Learn to Lead in Global Governance with a Master’s in International Relations Online Degree
Liberty University’s online Master of Science in International Relations degree is a great option for individuals who enjoy traveling, politics, and communication. Our international relations master’s program provides the training needed to maintain positive diplomatic relations with other countries and prevent international conflicts. You will learn to monitor current events and give your recommendations on public policy. In addition, you will gain a firm understanding of international relations, global security, and governance.
The advanced knowledge and training you receive in this graduate program will benefit you in a wide range of professions. Diplomacy, foreign service, federal civil service, international aid and development, international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), international business, or journalism are just a few of the professions that will be open to you. Our challenging curriculum will equip you with the skills needed to become a valuable asset in your global career.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in International Relations Degree Online?
We aim to prepare students with a multidisciplinary approach to international relations. We address history, philosophy, governing structures and processes, and comparative politics. The knowledge of international politics and policies gained through our international relations degree is based on a solid biblical foundation to advance global diplomacy.
Our master’s in international relations degree completion plan allows you to choose between a thesis and a non-thesis track. Our thesis track allows you to take the knowledge you have learned from your courses and apply them to real-life problems in the international relations field. You will evaluate weaknesses and test your ability to carry out original research to find solutions.
The competition for jobs in this field can be fierce. That’s why you need the latest information and the skills to vie for the top positions in international relations. One example of these jobs is a political scientist which had an annual salary of $117,570 per year in 2018.* Our courses give you the comparative politics and international law background that will make you an asset in any government, labor or political organization.
In our goal to be one of the best international relations master’s programs, we are constantly updating our program to stay current with world issues. Liberty’s master’s in international relations online degree is designed to produce internationally astute leaders who will make a global impact for Christ.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Political Scientists, (visited March 13, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in International Relations Degree Program?
The master’s in international relations degree online prepares graduate students to pursue a wide range of careers in the public, nonprofit, and private sectors. These careers require an understanding of international politics, foreign affairs, international economics, and national security issues. You will study various disciplines to gain a foundation in international relations. These different disciplines will address history, philosophy, governing structures and processes, and comparative politics.
You will study critical pieces of international organizations and human rights, political economy and international trade, and international security and terrorism. You will learn the importance of global governance in the contexts of political, military, legal, financial, or humanitarian institutions like the UN, World Bank, IMF, World Court, and other international non-government organizations (INGO).
Our international relations degree provides training from a Judeo-Christian perspective on international affairs and American foreign policy. The online master’s in international relations will give you a basis for understanding the relation between U.S. foreign policy and the Middle East. Each course taken will be grounded in a biblical perspective on government, politics, and diplomacy.
Master’s in International Relations Featured Courses
- INTL 502 — Global Governance
- PPOG 506 — Geopolitics and International Diplomacy
- PPOL 650 — International Law, Policy, and Politics
- PSCI 600 — Comparative Politics
Master’s in International Relations Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online master’s degree in international relations from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our online international relations master’s has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our master’s in international relations degree program in less than 2 years.
- Gain the confidence needed to submit your research results and give presentations on your outlook on international events and politics.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Juris Master in International Legal Studies — This degree program will allow you to understand legal matters that influence the commerce of international organizations, mission agencies, and other enterprises. This understanding will allow you to build a foundation in the strategic application and understanding of international law.
- Master of Science in Political Science — Our program is focused on the rigorous and comprehensive study of politics. This program builds upon various fundamental skills integral to a career as a political scientist. These skills will aid in your ability to advance research and scholarship on the nature and impact of politics in society.
- Master of Arts in Public Policy — This degree will prepare you for an exciting career in many fields, including public administration, government, and politics. Each course will equip you to serve effectively as an expert in the field of public policy and will emphasize the importance of applying ethics to management practices. Through this program, you will strengthen your critical thinking skills and stretch your comprehension of critical issues facing today’s society.
Master’s in International Relations Degree Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Master’s in International Relations Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in International Relations Degree
After completing your master of international studies degree online, you will have the opportunity to pursue careers in many areas. Most positions typically work full time in an office although you might have to travel for international jobs. In addition, there is a chance that you might have to work to finish reports and deadlines for presentations, articles or meetings. The majority of jobs in this field are related to the federal government or other professional research services. Here are just a few of the jobs you may be able to pursue:
- Foreign service or public affairs officer
- Global missions worker/director
- International business consultant
- International lawyer
- NGO director
- Political Scientist
Admission Requirements for the Master of Science in International Relations
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.