Learn How to Investigate Crimes and Safeguard Physical Evidence with a Criminal Investigation Degree
These days, CSI brings with it an image of an exciting action-packed life filled with drama and romance. The actual career of crime scene investigation is not exactly the same as what is portrayed on TV. If you want a very rewarding and exciting job, helping to solve crimes and mysteries, then join the ranks of the many professionals who have pursued this as their chosen profession. Crime scene investigators can also be called forensic investigators.
If you are wondering how to become a forensic investigator, then Liberty University’s B.S. in Criminal Justice – Crime Scene Investigation is a great place to start.
Our CSI degree was designed to provide you with a strong understanding of the criminal justice field and the skills necessary to develop and analyze forensics laws. Through this program, you will learn the essential skills needed to conduct criminal investigations and protect and record vital evidence to ensure that it can be accurately analyzed.
Offered 100% online, our program’s flexibility allows you to graduate in less than 4 years without sacrificing your career — because our goal is to support you as both a student and a professional as you become a positive force in the criminal justice field. Your résumé will be well respected by police departments and other government agencies around the country.
What Does a Forensic Scientist Do?
The general term, forensic science technician, is used for someone who aids criminal investigations by collecting, safeguarding, and analyzing evidence. Usually, you would pick an area to specialize in such as crime scene investigation or laboratory analysis. If you were working at a crime scene, you would be involved in analyzing the scene and determining what evidence is there and how it can be collected.
You would then record the scene for use in the investigation by taking photographs, making sketches, and marking the location and position of evidence. This evidence would then be brought to a crime lab for further analysis.
In the laboratory, you might perform chemical, biological, and microscopic analyses on the evidence that was taken from the crime scene. This would involve analyzing DNA results and consulting with other experts on areas such as toxicology to determine if someone was poisoned. You might work with medical experts to study the causes of death and the identity of the victims through dental records.
Liberty University’s forensic science online degree focuses on preparing you for these roles as well as other skills that would typically be studied in a criminal justice program. Our online forensic science bachelor’s degree provides the knowledge and tools to approach your career with confidence.
Why Choose Liberty’s B.S. in Criminal Justice – Crime Scene Investigation?
At Liberty, we are dedicated to excellence, and as a pioneer of distance learning since 1985, we have a history of innovation. Today, we put our experience to use by providing you with an education that is affordable and at the forefront of forensics. Our goal as a nonprofit Christian university is to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to lead in the criminal justice field with strength and integrity.
This is a great field to get into as employment is projected to grow 14 percent over the next 10 years.* If you want to be out in the field actively recording crime scenes and collecting evidence, then this crime scene investigation degree can help. If you prefer to work in the lab studying the evidence that has been collected, then this degree can help as well.
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so your degree will be well-respected in your field. We strive to bring you the best education you can get with the flexibility to study in your own home or office without having to travel to campus.
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice?
Through Liberty’s online forensics degree program, you will learn both the scientific and analytical aspects of forensics. By studying past criminal cases, you will learn what police officers and crime scene investigators go through in the execution of their duties. Learn how to identify, collect, preserve, record, process, and analyze all forms of evidence. You will also learn how to capture the crime scene through the use of digital photography.
Furthermore, you will gain the essential skills needed to conduct a criminal investigation such as how to process a crime scene and methodology for collecting evidence via subpoenas and interviews. Your crime scene investigator education will teach you what is legal under the Constitution and what criminal laws govern the actions of both police and regular citizens.
- CJUS 361 – Crime Scene Photography
- CJUS 362 – Crime Scene Management
- CJUS 420 – Criminal Investigations
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Forensic Science Technicians, (visited March 19, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Crime Scene Investigation Degree Information
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- View the Undergraduate Government Course Guides (login required).
- What more out of your degree? Add a minor or 2 to focus or expand your studies further.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Generous Discount for Active Duty Law Enforcement and Other First Responders
Liberty University is committed to helping students achieve their educational goals in whatever way we can. The First Responder Discount was created to take ease some of the financial burdens of tuition from the men and women who work in public service.
As Liberty University’s way of saying “Thank you,” we proudly provide you with the following benefits:
Potential Career Options with a Crime Scene Investigation Degree
Our forensic investigation degree is designed to help lead you to a career in a diverse and challenging atmosphere in the criminal justice system. Potential career fields include:
- Crime scene technician
- Crime scene investigator
- Forensic project coordinator
- Senior forensic analyst
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Benefits of Liberty’s Crime Scene Investigation Bachelor’s Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online criminal investigation degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our program has been ranked as the #2 Most Affordable Online Bachelor’s Degree in Forensic Science by AffordableColleges.com.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- As an online forensic science degree student, you will have the opportunity to network with leaders and experts in the crime scene investigation field from across the country.