Foster Positive Learning Environments with a Master of Education in Instructional Design and Technology
Combining your creativity, interest in technology, and love of education into a degree program is easier than you think! Liberty’s online Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Higher Education – Instructional Design and Technology is designed to help meet the need for administrative leaders in the world of education. This program will equip you to design and develop high-quality learning experiences and products.
The use of technology is crucial to the success of teachers and students alike. By completing our online instructional design degree, you can pursue a rewarding career in the education field and create effective instructional materials that promote student development. Maybe you’re passionate about working in education, but you don’t want to be a professor or teacher. If so, this degree may be right for you.
Virtual classrooms and digital content are constantly developing, and instructional design professionals are needed to create new and improved learning products that meet students’ needs. Partner with us and learn how to use the latest technology innovations to transform and invigorate our modern education system.
Can I teach college with a master’s in education?
An M.Ed. degree is designed to prepare you for educational leadership roles outside the classroom. However, if you do want to work directly in academics, earning an M.Ed. will also equip you to teach at the college level. By completing this program, you’ll develop marketable skills that can help you navigate the changing climate of postsecondary education.
What does “instructional design” mean?
An instructional designer’s job is to develop, implement, and evaluate instructional strategies and materials. In other words, the goal of these professionals is to facilitate student learning by implementing the best methodologies and technologies into the classroom.
Why is instructional design important in education?
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Instructional Design and Technology?
We have led the way as pioneers in distance education since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has remained the same. We are proud to offer our higher education design program 100% online, so you don’t have to relocate or take time away from your career and family to pursue your degree.
Additionally, our online classes have no set login times, which means you can complete your coursework wherever and whenever it’s most convenient for you! At Liberty, you’ll receive affordable tuition rates, quality academics, and a flexible online format — all with the goal of helping you become a Champion for Christ in your personal and professional life.
We won’t just help you get a degree. We’ll equip you with the skills and credentials you need to take the next step in your career. By learning from professors who have years of experience in the field of education, you can develop your expertise and learn how to live out ethical standards in the workplace.
What Will You Learn in Our Instructional Design and Technology Master’s Online Program?
In this program, you will take core classes that explore various aspects of postsecondary education. Our intro to higher education course dives into the major trends and issues facing colleges and universities today. Students will learn about the role of higher education institutions in society, as well as how culture, politics, and economics impact today’s education system.
To ensure you can meet the needs of diverse student populations, you will learn how to provide student support services like academic advising and career guidance. With this knowledge, you can promote student retention and satisfaction.
The instructional design and technology specialization provides the tools you need to become a course developer. You’ll explore how to use educational technology to improve instruction, supplement learning experiences, and evaluate student progress. Technology plays a vital role in today’s education landscape, especially with the current popularity of distance learning. So it’s critical that you understand cutting-edge methods for using technology to meet student and teacher needs.
The world of education is always growing and changing, and this program will equip you with foundational skills that can help you overcome challenges and adapt to new environments.
- EDUC 630 – Technology Practices for Instructional Improvement
- EDUC 631 – Foundations of Educational Technology and Online Learning
- EDUC 633 – Principles of Design and Management in Distance Education
- EDUC 664 – Economics and Finance of Higher Education
Highlights of Our Instructional Design in Education Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online master’s in instructional design and technology from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.Ed. program is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Our online master’s degree in instructional design and technology is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- You can complete this program in as little as 1 year.
- Our online classes are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- As an online student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
Instructional Design Master’s Degree Information
- This program falls under Liberty’s School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our instructional design degree.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Instructional Design in Higher Education Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times times
What Can I Do with a Master’s in Instructional Design and Technology?
After completing our instructional design master’s online, you can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the education field. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Chief learning officer
- Course design manager
- Curriculum specialist
- Director of center for teaching and learning
- Director of instructional technology
- Education program manager
- Learning and development project manager
Admission Requirements for Our MEd in Instructional Design Degree Online
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.