Foster New Policies and Practices in Public Safety Leadership with a Master’s in Public Safety Administration Degree – General
Liberty’s 100% online Master of Science (MS) in Public Safety – General is designed to help you effectively manage resources, information, and personnel as you work to protect the public from threats to their safety and well-being. Whether you currently work as a manager or administrator in public safety or hope to soon don the mantle of leadership, our master’s in public safety degree online can help you learn how to collaborate and coordinate with multiple agencies at various levels of government.
Our online public safety degree is also an excellent option if you’re a first responder looking to acquire new skills and better serve your community. This program provides a blend of scholarly research and practical application, so you can become equipped to serve in hands-on leadership roles and develop new public safety policies. Promoting public safety is a multijurisdictional task that spans multiple fields – and our online public safety management degree offers an in-depth look at the interdisciplinary nature of protecting the public.
At Liberty, our goal is to offer an online education that meets your needs as a student and as a professional. By pursuing the general track for our master’s in public safety administration, you’ll have the added flexibility of being able to handpick 5 of your courses – so you can mix and match various classes and explore the subjects you’re most interested in. Partner with us and learn how to lead with excellence in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Public Safety – General?
At Liberty, we don’t just train public safety professionals – we equip passionate, motivated individuals with the knowledge, values, and skills essential for impacting the world. Throughout our master’s in public safety management degree online, you’ll be challenged to integrate ethical principles with public safety practices. That way, you can carry out your responsibilities as a public safety leader in a way that recognizes and protects the inherent worth of every individual.
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we know how to create online programs that blend accessibility, affordability, and high-quality academics. Our master’s in public safety degree is offered 100% online with 8 different start dates each year and no set login times – giving you the freedom to earn your degree on your schedule. Additionally, Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) – so you can pursue your degree with confidence.
One of our most valuable resources is our faculty. Our public safety professors have terminal degrees and years of experience in related fields. With their guidance, you can gain an insider’s look at the industry and develop marketable skills that are essential in public safety administration. Our faculty are committed to your success and will seek to help you thrive personally, professionally, and academically.
Generous Discount for Active Duty Law Enforcement and Other First Responders
Liberty University is committed to providing world-class education and aims to help students achieve their educational goals, in whatever way we can. The First Responder Tuition Discount was created to take some of the financial burdens of tuition off the men and women who work in public service.
As Liberty University’s way of saying ‘Thank You,’ we proudly provide you with the following benefits:
- A 25% tuition discount
- Potential college credit for training and life experience
- Personalized service throughout your educational journey
- Potential stacking with other tuition benefits (Corporate Advantage Program or Military Benefits)
For more information on eligibility and claiming this discount, please visit the First Responder Discount page.
What Will You Learn in Our Public Safety Master’s Program?
Liberty’s master’s in public safety administration degree provides an in-depth exploration of relevant core subjects such as public safety leadership and crisis response. You can also learn how to synthesize leadership and management best practices within the field of public administration. Additionally, you will analyze the many challenges faced by public servants – including contemporary legal issues, shifting cultural demographics, and political movements.
This degree also explores various aspects of disaster management, including:
- Crisis counseling
- Damage assessment
- Debris removal
- Disaster declaration
- Fiscal responsibilities
- Human behavior in emergency situations
- Individual and public assistance
- Media relations
- Sheltering and triage
- Warning and evacuation
Within the general specialization, you’ll have the opportunity to handpick 5 graduate-level courses offered by Liberty’s Helms School of Government. That way, you can gain advanced knowledge of public safety practices while tailoring your degree to match your unique interests and goals. Each course in this program places a heavy emphasis on research and analysis, so you can become equipped to solve current problems in the field.
- CRIS 605 – Crisis and First Responder Training: Skills and Techniques
- HLSC 600 – Introduction to Disaster Management
- PADM 610 – Management of Public Sector Organizations
- PADM 620 – Public Administration Praxis: Legal and Contemporary Issues
Highlights of Liberty’s Master’s in Public Safety and Security Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your master’s in public safety management degree online from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- You may be able to earn course credit for relevant life experience through Liberty’s Experience Plus program.
- You can complete this public safety master’s degree in as little as 1 year!
- As an online student, you’ll have access to a wealth of resources through our top-notch library portal.
Public Safety Administration Master’s Degree Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Master’s Degree in Public Safety Administration
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
What Jobs Can You Get with a Public Safety Degree?
After earning your online master’s in safety, some of the roles you could pursue include:
- Chief security officer
- Community service manager
- Emergency management director
- First responder
- Law enforcement officer
- Public safety compliance officer
- Public safety training officer
- Security director
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Master’s Degree in Public Safety
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.