Learn to Lead in Global Governance with a Master’s in International Relations Online Degree
Liberty University’s online Master of Science in International Relations degree is a great option for individuals who enjoy traveling, politics, and communication. Our international relations master’s program helps provide the training needed to maintain positive diplomatic relations with other countries and prevent international conflicts. You can learn to monitor current events and give your recommendations on public policy. In addition, you can gain a firm understanding of international relations, global security, and governance.
The advanced knowledge and training you receive in this graduate program may benefit you in a wide range of professions. Diplomacy, foreign service, federal civil service, international aid and development, international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), international business, or journalism are just a few of the professions that you could pursue. Our challenging curriculum can help equip you with the skills needed to become a valuable asset in your global career.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in International Relations Degree Online?
We aim to prepare students with a multidisciplinary approach to international relations. We address history, philosophy, governing structures and processes, and comparative politics. The knowledge of international politics and policies gained through our international relations degree is based on a solid biblical foundation to advance global diplomacy.
Our master’s in international relations degree completion plan allows you to choose between a thesis and a non-thesis track. Our thesis track allows you to take the knowledge you have learned from your courses and apply them to real-life problems in the international relations field. You will evaluate weaknesses and test your ability to carry out original research to find solutions. The non-thesis track lets you select elective courses so you can tailor your degree to match your career goals.
The competition for jobs in this field can be fierce. That’s why you need the latest information and skills to vie for the top positions in international relations. For instance, you may want to become a political scientist — a position that offered a median annual salary of $125,350 per year in 2020.* Our courses provide a comparative politics and international law background that can help make you an asset in any government, labor, or political organization.
To fulfill our goal of offering one of the best international relations master’s programs, we are constantly updating our program to stay current with world issues. Liberty’s master’s in international relations online degree is designed to develop internationally astute leaders who can make a global impact for Christ.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Political Scientists, 2020 (viewed online June 28, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in International Relations Degree Program?
The master’s in international relations degree online helps prepare graduate students to pursue a wide range of careers in the public, nonprofit, and private sectors. These careers require an understanding of international politics, foreign affairs, international economics, and national security issues. You will study various disciplines to gain a foundation in international relations. These different disciplines will address history, philosophy, governing structures and processes, and comparative politics.
You will also study critical pieces of international organizations and human rights, political economy and international trade, and international security and terrorism. You will learn about the importance of global governance in the contexts of political, military, legal, financial, or humanitarian institutions like the United Nations (UN), World Bank, International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Court, and other international non-governmental organizations (INGOs).
Our international relations degree provides training from a Judeo-Christian perspective on international affairs and American foreign policy. The online master’s in international relations can give you a basis for understanding the relationship between U.S. foreign policy and the Middle East. Each course will be grounded in a biblical perspective on government, politics, and diplomacy.
Master’s in International Relations Featured Courses
- INTL 502 — Global Governance
- PPOG 506 — Geopolitics and International Diplomacy
- PPOL 650 — International Law, Policy, and Politics
- PSCI 600 — Comparative Politics
Master’s in International Relations Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online master’s degree in international relations from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our online international relations master’s has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our master’s in international relations degree program in less than 2 years.
- Gain the confidence needed to submit your research results and give presentations on your outlook on international events and politics.
Master’s in International Relations Degree Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Master’s in International Relations Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in International Relations Degree
After completing your master of international studies degree online, you can pursue careers in numerous areas. Many positions require full-time work in an office although you might have to travel for international relations jobs. The majority of careers in this field are related to the federal government or professional research services. Here are just a few of the roles you may be able to pursue:
- Foreign service or public affairs officer
- Global missions worker/director
- NGO director
- Political scientist
Admission Requirements for the Master of Science in International Relations
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.