Equip Children for a Bright Future with a Non-Licensure Online Elementary Education Degree
Children need support in education to have the best chance at a successful future. Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education Interdisciplinary Studies online degree program can provide you with the tools you need to help children grow into healthy, happy adults. Our elementary education online degree is designed to equip you with foundational skills in learning theory and practice. You can also examine current trends and practices used in both public and private schools – which can help you build up kids and cultivate learning.
Earning an online bachelors in elementary education interdisciplinary studies degree can equip you to achieve your goals and succeed in Christian school, private school, and homeschool settings. This elementary education bachelor’s degree online can also help prepare you for work in child care facilities, churches, and in public school settings as a paraprofessional.
Our online degree in elementary education is designed to give you pre-teacher preparation with the opportunity to practice creating lesson plans and units. You can also learn specialized assessment methods such as adaptive learning and direct instruction. This non-licensure, online elementary education degree seeks to prepare students for our Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program.
Liberty University’s School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) as an educator preparation provider. Students who complete the non-licensure bachelor of science in education degrees can apply to one of our many NCATE approved licensure-track Master of Arts in Teaching, graduate education programs. With these credentials, you can be confident that you can be ready to meet the challenges of the field.
Please note: Liberty’s BS in Elementary Education Interdisciplinary Studies is a non-licensure track. This program is intended to prepare students for non-licensed teaching roles or to continue into a licensure program at a later time. If you would like to pursue a teaching license through your bachelor’s degree, see the Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEd).
Here are some common questions and answers about our online elementary education degree:
What is Elementary Education?
Elementary education is the discipline of teaching young children from kindergarten to the start of middle grades. In the state of Virginia, elementary grade levels include kindergarten through 6th grade. Curriculum and instruction for elementary education develop reasoning skills and expose children to many topic areas that can be expanded on in later grades.
Can I earn a teaching degree online?
Yes, with a student teaching placement near you, and other state requirements. Liberty’s BS in Elementary Education is a non-licensure track. This program is designed for teachers who already have initial licensure, or plan to complete a licensure-track master’s degree. For more information about how to become a licensed elementary teacher through your bachelor’s in education degree, see the Bachelor of Education (BEd) page.
What’s the cost of a BS in elementary education degree online?
Our online 120-credit-hour BS in elementary education degree is billed at $390 per credit hour for full-time students and $455 per credit hour for part-time students. If you are a current or former member of the armed forces, you may be eligible for our discounted military rate of $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses.
An additional discount is available for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder. We also offer potential college credit for military training – which could reduce the number of courses you are required to take, and thus, reduce the total cost of your degree. In addition, you can transfer in up to 75% of your degree total – allowing you to finish your studies quicker, for less.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education Degree?
Liberty’s BS in elementary education degree is offered as an online program so you can complete your courses from the comfort of your own home. Our flexible coursework is designed to fit your schedule. You can study learning theories, teaching best practices, and cutting-edge teaching technology. You can also learn from professionals with real-world classroom experience who can mentor you in your teaching process.
You can also have hands-on teaching experience through one of our online education degree’s optional practicums. One practicum, EDUC 398, requires at least 45 classroom hours. EDUC 390 requires 300 supervised hours and satisfies one requirement needed for Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) certification. You can also complete a capstone course if you’re not interested in completing a practicum. Invest in Liberty’s NCATE-accredited online teaching bachelor’s degree with the confidence that your degree has met rigorous education standards.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s BS in Elementary Education Degree Online?
Liberty’s online teaching degrees can help you take advantage of the increased need for elementary education professionals. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that the median pay for kindergarten and elementary school teachers in 2020 was $60,660.*
The BLS also suggests that the job market for elementary teachers will grow by 7% by 2030.* Liberty’s BS in Elementary Education can help you stand out in the marketplace. And with professional skills that apply to any industry, you can also learn how to pursue many career options outside of the classroom.
- Our bachelor’s degree in elementary education was ranked in the top 5 for best online elementary education programs by Bestcolleges.com.
- You can study how to meet many teaching area needs with this online elementary education degree’s broad base of topic areas.
Don’t settle for just any online education degree – choose a program from a university that has been pioneering distance education since 1985. By partnering with Liberty, you can gain valuable skills and prepare for a variety of career options without having to leave the comfort of home. Choose Liberty: a university with a vested interest in your success.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers (viewed online Feb. 23, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Elementary Education Degree?
Completing Liberty University’s online teaching degree in elementary education can give you a thorough background in all aspects of education. You can study education theories and how to create a safe, creative, and fun learning environment. With these skills, you can help children from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds learn and grow.
Liberty’s online bachelor’s degree in elementary education is designed to prepare students with a practical, ethical, and legal understanding of education. This background is necessary to ensure that these students can meet the challenges of current-day teaching.
While completing Liberty’s online bachelor’s in elementary education, you can also study critical learning theories. Through this study, you can create strong portfolios and curriculum that demonstrate your expertise to future employers. If you complete the optional practicum, you can apply these skills in a hands-on teaching environment.
This degree program has been designed with your success in mind. As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to develop a degree program that challenges you to grasp new concepts while respecting your personal commitments – like your job, family, and community. Take the next step in your career by partnering with Liberty: a school with a vested interest in your success.
Elementary Education Degree Online Featured Courses
- EDUC 200 – Principles of Education
- EDUC 205 – Learning Theory and Portfolio Development
- EDUC 304 – Classroom Management for Teachers
- EDUC 305 – Educational Philosophy for Teachers
Highlights of Liberty’s Online Elementary Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online BS in Elementary Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can gain a broad-based foundation in major course areas needed to seek licensure at the master’s level.
- You can develop classroom management skills and study elementary education research to help you keep up with the latest best practices.
- Through the optional practicum built into our online bachelor’s degree in elementary education interdisciplinary studies, you can gain hands-on experience in your community.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Online Elementary Degree Information
- Visit the School of Education page to find out more about teaching resources.
- View the Degree Completion Plan for a list of official course content and suggested sequence.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program does not fulfill licensure requirements.
- For information on how you can complete a 5th year through the Master of Arts in Teaching to fulfill licensure requirements, please contact an Admissions Counselor at (800) 424-9595.
- You can complete a 300-hour practicum or a 45-hour practicum for hands-on experience.
Potential Career Options with an Elementary Education Degree Online
- Education centers
- Education ministry
- Paraprofessional teaching
- Private school
If you complete additional licensure requirements through your state or through the Master of Arts in Teaching, you may pursue state licensure. Students who complete the BS in Elementary Education online degree can be equipped for many roles that do not require licensure. These include education resource management roles, private schools teaching roles that do not require licensure, and tutoring or homeschool teaching roles.
Admission Requirements for Bachelor of Science in Education
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.