The Juris Master in Health Law Can Help You Build a Firm Legal Foundation for Better Health Outcomes
As a healthcare professional, there are always new things to learn and improve on. With changes in administration and sweeping reforms, an increasing amount of healthcare professionals are expected to have a background in law to help maintain health outcomes for patients and clients. The good news is that Liberty University is prepared to help you stay knowledgeable about the latest in healthcare law without having to leave your current job.
Liberty University’s 100% online Juris Master (J.M.) – Health Law degree program can help you enhance your expertise in the healthcare field. Health-related spending accounts for about one-fifth of the U.S. economy, and health law issues continue to be a large part of the healthcare industry. You can build your knowledge and skills in one of the most active legal disciplines by learning the tools you need to keep up with ever-changing policies.
The Juris Master in Health Law focuses on the rules and regulations that govern the healthcare industry. As health law affects all public, private, and nonprofit sectors, healthcare professionals who have knowledge of the rules and regulations that govern their industry may benefit from this program. For professionals who do not intend to practice law but want to study advanced legal principles and health policy, the online master of jurisprudence in health law can help you become a health law and policy expert.
Can I practice law with a Juris Master degree?
A Juris Master degree is designed to complement your professional experience and academic background, but it does not meet requirements to sit for the bar exam or practice law. The American Bar Association only approves residential Juris Doctor programs. If you are thinking of becoming an attorney, we encourage you to apply to our residential J.D. program.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Juris Master in Health Law Program?
Professionals in the healthcare industry increasingly need health law expertise in order to enhance their professional performance and credibility in the field. You need to know about the law, but you don’t need to become a practicing lawyer. Liberty’s online Juris Master (J.M.) in Health Law offers an alternative to a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree.
This 30-credit-hour master’s degree is taught from a Christian worldview and can help you understand essential legal concepts in health policy without the commitment of a residential Juris Doctor program. This degree can help you understand the legal policies and regulations that influence how healthcare organizations, international relief organizations, mission agencies, insurance, and other health-related enterprises function.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Juris Master in Health Law Degree?
Your master’s in health law will teach you about the American legal system and specialized legal issues in the healthcare industry. Topics will include an overview of the laws related to the health care industry as well as the law and policy that underpin healthcare bioethics.
Additionally, you can learn about various compliance issues, issues of fraud and abuse, and laws related to medical malpractice and negligence. Knowing about the legal intricacies of the physician-patient relationship is especially important in avoiding malpractice suits, as is knowing how to properly initiate and terminate such relationships.
The core of the online J.M. degree provides training in legal systems, legal analysis, research of law topics, and a history of law to give students a thorough background in legal studies. Throughout this program, you can develop your critical thinking, reasoning, and writing skills as you gain knowledge about the legal issues surrounding the healthcare industry.
- JURI 525 – Health Law Survey
- JURI 535 – Healthcare and Bioethics
- JURI 545 – Healthcare Compliance
- JURI 580 – Ethics and Professional Responsibility
Highlights of the Online Juris Master in Health Law Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- As an online student, you will have the opportunity to network with leaders and experts in law from across the country.
- You can complete the online Juris Master – Health Law in as little as 1 year.
Online Juris Master in Health Law Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Law.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the online Graduate Law Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Juris Master Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for Graduates of the Online J.M. in Health Law Degree
Liberty’s online Juris Master (J.M.) can help prepare students to work in fields where legal knowledge is crucial. Here are some of the positions you may qualify for:
- Compliance officer
- Healthcare executive
- Insurance company executive
- Nonprofit officer
- Risk manager
If you earn Liberty’s online J.M., you can use this degree to help establish yourself as a health law expert in your field. You can become well-equipped to pursue careers in healthcare companies, insurance companies, pharmaceuticals companies, hospitals and hospital systems, regulatory agencies, and health-related nonprofits.
Admission Requirements for the Juris Master in Health Law
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Professional Vita/résumé
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.