Help Others Lead Healthy Lives with Liberty’s Master’s in Nutrition Online Degree
Are you passionate about helping others develop better nutritional habits so they can live fuller and happier lives? Whether you are a nutrition professional who wants to get more training or someone who wants to enter the field for the first time, Liberty’s online Master of Science (MS) in Nutrition can give you the training you need to help others.
With an online master’s in nutrition, you can help people lead healthier lives by assessing their health goals and providing life-changing guidance. Liberty’s MS in Nutrition online degree can be completed from the comfort of your home, so you can gain the advanced nutrition skills you need while staying connected to what matters most to you.
As a health professional, you have many opportunities to meet the needs of clients in your community. Prepare yourself for a rewarding career with Liberty’s online MS in Nutrition.
What is an MS in Nutrition?
A Master of Science in Nutrition provides advanced training and studies in health and nutrition for professionals who want to provide consulting and guidance in the areas of diet and nutritional health. While Liberty’s master’s degree in nutrition does not lead to certification as a Registered Dietician (RD), it can provide a stepping stone to the Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) credential.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Science in Nutrition?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we’ve designed this nutrition master’s program to offer you maximum flexibility. Liberty’s online nutrition classes are only 8 weeks long with 8 different start dates each year and no set login times. You’ll have the freedom to earn your degree on your schedule and stay invested in your family, job, and community while pursuing your professional goals.
Our online nutrition master’s degree is designed to help you apply your current skill set to a new career in the field of nutritional health or improve your effectiveness as a current professional in the health industry. As demand for nutrition experts increases, having a master’s in nutrition can help you stay competitive with the latest tools and skills. Whether you are well-established in this field or just getting started, our online nutrition degree can meet you where you are and help equip you for your next step.
Our master’s degree in nutrition can also help you work toward becoming a Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS). This valuable credential can help you pursue a wider range of career opportunities – and our nutrition courses online provide in-depth study of essential health and nutrition topics that can set you well on your way to meeting credential requirements.
Additionally, our online nutrition courses can build on your previous health experience to help you explore new opportunities in this field. Established health educators, nutrition coaches, and sports nutrition specialists alike can all benefit from the advanced training offered in this online nutrition degree. If you want to expand your skill set and get new training in the latest nutrition methods and research, our MS in Nutrition can give you the edge you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a Master of Public Health in Nutrition and an MS in Nutrition?
Liberty’s Master of Public Health (MPH) in Nutrition focuses on community nutrition and the development of health programs that promote nutritional services and healthy habits at the community level. In contrast, the Master of Science in Nutrition focuses more on individual nutritional needs for healthy eating and nutritional research.
Both degrees offer valuable training that can help you work with a wide range of clients – you’ll just need to determine whether you want to focus on nutrition at the individual or community level and pick your master’s degree accordingly!
How long does it take to finish an online nutrition master’s degree?
Our master’s in nutrition online is designed to be completed in as little as 1 year. And, with the potential to transfer in up to 50% of your total credits, you could finish the program even sooner! We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
What can you do with a Master of Science in Nutrition?
By earning your nutrition master’s online, you can become equipped to pursue a career as a non-licensed nutritionist in traditional or alternative settings such as alternative medicine practice, holistic health centers, private practice, community centers, and nonprofit organizations. You can also work toward earning your Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) credential, which could help you pursue additional career opportunities and higher earning potential.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Science in Nutrition?
This nutrition program online seeks to provide a thorough background in health and nutrition knowledge that you need to be an effective health professional. You will study important principles of nutrition, metabolism, and the role food plays in maintaining good health. You’ll also have access to current research on nutrition that can help you evaluate new programs, identify trendy new behaviors in the health community, and provide sound guidance for your clients.
Additionally, you will study the societal, familial, and psychological factors involved in the development of eating disorders, type 2 diabetes, and other nutrition-based diseases. Other courses in our nutrition master’s online examine current research regarding the relationship between genetics, chronic disease, and nutritional therapy. This program also has room for electives and a selection of population-specific courses that allow you to customize your degree for the particular clients you want to work with.
Discover what else you can learn to do with an online master’s in nutrition:
- Analyze public health data using appropriate epidemiologic measures to describe a population-based health problem
- Evaluate current public health policies on diabetes, obesity, and eating disorders
- Identify the methods of genetic and epigenetic modification of food
- Investigate foodborne illness outbreaks
- Solve problems and make critical decisions in food sanitation and safety inspection
- Understand and apply concepts in research design, data collection, statistical testing, and interpretation
- HLTH 503 – Epidemiology
- HLTH 640 – Principles of Nutrition
- HLTH 642 – Food-borne Illness Prevention
- HLTH 644 – Diabetes, Obesity, and Eating Disorders
Highlights of Our Master of Science in Nutrition
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online MS in Nutrition degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- You can complete this nutrition master’s program online in as little as 1 year!
- Our master’s degree in nutrition online provides a stepping stone toward becoming a Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS).
- Earn your degree on your schedule with Liberty’s 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times.
- As an online student, you’ll have the opportunity to network with nutrition professionals from across the country.
Online Master’s in Nutrition Degree Information
- This online degree in nutrition falls under the School of Health Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Health Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online MS in Nutrition Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MS in Nutrition Graduates
- Non-licensed nutritionist
- Nutrition or health educator
- Nutritional counselor
- Private nutrition consultant
- Wellness consultant
Admission Requirements for the Master’s in Nutrition Online Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.