonic Practices I
- CMUS 107 – Commercial Musicianship I
- CMUS 151 – Commercial Applied Music I
- CMUS 152 – Commercial Applied Music II
- CMUS 213 – Survey of Commercial Music Literature
- CMUS 218 – Commercial Music Production and Audio
- CMUS 329 – Fundamentals of Sound Reinforcement
Highlights of Our Online Certificate in Commercial Music
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You could complete this certificate in commercial music in as little as 2 semesters!
- You will have music professionals teaching your courses and sharing their wealth of industry knowledge.
Undergraduate Certificate in Commercial Music Information
- This certificate falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Music Course Guides(login required).
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Online Commercial Music Certificate Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Commercial Music Certificate
Applicants must have a 1.5 or above cumulative GPA for all accredited colleges previously attended. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.