Gain Legal Skills for Your Career with an Online Juris Master Degree
No matter the industry, advanced experts and leaders often find that to tackle the most significant problems in their fields, they need to understand the law. But if you don’t plan to become an attorney, how can you get the legal skills you need as quickly as possible? Liberty University designed a 100% online Juris Master (J.M.) – General degree to fit your need for a customizable, flexible, and fast legal studies degree.
With a core of advanced law studies and research skills, you can customize your approach to legal studies to fit your career needs. Our Juris Master online degree is designed to teach you master’s-level legal studies without the bar examination preparations that are part of a Juris Doctor degree, so you can focus on what matters most to you. Through this 100% online program, you will have the freedom to continue your career while finishing an in-depth and tailored legal studies degree in as little as 1 year.
What can I do with a Juris Master degree?
Our Juris Master degree is designed to give you specialized legal skills that can help you thrive in your unique field. This degree can open the door to many new roles in your industry that require legal knowledge but are not a formal law practice.
Because a Juris Master degree focuses entirely on complementing your professional experience with a focused study of the law, it is not designed to meet requirements to sit for the bar exam or practice law. In fact, the American Bar Association only approves residential Juris Doctor programs. If you are thinking about becoming an attorney, we encourage you to apply to our residential JD program.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Juris Master – General Track?
If you need to understand legal policy and regulations that govern businesses, educational institutions, nonprofits, and government agencies, Liberty’s online Juris Master degree will help you gain a broad, in-depth study of legal issues in your industry. As our most flexible online law degree program, the Juris Master – General degree can help you build an unbeatable combination of professional and legal knowledge that’s just right for your career.
Unlike the lengthy and restrictive degree plans required for bar-eligible Juris Doctor degrees, we designed our Juris Master – General degree to give you a streamlined core of legal studies with customizable electives. Building on this foundation, you can choose electives that will help you build a targeted skill set. This format gives you the flexibility you need to study and complete assignments when it is most convenient for your schedule.
Our Juris Master degree is taught by practicing lawyers with real-world experience. Our professors care about you and strive to provide the mentorship and support you need throughout your degree program.
Because Liberty University is a Christian school and desires to Train Champions for Christ in the law and policy field, the online Juris Master program is grounded in biblical ethics and professional responsibility that reflects a Christian worldview. You can be confident that our approach to legal issues will be based on a foundation of ethics and responsible practice.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Juris Master Degree?
In our Juris Master – General program, you will gain a critical foundation of research, policy analysis, and legal writing. You will review the foundations of law and jurisprudence as well as legal ethics and professional responsibility.
Depending on which electives you choose, topics may include laws related to health care, corporate law, intellectual property, administrative law, and risk management. You will examine the process of meeting legal, ethical, and professional standards set by government agencies and third-party players. You can study how organizations develop and administer practical standards to screen and evaluate employees, communicate and educate them on compliance issues, investigate non-compliance, and take appropriate disciplinary and remedial measures.
With a firm foundation in legal studies, the Juris Master degree can equip you with a broad skill set to tackle legal issues in any industry you choose.
Program Highlights of the Online Juris Master – General Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Juris Master degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- As an online student, you will have the opportunity to network with leaders and experts in law from across the country.
- You can complete the online Juris Master – General in as little as 1 year.
Online Juris Master Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Law.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Graduate Law Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Juris Master Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the Online Juris Master – General Degree
Liberty’s online Juris Master (J.M.) can help prepare you to work in fields where legal knowledge is helpful. Here are some of the positions you might qualify for:
- Executive policy director
- Legal consultant
- Legal educator
- Local or federal compliance agent
- Risk management consultant
Juris Master Online Degree Program Admission Requirements
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Professional Vita/résumé
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.