Learn How to Meet the Needs of Exceptional Students with a Master of Education in Gifted Education
Are you an education professional looking to advance your career? Do you want to help gifted students receive a rigorous, rewarding education? Are you passionate about equipping students of all ages for future success — both in school and in life?
If that sounds like you, Liberty’s online Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction – Gifted Education can help! Our program explores how to develop curricula and teaching strategies for students with advanced intellectual and creative abilities.
Throughout this program, you’ll learn how to identify and support gifted students, conduct educational research, and effectively implement technology in the classroom. Gifted and talented students need instructors and school leaders who understand their unique needs and are committed to helping them succeed. If you want to diversify your teaching strategies and become a specialist in this field, we can help you pursue your goals!
As a Christian university, Liberty recognizes the God-given uniqueness of every individual. We strive to equip educators who can adapt their instructional methods to help meet the needs of all types of students. Partner with us and prepare to make a difference in the world of education.
Please note: This program includes the required steps to pursue an add-on endorsement, which requires initial licensure in teaching. If you do not have an initial teaching license, please see the Master of Arts in Teaching program.
What is gifted education?
Gifted students often need a more rigorous educational experience than the one offered in traditional classrooms. As a gifted education instructor or director, you can help develop and oversee programs that are designed to challenge these students and help them reach their full potential — both in the classroom and beyond.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Gifted Education Program?
Liberty University, a nonprofit institution of higher education, was founded in 1971. To this day, we remain one of the leading Christian universities in the nation. Liberty has also been a pioneer in distance education since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has not. We seek to develop programs that help students lead with excellence and integrity in their chosen career field.
Here are just some of the benefits of pursuing your degree at Liberty:
- Valuable Credentials | Our gifted education master’s degree online is accredited by NCATE (the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) through CAEP (the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation). You can be confident that our master’s degree in education has met rigorous academic standards and requirements.
- Experienced Professors | Our M.Ed. faculty have spent years teaching at all levels of education. They can help you develop the expertise needed to pursue educational leadership roles both inside and outside the classroom. Liberty’s professors are also firmly rooted in the Christian faith, so you can know that you’re learning from industry experts who share your passion for making a difference.
- Flexibility | To help promote your success, we’ve designed our gifted education degree to be 100% online. You’ll have the freedom to complete your degree from anywhere in the world while still gaining access to many of the same great resources offered in our residential classes. If you’re a parent or full-time professional, we offer the flexibility you need to pursue a master’s degree — without putting your life on hold!
Integrity | As with all of Liberty’s programs, our master’s in gifted and talented education seeks to provide not just essential knowledge and skills, but also courses taught from a biblical perspective. You can learn how to integrate ethical principles with industry best practices, as well as analyze issues in education through the lens of a Christian worldview.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete Liberty’s gifted education master’s program?
You can finish your master’s in gifted education in just 1.5 years! We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
How much can I earn with a master’s degree in gifted education?
Your salary will depend on a number of factors, such as your location, educational background, and level of experience. However, in general, completing a master’s degree could help you earn as much as 20% more each year than your professional counterparts who only have a bachelor’s degree.*
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment (viewed online December 11, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Will this program help me pursue licensure?
Our gifted education graduate program can help you pursue an add-on endorsement if you already have an initial teaching license. If you are not yet a licensed teacher, our Master of Arts in Teaching may be right for you!
What Will You Learn in Our Gifted Education Master’s Degree Online?
Prepare to design personalized educational experiences that promote student success.
Liberty strives to produce educators and school leaders who model high academic, moral, and spiritual standards before their peers. Our M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction is designed to help prepare candidates for effective leadership in Christian, private, and public schools. This program offers both theoretical and practical training, so you can deepen your understanding of current trends in education.
Within our core education courses, you will study advanced methods in teaching and curriculum development. You’ll also analyze the historical foundations of education and prepare to articulate your own classroom philosophy. Other topics of study include behavior management, technology practices, and curriculum evaluation.
Through the gifted education concentration, you can learn how to mentor, equip, and teach gifted students. You will explore the characteristics of gifted learners, particularly their social, emotional, and academic needs. You’ll also learn how to identify students with special abilities at an early age and help them reach their full potential.
Gifted students need challenging, rigorous programs that let them apply their abilities and achieve maximum growth. Throughout our gifted education courses, you will analyze best methods for creating, maintaining, and securing funding for gifted and talented school programs. You will also prepare to conduct research in the field of gifted education.
Before graduation, you will choose between 1) a directed practicum capstone and 2) a regular capstone course that covers current issues in education. Both courses can help foster your professional growth and development. In order to be eligible for an add-on endorsement in gifted education, you will need to complete the directed practicum capstone.
- EDGL 526 – Identification and Education of the Gifted Learner
- EDGL 619 – Supporting the Social, Emotional, and Guidance Needs of the Gifted
- EDGL 627 – Program Design and Services in Gifted Education
Highlights of Our Online Gifted Education Master’s Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full-time students, Liberty University’s M.Ed. online program is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- You can complete this master’s in gifted education in under 2 years!
- As an online student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
- You’ll have the opportunity to network with leaders in education across the country while completing your master’s in gifted and talented education.
- Our gifted online education courses are only 8 weeks long with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- Liberty is regionally accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- Our Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction is accredited by NCATE through CAEP.
Gifted and Talented Master’s Degree Program Online Information
- This degree falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our online master’s in gifted education.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Master’s in Gifted and Talented Education Online Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Careers with a Master’s Degree in Gifted Education
Liberty’s master’s in gifted education online can help you pursue a variety of careers in education. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Educational consultant
- Educational policy developer
- Gifted curriculum director
- Gifted education teacher
- Instructional coordinator
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Gifted Education Graduate Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.